Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
And if you don't know where I'm talking about you didn't grow up there and you're full of shit!
I could break out the old HS yearbook. My sister moved to East Amherst, my father used to own the old Drexel Heritage store that is now a Kay Jewelers on Transit Rd by the Eastern Hills Mall, mom sold her house in Cheektowaga, I shipped out of RSS Buffalo, and the recruiters office was on Sheridan Drive near Duff's, and I used to go drinking at Pauly K's Bourbon Street near Canisius. I think my little brother just but a bunch of real estate to develop in Lockport and Clarence.

So yeah, I might know the area a bit.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I thought American got bought out by a German company?
It's still there, actually I'll give you some "industry insider" info. It went from American to Outokumpo (Nordic) , to Lavata (still Nordic) to Aurubis (German) who Wanted to sell us to Weiland Metals but they wanted to sell the whole rolled products division which included several plants in Europe and Weiland didn't want those. So they bought Olin metals our biggest competitor in the States. Pre Covid The Union had agreed to extend our existing contract because the sale hurt us. Now we may go on strike which I think personally could end this plant!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Unfortunately, life happens and we don't always wind up where we want or have the ability to just pick up and go. I have a couple years until retirement (at the longest) and then things may change. Unfortunately a lot of the places I thought I might want to go to are starting to have the same problems!

·
Premium Member
8,483 Posts
Unfortunately, life happens and we don't always wind up where we want or have the ability to just pick up and go. I have a couple years until retirement (at the longest) and then things may change. Unfortunately a lot of the places I thought I might want to go to are starting to have the same problems!
Here in Texas, a new Bill, is making its way through the Texas Legislature that would allow non-felon Citizens and Green Card folk the right to carry concealed without a permit.

I hope it makes it to Governor Abbot.

eldar

·
Registered
262 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse but "Guncranks" which is a pod cast by three journalists that have over a 100years of industry insider knowledge and connections between them just released a podcast today on "What's really causing the shortage on firearms and ammunition". You can google it or try :

You also might want to google "Tactical Shit News" new article that just came out about Red Flag laws.

·
Premium Member
35,667 Posts
Here in Texas, a new Bill, is making its way through the Texas Legislature that would allow non-felon Citizens and Green Card folk the right to carry concealed without a permit.

I hope it makes it to Governor Abbot.
eldar
Heard that it passed the house, headed to the senate?
Good luck!

Not to beat a dead horse but "Guncranks" which is a pod cast by three journalists that have over a 100years of industry insider knowledge and connections between them just released a podcast today on "What's really causing the shortage on firearms and ammunition". You can google it or try :

You also might want to google "Tactical Shit News" new article that just came out about Red Flag laws.
How about a quick synopsis?

Supply chain issues, gov't contracts taking precedence, or simply withholding to reduce supply and jack up prices?

What did they say?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Heard that it passed the house, headed to the senate?
Good luck!

How about a quick synopsis?

Supply chain issues, gov't contracts taking precedence, or simply withholding to reduce supply and jack up prices?

What did they say?
I was kinda' hoping to avoid that, lol. I got into a protracted "discussion" with Rachgier about this . Basically the main reason is Covid disruptions in the pipeline. According to Tom McHale it's a combination of Covid disrupting the entire pipeline and all the new gun owners out there. With all the new gunowners if we all bought just one box of ammo there would be 50million rounds shipped. The pecking order is usually firearm manufacturers for testing, Military and law enforcement, then the public.
Firearm manufacturers are holding back new models because they can't get adequate supply for safe testing according to these guys.
One thing they talk about that I kinda' disagree with is pricing. There's Capitalism and then there's price gouging. These guys feel the higher prices we're seeing are justified because people are willing to pay them. I can't EVER justify charging $1999. for 5k of primers! If you doubt it go to Fedarm's website and look at their small rifle primers.
at any rate these guys are well informed and pretty entertaining sometimes. It's worth a look at their podcast which is on YouTube.

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
And yet you have a massive ammunition and component manufacturer saying they've been pumping out product at full speed 24/7 but Remington was purposefully holding back and shorting production for years and they think other companies are doing the same thing....

I'm still going to take the word of the ammunition manufacturer over some Podcaster because the business numbers are a matter of public record and can be verified. Remington got broken up and sold to the highest bidder due to shitty business practices, shitty management, shitty products, and shitty customer service, along all the other shitty decision they were making. It's not a stretch to believe that they were doing some of it on purpose as a hedge that failed.

·
Registered
262 Posts
And yet you have a massive ammunition and component manufacturer saying they've been pumping out product at full speed 24/7 but Remington was purposefully holding back and shorting production for years and they think other companies are doing the same thing....

I'm still going to take the word of the ammunition manufacturer over some Podcaster because the business numbers are a matter of public record and can be verified. Remington got broken up and sold to the highest bidder due to shitty business practices, shitty management, shitty products, and shitty customer service, along all the other shitty decision they were making. It's not a stretch to believe that they were doing some of it on purpose as a hedge that failed.
I totally agree , They were owned like too many companies, by an investment company that only cared about maximizing profits without putting money in, then dumping them. Where we disagree is I don't base my opinion of the entire industry on one company.

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
I totally agree , They were owned like too many companies, by an investment company that only cared about maximizing profits without putting money in, then dumping them. Where we disagree is I don't base my opinion of the entire industry on one company.
One company that owns an extremely massive marketshare of the ammunition, component, and hunting equipment manufacturing and distribution that is rivaled only by three major military contractors and only in the production of ammunition and that was BEFORE said company bought up Remington.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Registered
262 Posts
One company that owns an extremely massive marketshare of the ammunition, component, and hunting equipment manufacturing and distribution that is rivaled only by three major military contractors and only in the production of ammunition and that was BEFORE said company bought up Remington.
You know what Rach, if it will shut you up... You're right!
Jeeze, ajole see what started up again.

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
You know what Rach, if it will shut you up... You're right!
Jeeze, ajole see what started up again.
It won't. Because you're still refusing to admit that the largest civilian manufacturer of ammunition in the US is calling out the rest of the industry for shorting production using Remington as an example.

·
Registered
262 Posts
That's the great thing about this country, we're all entitled to our opinions! One question though could you show me where anybody else in the Vista group supports your opinion other than Remington (who is NOT that big of a market player when compared to Federal, Hornaday, Barnes , Nosler, Fiocchi, Speer. Berger, Winchester, Sierra, IWI international, etc)

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
You should pay attention to the market more often. Barnes and Sierra are one and the same now.

Vista is Federal, Remington, CCi, Speer, Hevi-shot, and Alliant Powders.

81 - 100 of 116 Posts