Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

41 - 60 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,758 Posts
I have a dealer account with Graf and Sons. Pay less than retail and no sales tax.

MidwayUSA will give me the no sales tax, but no break on prices.
So it's not that you TRY not to do business with Midway. It's that you get better deals on a wholesale site, so you prefer to shop there.

·
Administrator
24,489 Posts
So it's not that you TRY not to do business with Midway. It's that you get better deals on a wholesale site, so you prefer to shop there.
Isn't shopping at your preferred location the same as TRYING not to shop anywhere else? :stir:

·
Banned
453 Posts
Nothing wrong with that! I am good as long as its pro American and pro gun. I will pay more if useing small shops because if we ever lose the small gun shops.... the firearms industry will be over in this country.

I would hope the overwhelming majority of these online suppliers are pro America. If there are some that are not I need to know about them. I wont touch most of the franchises anymore. I think Academy is still good for now... might have changed. I am not sure.

·
Banned
453 Posts
Isn't shopping at your preferred location the same as TRYING not to shop anywhere else? :stir:
Sometimes there are exceptions. I prefer to help my dealer as much as possible but once in a great while I have to source stuff elsewhere. Its not that I have anything against the other places I am just loyal to him .... as he has been to me.

I wont touch anything anti american though. Goes for clothes or almost anything else. I wont buy new clothes not made in the USA. I just buy used if I have to buy foreign stuff. Same goes for electronics... most of my stuff is old tech or was bought used.

·
Administrator
24,489 Posts
Sometimes there are exceptions. I prefer to help my dealer as much as possible but once in a great while I have to source stuff elsewhere. Its not that I have anything against the other places I am just loyal to him .... as he has been to me.

I wont touch anything anti american though. Goes for clothes or almost anything else. I wont buy new clothes not made in the USA. I just buy used if I have to buy foreign stuff. Same goes for electronics... most of my stuff is old tech or was bought used.
US textiles make up $25B of our national exports and hold one of the largest shares of that global market. Some of those foreign made products use American made textiles...

·
Banned
453 Posts
US textiles make up $25B of our national exports and hold one of the largest shares of that global market. Some of those foreign made products use American made textiles...
Understood. My hardest thing to source is athletic footwear. Its almost impossible to source it. I pretty much have to buy pre owned or keep fixing up my older shoes. New balance used to at least be assembled here but that might have changed.

I better not drift off anymore. I wasnt trying to turn this into an attire thread. It was just an example of my approach on the post you made. I am pretty far outside the norm on my approach. I like to know where my money is going. Too many folks just dont give it a thought. I cannot give hollywood any money either... thats another example.

Point being... I prefer certain places but I have nothing against others as long as they are in good standing with my Pro American anti communist ideology. There are lots of good American craftsman out there. I wont buy a brand new foreign made firearm either. I will buy used though.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
I was looking for some SPP's for a friend a bit ago and found a guy on another site not too far from me who would sell me 500 at pre shortage prices, so we took a drive. While there in casual conversation I mentioned I needed to find some SRP's and he offered to sell me 300, same price. So we came home with 800 total primers for the old price, SCORE!
Flash forward to yesterday, I get a call from a LGS asking if I still wanted my reserve for SRP's for $41 a brick, absolutely! I forgot that I had put in a reserve for a brick back in September. All I need them for are some Federal 6.5 Creedmoors that I bought and shot that are SRP rather than LRP brass. A local retail gets these Federal's in from time to time with no high mark up. So now I can get factory rounds if I need them and reload the brass.
Super Score! :bacon::bacon::bacon:

Reactions: OldOutlaw

·
Premium Member
35,758 Posts
I don' think so. I think that TRYING to shop at your preferred store is different from TRYING TO AVOID a given other store or stores.

But then again, you avoid hitting things in the road by looking at the space you're trying to fit into, not by eyeballing the rock or rut you're trying to miss.

So...maybe?

·
Administrator
24,489 Posts
I don' think so. I think that TRYING to shop at your preferred store is different from TRYING TO AVOID a given other store or stores.

But then again, you avoid hitting things in the road by looking at the space you're trying to fit into, not by eyeballing the rock or rut you're trying to miss.

So...maybe?
Semantics says trying to do one thing means you're trying not to do something else...

·
Premium Member
35,758 Posts
Semantics says trying to do one thing means you're trying not to do something else...
Actually, trying to do something says nothing about trying NOT to do something else, unless they are mutually exclusive.

These two options aren't.

I think....

·
Administrator
24,489 Posts
Actually, trying to do something says nothing about trying NOT to do something else, unless they are mutually exclusive.

These two options aren't.

I think....
Are you trying to win a football game, or trying not to lose?

Are you trying to avoid that pothole, or are you trying to not to hit it?

Are you trying to shop at local grocery stores, or are you trying not to shop at Walmart?

Is he trying to shop at Graf and Sons, or is he trying not to shop at Midway?

If he says he tries to avoid shopping at Midway because he gets better deals at Graf and Sons, then he is purposefully avoiding them.

Now if you want to get technical i could argue the fact that the event is him shopping, and the results are a purchase at Grafs or a purchase at Midway. That would make them mutually exclusive. Then there is the argument that a shopping trip at Grafs is independent of a trip to Midway, and neither trip affects the outcome of the other. Then we can further muddy the water by saying his shopping is mutually inclusive because he could end up shopping at both retailers during a particular shopping trip.

TLDR?

The man said he avoids Midway because he gets better deals at Graf and Sons. Who are we to argue?

·
Premium Member
35,758 Posts
That's not what he said....

·
Administrator
24,489 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,758 Posts
"I try not to do much business with MidwayUSA. Graf and Sons is a local dealer for me."

Literally NOT the same as "...he avoids Midway because he gets better deals at Graf and Sons."

Yeah, he explained it later, I got it.....so why are we now arguing semantics?

·
Administrator
24,489 Posts
"I try not to do much business with MidwayUSA. Graf and Sons is a local dealer for me."

Literally NOT the same as "...he avoids Midway because he gets better deals at Graf and Sons."

Yeah, he explained it later, I got it.....so why are we now arguing semantics?
You started it a week ago and refused to accept his clarification. Then started it back up again today So, why are you still arguing about it?

·
Premium Member
35,758 Posts
Well....it took me a while to see your response, so it wasn't until today that I responded to you.

So NOW I'm responding to YOUR failure to let it go...

So THERE!!!!:p

BTW...Trying to win is NOT the same as Trying not to lose...I rest my case.

·
Administrator
24,489 Posts
Well....it took me a while to see your response, so it wasn't until today that I responded to you.

So NOW I'm responding to YOUR failure to let it go...

So THERE!!!!:p

BTW...Trying to win is NOT the same as Trying not to lose...I rest my case.
And FYI, trying not to do something is the definition of avoiding.

·
Premium Member
35,758 Posts
And FYI, trying not to do something is the definition of avoiding.
Sigh....again...that's NOT what was said.

Avoiding is NOT the same as taking a specific positive action to literally DO another thing for it's own reasons....which is what he was saying he was doing.

You're arguing the the.....inverse? Converse? Something backwards or inside out.

So tell me...if Midway had a stupid good sale and beat Graf's...would he still "avoid" Midway, or would he buy there?

Because if he DOES buy at the sale price, then he is not intentionally avoiding Midway, is he.

He's not ACTUALLY TRYING to avoid Midway. He's TRYING to use Graf's. They are NOT the same things, even if he ends up not using Midway as much, or even at all.

The fact that TRYING to positively take an action to do one thing leads to the accidental or coincidental negation of the other action... WITHOUT intent... does NOT indicate that this other thing is the goal of the action in question.

If what you are saying is true...then he would actually buy from Grafs even if it cost him more than Midway.

·
Administrator
24,489 Posts
Sigh....again...that's NOT what was said.

Avoiding is NOT the same as taking a specific positive action to literally DO another thing for it's own reasons....which is what he was saying he was doing.

You're arguing the the.....inverse? Converse? Something backwards or inside out.

So tell me...if Midway had a stupid good sale and beat Graf's...would he still "avoid" Midway, or would he buy there?

Because if he DOES buy at the sale price, then he is not intentionally avoiding Midway, is he.

He's not ACTUALLY TRYING to avoid Midway. He's TRYING to use Graf's. They are NOT the same things, even if he ends up not using Midway as much, or even at all.

The fact that TRYING to positively take an action to do one thing leads to the accidental or coincidental negation of the other action... WITHOUT intent... does NOT indicate that this other thing is the goal of the action in question.

If what you are saying is true...then he would actually buy from Grafs even if it cost him more than Midway.
Again, I'll just point out every single thing I've posted up until now, including his own quoted words of trying not to shop at Midway because he gets better deals. That is the definition of avoidance.

If the event we're defining is the shopping itself, and the results of said shopping is either making a purchase at Graf and Sons or buying from Midway, and he purposefully chooses Graf and Sons because he is getting a better deal there, it means he made a conscious choice to AVOID paying more than he wanted to by choosing not to buy from Midway. Even if the situation is he knows he usually gets a better deal from Graf and Sons so he doesn't bother looking at Midway, he's still purposefully not using, AKA avoiding, Midway.

Here's another example for you. If I always use 5th St because I prefer dealing with two stop signs instead of using 3rd St because it has 2 stoplights, am I not avoiding 3rd because 5th is more convenient to me? Now lets say I see both lights just happen to be green on 3rd and I shoot down there to get to the store. Does that suddenly negate my normal decision to avoid 3rd because I chose not to go with my normal route down 5th for the first time in 3 months?

You're sitting here trying to disprove his own stated intent. All you're being is an argumentative ass trying to out teach people who knew exactly what he meant and don't care if you think he's wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
I will buy from MidwayUSA occasionally, but it is never my first, nor last choice. Paying instate sales tax, possible HAZMAT and shipping is not a sound decision when I can drive to Graf and Sons and pick it up in person, while avoiding full retail prices, sales tax, HAZMAT and shipping.

Maybe that helps resolve your arguments.

Reactions: ajole
41 - 60 of 124 Posts