Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
I will buy from MidwayUSA occasionally, but it is never my first, nor last choice. Paying instate sales tax, possible HAZMAT and shipping is not a sound decision when I can drive to Graf and Sons and pick it up in person, while avoiding full retail prices, sales tax, HAZMAT and shipping.

Maybe that helps resolve your arguments.
Nah. It's not really an argument. This is just a healthy debate over semantics.

@ajole , I'm going to go cook dinner. Egg fried rice and pork with broccoli in sauce iffen your hungry.

(See how actively choosing to go cook helped me avoid further engaging in this debate? :stir:)

Reactions: ajole

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,804 Posts
I will buy from MidwayUSA occasionally, but it is never my first, nor last choice. Paying instate sales tax, possible HAZMAT and shipping is not a sound decision when I can drive to Graf and Sons and pick it up in person, while avoiding full retail prices, sales tax, HAZMAT and shipping.

We never resolve them just forget about the last one and start another.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,804 Posts
Nah. It's not really an argument. This is just a healthy debate over semantics.

@ajole , I'm going to go cook dinner. Egg fried rice and pork with broccoli in sauce iffen your hungry.

(See how actively choosing to go cook helped me avoid further engaging in this debate? :stir:)
Broccoli is best served in the trash

·
Premium Member
35,667 Posts

Doesn't resolve it, just makes me more right.:banana:

As Rach said, this isn't an argument, it's a discussion. If we were in the same room, we'd be swapping rounds buying each other drinks, (Mt Dew for me) and maybe some wings.:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
Doesn't resolve it, just makes me more right.:banana:

As Rach said, this isn't an argument, it's a discussion. If we were in the same room, we'd be swapping rounds buying each other drinks, (Mt Dew for me) and maybe some wings.:thumbsup:
Mt Dew was also the only vice of the boy's Scout Master. He was a Latter-Day Saint. Irritated the crap out of him that I smoked. I think he kept me around because I could stuff 7 kids in the burban, and had no problem towing the trailer.

Reactions: ajole

·
Registered
262 Posts
Everyone is having trouble getting primers right now, particularly small pistol and small rifle.

I heard that there are, basically, only 3 major manufacturers of primers, two of which are in Europe (one in Germany). And the European ones were all shut down for an expended COVID period. Only just now coming back online. Expected to ship the first major shipments to the U.S. some time in October.

Probably most of those will go to actually ammo manufacturers. Handloaders probably won't be able to find them until December, or maybe next year.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Fed Arm has a website where they want $1999. for 5k small rifle primers! The primers are made in Russia supposedly by US machines to SAAMI spec. I wrote 'em and told them they were price gouging crooks, their response was that they are charging that so they can build robotic machines here in the U.S. to supply the market...... I'll bet you can guess my response. There's another site whose name I've forgotten that wants you to pre-order and pay up front for a bulk [email protected] $.27 a primer.

·
Super Moderator
28,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Fed Arm has a website where they want $1999. for 5k small rifle primers! The primers are made in Russia supposedly by US machines to SAAMI spec. I wrote 'em and told them they were price gouging crooks, their response was that they are charging that so they can build robotic machines here in the U.S. to supply the market...... I'll bet you can guess my response. There's another site whose name I've forgotten that wants you to pre-order and pay up front for a bulk [email protected] $.27 a primer.
I've seen it reported multiple times now that there are at least three primer plants being built here in the U.S. They weren't reporting who or where (but it shouldn't be hard to find) but apparently it's major brands (Winchester?) and most of the product is expected to be going to building their own ammo.

I don't see the plants coming online any quicker than any other plants. End of the year, soonest, at a guess.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
I've seen it reported multiple times now that there are at least three primer plants being built here in the U.S. They weren't reporting who or where (but it shouldn't be hard to find) but apparently it's major brands (Winchester?) and most of the product is expected to be going to building their own ammo.

I don't see the plants coming online any quicker than any other plants. End of the year, soonest, at a guess.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Vista just announced their latest acquisition, Remington ammunition, is ready in all respects and churning out ammunition 24/7 along with their CCI and Federal ammunition and component manufacturing facilities. They blame production shortfalls by companies like Remington (old) for the stock shortage because they were hoarding component stocks and not producing enough ammunition. Remember how old Remington over produced AR's and killed its own profitability back during the Obama era? Looks like they tried to do the opposite with ammo and wanted to be the only company capable of producing ammo during a shortage...

Reactions: lklawson

·
Registered
262 Posts

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I actually work for one of the largest suppliers in the world of the copper and brass cups that are used to extrude jackets and cases from. I'm not sure if we just ship strip that primers are punched out of, they're not formed at my plant. We supply Remington, Hornaday, CCI, Speer, IWI, Winchester etc. Winchester used to be part of the same group as Olin which is now owned by Weiland metals (they are now the biggest in my field). my company doesn't supply any finished metal except roofing copper. The rest of the various alloys go out in different size coils and cuts.

·
Registered
262 Posts
That's what I did. When the last shortages and runs started: I switched to BP for my fun shooting. I assure you that a brace of .44 or .36 BP Revolvers would slow down a home invader. Less paperwork too, buy them on line and I think that you can own them in most jurisdictions...even by people with "coloured pasts-IE felons".

I understand disarming most of them but everyone has the right to self defense and those that have changed (like my brother) their ways, I am okay with them getting the privilege back.

Obviously it is not a "right". Otherwise, it could not be taken from you. That "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" thing has morphed into privileges.
Yeah. but the cap and ball pistols are a bitch to try and reload in a hurry!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Correct, check your local laws. However, BP weapons are listed as "weapons" and not as "firearms", in a lot of jurisdictions.

If youre on here, you have Google, make sure.
In NYS you can purchase a black powder pistol without a background check or a permit. You just can't load it, ever. Unless you register it which requires a pistol permit,lol.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Vista just announced their latest acquisition, Remington ammunition, is ready in all respects and churning out ammunition 24/7 along with their CCI and Federal ammunition and component manufacturing facilities. They blame production shortfalls by companies like Remington (old) for the stock shortage because they were hoarding component stocks and not producing enough ammunition. Remember how old Remington over produced AR's and killed its own profitability back during the Obama era? Looks like they tried to do the opposite with ammo and wanted to be the only company capable of producing ammo during a shortage...
NOT TRUE, the whole problem with the supply chain has been Covid hitting the various suppliers and the earlier imposed restrictions. I know this because I work for one of the biggest suppliers!

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
NOT TRUE, the whole problem with the supply chain has been Covid hitting the various suppliers and the earlier imposed restrictions. I know this because I work for one of the biggest suppliers!
Take it up with Vista. Not like they don't own Remington, Federal, Speer, CCi, Hevi Shot, Alliant Powders, and more. So if a major ammunition and component manufacturer comes out and publicly says a company like Remington was starving the downstream market with production shortfalls, then I kind of believe them over some random ass dude on the internet...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Take it up with Vista. Not like they don't own Remington, Federal, Speer, CCi, Hevi Shot, Alliant Powders, and more. So if a major ammunition and component manufacturer comes out and publicly says a company like Remington was starving the downstream market with production shortfalls, then I kind of believe them over some random ass dude on the internet...
Frankly. I don't give a shit what you believe! I work for the company that supplies better than 1/2 of their material and I know what's been going on. Incidentally the president of Hornaday actually did come out and told people back in February that the problem was due to Covid jamming the pipeline but what does he know, he's just some random ass president. If you knew anything about Vista you'd also know that most of their VPs and dept. heads don't know their ass from a hole in the ground!

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
Frankly. I don't give a shit what you believe! I work for the company that supplies better than 1/2 of their material and I know what's been going on. Incidentally the president of Hornaday actually did come out and told people back in February that the problem was due to Covid jamming the pipeline but what does he know, he's just some random ass president. If you knew anything about Vista you'd also know that most of their VPs and dept. heads don't know their ass from a hole in the ground!
So if you're so confident in your intel, and you're claiming to be the primary source of said intel, then say where you work. You're currently poo pooing Vista for doing the exact same thing you're doing.

Multi-billion dollar industry giant saying they're cranking out ammunition as fast as they can and the facility they recently acquired was all sorts of screwed up.....

You claiming to be an industry insider with direct access to pipeline information but not providing a source other than because you said so....

So are you claiming to be from Northrup Grumman or General Dynamics? BAE is in Rome and Endicott and you're in Buffalo. Those are the only other major industry suppliers on par with Vista.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Does General Dynamics supply Vista with raw material? not for ammunition. The only part of Vista that I've heard give the kind info out that you're talking about is the new promotional video put out by the Remington ammo factory that just re-opened in Arkansas. You really don't need to be a rocket scientist to realize that when one part of a supply chain is stopped, the whole line does. Nor do you have to be an industry insider. When Covid hit the federal government put in very restrictive guidelines to follow. There were times when entire divisions had to shut down and everybody on my end is rushing to catch up! people were being offered double time to work over 8 hours when material was available so it could be supplied and contracts kept. This is still happening not just at my place but all over the supply chain. As I stated earlier the President of Hornaday came out and said as much earlier in the year. They don't want a shortage of ammo, they want to sell it! Give it a rest for god's sake!

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
Does General Dynamics supply Vista with raw material? not for ammunition. The only part of Vista that I've heard give the kind info out that you're talking about is the new promotional video put out by the Remington ammo factory that just re-opened in Arkansas. You really don't need to be a rocket scientist to realize that when one part of a supply chain is stopped, the whole line does. Nor do you have to be an industry insider. When Covid hit the federal government put in very restrictive guidelines to follow. There were times when entire divisions had to shut down and everybody on my end is rushing to catch up! people were being offered double time to work over 8 hours when material was available so it could be supplied and contracts kept. This is still happening not just at my place but all over the supply chain. As I stated earlier the President of Hornaday came out and said as much earlier in the year. They don't want a shortage of ammo, they want to sell it! Give it a rest for god's sake!
You yourself claimed to be an industry insider employed by their major supplier. So you either are what you say you are or you're full of shit. Refusing to provide any substantiation to your being employed by a major industry supplier claims means your full of shit. So who do you work for in Buffalo? Keep in mind the fact that I grew up there...

·
Registered
262 Posts
You yourself claimed to be an industry insider employed by their major supplier. So you either are what you say you are or you're full of shit. Refusing to provide any substantiation to your being employed by a major industry supplier claims means your full of shit. So who do you work for in Buffalo? Keep in mind the fact that I grew up there...
Then you should know "The Brass"

61 - 80 of 116 Posts