When Seconds Count, Police May Be Over An Hour Away

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tallbump, Sep 16, 2015.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

This is not a knock on police officers, but a reinforcement for the need for home defense.

http://bearingarms.com/when-seconds-count-police-may-be-over-an-hour-away/

Last week, a story emerged from Dayton, Ohio where dispatchers confirmed a woman was forced to call into dispatch two times over a span of over sixty minutes. The first call came in approximately 3:00 am on the morning of September 10, 2015 when she was awakened by a stranger banging at her door.

The call transcript reads:

Caller: Someone is trying to break into my house!
    Dispatcher: Can you see someone or hear someone, what’s going on?
    Caller: Someone is banging on the door.

While the emergency dispatcher does ask additional questions, they eventually end the call with the woman, saying “Keep an eye out for the officer and call us back if you hear anything else.”

Unbelievably, more than an hour passed in which time the intruder continued to relentlessly attempt to break into the woman’s home. When she ultimately discovered 22-year-old DeBrandon Dickerson, of Detroit, actively trying to get inside an upstairs window of her home, she was forced to take matters into her own hands and shot the would-be assailant.

The second call transcript reads:

Caller: Someone broke into my home, I shot one!
    Dispatcher: Someone broke into your house and you shot them?
    Caller: Yes.

This time, the dispatcher remained on the line until help arrived. A third emergency call came into dispatch regarding the break in, this time from a relative of Dickerson who found him with a gunshot would to his chest. Dayton Police say at the time of the shooting, there were seven officers and one sergeant on duty, however all were working other calls.

2. Grant

Grant Member

Once the criminal no longer had the element of surprise they were no longer in control. Looks like a cleansing of the gene pool to me.

3. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

On a good day deputies might be 20 minutes away. On a bad day they could be other end of the county 65 miles away... People here fully expect to shoot someone if needed.

4. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

You have the freedom to choose where you live and in exercising that freedom you should also take the consequences.
    I used to live down the street from a police station.
    Didn't take 'em but a minute...;)

5. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

In the 4th house up the road from me lives the patrol supervisor of the county sheriff's department. :cool:

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Well, I contest that everyone is as free as you and I due to economic restrictions. Sometimes a person can only afford certain price ranges. But that just kinda falls under the "sometimes life sucks" category.

That said, it's freaking DAYTON, OHIO! One of the major cities in Ohio. Response time shouldn't be more than a few minutes.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. Smoky the bear says "Only YOU can be responsible for your safety".

OK he didn't really say that, but he should have.

8. Rerun

Rerun Member

When I lived in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia during the middle 1990's, typical LEO response times were 24-51 minutes depending on mostly the weather.

One just did for themselves as the situation arose.

Good thing she was armed.

eldar

9. GLUGLUG

GLUGLUG Supporting Member

NC
    Another good case for 2A. Wonder if it was a "scary black rifle"?