Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,513 Posts
Well neuropathy and retinopathy don't get better
Neuropathy can get better. I am living proof. I used to have pain in my feet that was intense. I mean make you jump hurt, I can not sleep hurt. I was on meds for it. I lost weight and am not taking meds any more. I still have tingling from time to time, and cold feet. If I think about it. Which is usually when I an just sitting around resting. But if I am doing anything at all, it goes unnoticed. Yep, I still have it, and it has gotten better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was pre diabetic VA put me on the Move program, it was diet a mild excercise dropped 30 lbs lowered my blood sugar cholestrol. Now I just keep eating the way the program called for.. lots of veggies chicken some fish (not a fish eater) little bread little red meat (I mean little). My goal was 200 Lbs. only 3 lbs to go. When I retired from the Navy I was 190. I'll get there again.

·
Super Moderator
10,513 Posts
I was pre diabetic VA put me on the Move program, it was diet a mild excercise dropped 30 lbs lowered my blood sugar cholestrol. Now I just keep eating the way the program called for.. lots of veggies chicken some fish (not a fish eater) little bread little red meat (I mean little). My goal was 200 Lbs. only 3 lbs to go. When I retired from the Navy I was 190. I'll get there again.
I hear ya on the diet. I lost nearly 100 pounds on the Cave Man/Paleo diet. Heavy on red meat and crucerfus vegetables. Thought I was doing good. A few months ago the diabetes doc put me on a new diet. Heavy on vegetables. He added grains and fruit. Told me I could eat animals with no legs or 2 legs. I said"so you are telling me to eat snakes and people? He responded that he was talking about fish and chicken.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I hear ya on the diet. I lost nearly 100 pounds on the Cave Man/Paleo diet. Heavy on red meat and crucerfus vegetables. Thought I was doing good. A few months ago the diabetes doc put me on a new diet. Heavy on vegetables. He added grains and fruit. Told me I could eat animals with no legs or 2 legs. I said"so you are telling me to eat snakes and people? He responded that he was talking about fish and chicken.
Snakes and people....good one

·
Premium Member
37,308 Posts
Good for you, Rerun. Get serious about it. I know a really nice lady that is dating a new guy, because the father of her kids has been gone for a few years now due to not taking care of diabetes issues. You don’t want to go down that road.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
26,938 Posts
Neuropathy can get better. I am living proof. I used to have pain in my feet that was intense. I mean make you jump hurt, I can not sleep hurt. I was on meds for it. I lost weight and am not taking meds any more. I still have tingling from time to time, and cold feet. If I think about it. Which is usually when I an just sitting around resting. But if I am doing anything at all, it goes unnoticed. Yep, I still have it, and it has gotten better.
No, you treated it. It hasn't been cured. Feel free to look it up.

·
Super Moderator
10,513 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,938 Posts
Uhm...wut? You literally started and ended your post with how it gets better, then tripled down and quoted yourself saying it had gotten better.

Here, we'll say it like this since you seem to have missed the plot.

The damage is permanent and irreversible. Full stop.

The symptoms can be alleviated with treatment.

·
Super Moderator
10,513 Posts
Uhm...wut? You literally started and ended your post with how it gets better, then tripled down and quoted yourself saying it had gotten better.

Here, we'll say it like this since you seem to have missed the plot.

The damage is permanent and irreversible. Full stop.

The symptoms can be alleviated with treatment.
I can just tell you my experience and my results and my documentation. First off neuropathy is not it’s own thing, it is caused by something else. Depending on what causes it, it may be reversed. My neuropathy was caused by infection. My diagnosis was peripheral neuropathy. Peripheral nerves can heal, although recovery is slow. This was the answer I got when I asked. I did not know there was multiple types of neuropathy and figured I would be losing my whole foot.

I had pain from my foot that jolted through my body. Intense pain. They treated the pain with Gabapentin, and treated the infection with a cocktail of intravenous medicines. Finally the bone died and they did an amputation. By the time the amputation healed, I was off all medications dealing with the infection and nerve damage. My last visit with my podiatrist, he told me that I graduated, and that I had regressed. I had to ask the meaning of regressed and it means to revert to a former state.

The big question is do I have diabetic neuropathy. I hope not, but my progression from pre-diabetic to full blown type 2 has been sone 20 years. Half of that has been diagnosed type 2. They say it takes about 25 years, and at that time 1 out of 2 type 2 diabetics will have diabetic neuropathy. Nerve damage from sugar is not reversible. I probably can stop any diabetic neuropathy in its tracks. Which, by the way, is the reason the Endocrinologist changed my diet to a mostly plant based and lean meat diet. I do hope he is correct though and I can come off all my meds in just over 2 years.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
26,938 Posts
I can just tell you my experience and my results and my documentation. First off neuropathy is not it’s own thing, it is caused by something else. Depending on what causes it, it may be reversed. My neuropathy was caused by infection. My diagnosis was peripheral neuropathy. Peripheral nerves can heal, although recovery is slow. This was the answer I got when I asked. I did not know there was multiple types of neuropathy and figured I would be losing my whole foot.

I had pain from my foot that jolted through my body. Intense pain. They treated the pain with Gabapentin, and treated the infection with a cocktail of intravenous medicines. Finally the bone died and they did an amputation. By the time the amputation healed, I was off all medications dealing with the infection and nerve damage. My last visit with my podiatrist, he told me that I graduated, and that I had regressed. I had to ask the meaning of regressed and it means to revert to a former state.

The big question is do I have diabetic neuropathy. I hope not, but my progression from pre-diabetic to full blown type 2 has been sone 20 years. Half of that has been diagnosed type 2. They say it takes about 25 years, and at that time 1 out of 2 type 2 diabetics will have diabetic neuropathy. Nerve damage from sugar is not reversible. I probably can stop any diabetic neuropathy in its tracks. Which, by the way, is the reason the Endocrinologist changed my diet to a mostly plant based and lean meat diet. I do hope he is correct though and I can come off all my meds in just over 2 years.
This entire conversation has been about rerun's diabetic neuropathy, not your peripheral neuropathy. Even peripheral neuropathy only comes with a maybe on if it can be reversed. I have permanent nerve damage in my face and my legs/feet from an infection and a spinal cord injury. My recovery was described by my neurologists...plural...as maybe months, maybe years, but you will NEVER recover to 100%. I've seen 5 neurologists in two states, had multiple corrective surgeries, and am refusing to have yet another one done because I have zero support system available to allow me to be down for up to 8 months during my recovery.

I know exactly what peripheral neuropathy is. I was paralyzed from the waist down exactly 14 years ago on 11/18, until surgery corrected it, and I have been living with the residual pain ever since.

·
Premium Member
37,308 Posts
Hey Rach….you may never recover to 100%, and any recovery may be more about learning to live with it, than actually reversing any damage….

….but better is better, regardless of how you get there. And nerves never regrow or regenerate….except when they do. It’s crazy.

I think you guys are lost in the semantic weeds. Everyone’s on the same team here, brother.👍

·
Premium Member
26,938 Posts
Hey Rach….you may never recover to 100%, and any recovery may be more about learning to live with it, than actually reversing any damage….

….but better is better, regardless of how you get there. And nerves never regrow or regenerate….except when they do. It’s crazy.

I think you guys are lost in the semantic weeds. Everyone’s on the same team here, brother.👍
More like I wouldn’t proceed to tell him how to drive truck just because I drove a firetruck. So maybe leave the medicine to someone who's qualifications are slightly more advanced than being diabetic.

Reactions: ajole

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,693 Posts
More like I wouldn’t proceed to tell him how to drive truck just because I drove a firetruck. So maybe leave the medicine to someone who's qualifications are slightly more advanced than being diabetic.
Seriously??

·
Premium Member
26,938 Posts
Seriously??
Don't be mad because you had no idea that I was a helicopter mechanic and knew the difference between old school hand machining and modern CNC machining.

Even the high school teacher tried to explain it to you and you thought he was validating your statement. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: ajole

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,693 Posts
Don't be mad because you had no idea that I was a helicopter mechanic and knew the difference between old school hand machining and modern CNC machining.

Even the high school teacher tried to explain it to you and you thought he was validating your statement. 🤷‍♂️
Sure

21 - 40 of 50 Posts