Where are all the Primers?

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by lklawson, Sep 18, 2020.

1. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

I was on the phone ordering a few small parts for my T/C Hawken and asked if they had any #11 percussion caps. To my surprise, they did.

Beats a one hour trip to BassPro Shops. Graf and Sons is out of stock.

moona11 and histed like this.
  2. histed

histed Supporting Member

As of yesterday, MidwayUSA had them. Didn't check today - my percussion rifle is still in the build phase

3. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    I appreciate your offer but I do have a good stash of commercial 9 mm on hand...my foray into reloading is to "flatten the curve" on higher prices and shortages in the future.

If you're planning in doing any reloading in the near future in the lower 48 you might wanna "bite the bullet" and ship some if the primers to your new destination. I keep hearing that it could be well into the middle of next year till primers get back on the shelf.

4. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

I try not to do much business with MidwayUSA. Graf and Sons is a local dealer for me.

5. histed

histed Supporting Member

That makes sense. I order from both. Pricing - with shipping - is usually close

6. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

I probably will do that. It's the powder too. Canada doesn't like when you bring gun powder into the country either.

7. missiledefender

I used to live down the street from Midway (Boonville, MO) and it's a great place to get stuff and very reasonable, great customer service.

8. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    Canada is just grumpy. :(

I've had no issues getting powder locally, probably cuz of it doesn't have as many secondary operations involved (tiny parts, brass, primer material, individual packaging, etc.)

I've had two relatives move back from AK, one military and the other worked for BP. Moving up and back was a hassle in both cases. Good luck.

9. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

@missiledefender , the last time i checked, you can't ship primers as a private citizen and must be HAZMAT certified to do so because they're classed as a 1.4 explosive...

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I've read that you can legally ship primed, otherwise unloaded, brass as ORM-D.

I'm trying to find the details.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I was half wrong. You CAN legally ship primed brass. But only through private carrier, not USPS. It's not legally required to be ORM-D or any other HASMAT.

Here's a few off-site links and some details:
    http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/mailing-shipping-primed-brass-the-regs-and-the-law.3812580/
    https://ballistictools.com/store/ballistic-tools-delivery-policy

Cases, primed (up to and including 50 caliber) are regulated for shipment by ground only through 49CFR § 172.102 SP(special provision) 50 that states:
    " Cases, cartridge, empty with primer which are made of metallic or plastic casings and meeting the classification criteria of Division 1.4 are not regulated for domestic transportation"
    49CFR § 172.102 (page 312) - http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2010-title49-vol2/pdf/CFR-2010-title49-vol2-sec172-102.pdf

Primed cases meet the classification criteria of Division 1.4c UN0379 - however they are exempted and classified as NON-REGULATED (NOT ORM-D, NOT HAZ-MAT, NOT the new "Y" Limited Quantities classification that will replace ORM-D). Some manufacturers (as per the MSDS) classify their primed cases as UN0055, but the same DOT 1.4c classification applies, as does SP50.

Packaging for primed cases is regulated by 49CFR §173.62 - Packaging instruction #136, which specifies that the primed cases have to be in a bag or box, then packed in a UN 4G standard box - which is defined by 49 CFR §178.601 (g)(2). So - you can't just ship them to your buddy in a shoebox, but most of us out here have received boxes of reloading components from various vendors, and most/all of these shipping boxes meet this criteria. For more mind-bending regulatory details, refer to 178.601.
    49CFR §173.62 - http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title49-vol2/pdf/CFR-2011-title49-vol2-sec173-62.pdf
    49 CFR §178.601 (g)(2) - http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2010-title49-vol2/pdf/CFR-2010-title49-vol2-sec178-601.pdf

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

12. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

If that had been part of the conversation I would have covered that, but he was talking about shipping straight primers.

"Last time I checked" was code for, "when I was a certified Hazardous Materials Operations Technician six years ago..."

13. missiledefender

They ARE grumpy. Damn Brits are like that.

Quavodus and mn_doggie like this.
  14. missiledefender

No problem, I know. I have access to Haz Mat Personnel.

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

the unspoken suggestion was that he clean and size his brass then load all of the primers into it so that he has no free floating primers. :)

Peace favor your sword m (obile)