Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
121 - 139 of 139 Posts

·
BoolitMaster
202 Posts
Those damn hoarders. If it makes you feel better. I have alot of everything. And haven't bought anything in over 2 years
Same here, I've been through this sort of thing around four time already and this time is probably the worst and longest stretch of shortages I have seen. I learned from the first go around and made sure I didn't find myself wanting.

·
Premium Member
6,850 Posts
Hoard, much...?

eldar
He may not, but I have since 1989. Hey, I got a full case of 5000 Berdan primers I will sell. For Mosins and 7.62 x 39.
Wanna come here and get um?

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
I managed to get 3k SPP this morning for $120 out the door.
IMG_3635.jpg

·
Super Moderator
28,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
I managed to get 3k SPP this morning for $120 out the door. View attachment 73344
That's a normal price! Last Friday I went down to one of my favorite LGS's and checked. Guy went in the back and came back out with a box that had a $75 price tag on it. I smiled told him thank you for your time but I wasn't ready to pay that much for primers yet. He got aggravated at me. He didn't say anything but you could see it in his sour expression. Told me that's what primers are running for now. I replied that he was probably right but I think if I wait another 6 months prices will come back down to closer to what I'm used to seeing before.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

·
Premium Member
9,327 Posts
That's a normal price! Last Friday I went down to one of my favorite LGS's and checked. Guy went in the back and came back out with a box that had a $75 price tag on it. I smiled told him thank you for your time but I wasn't ready to pay that much for primers yet. He got aggravated at me. He didn't say anything but you could see it in his sour expression. Told me that's what primers are running for now. I replied that he was probably right but I think if I wait another 6 months prices will come back down to closer to what I'm used to seeing before.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)
I am getting CCI for $60 per thousand. I will pay that. Don’t think we will ever see them for $40, like they were before the drought. I think they will level out between $50 - $55 per 1000.

The imported primers for $40 is not a bad deal, I would of bought them just to have them, but the price is still elevated. The European primers were $25 - $30 per 1000 before the drought.

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
I am getting CCI for $60 per thousand. I will pay that. Don’t think we will ever see them for $40, like they were before the drought. I think they will level out between $50 - $55 per 1000.

The imported primers for $40 is not a bad deal, I would of bought them just to have them, but the price is still elevated. The European primers were $25 - $30 per 1000 before the drought.
If you can get primers, I may have to talk Mama into a Georgia road trip.

·
Premium Member
9,327 Posts
There is a shop near the 2nd house thatchas them, but he is expensive. There is another about 1/2 way between the 1st house and my mom's where i picked up the CCI primers for $60.And a 3rd shop just a couple miles from my mom,s that have them too.

None of them have had them long. Relituvely new development.

Reactions: histed

·
Super Moderator
28,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·

I'd probably have paid $60 and I would pay $50-$55. But I'm not prepared yet to pay $75.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'd probably have paid $60 and I would pay $50-$55. But I'm not prepared yet to pay $75.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
"That's what _ is going for these days." is gouger talk that I hear more and more frequently. I fully believe in capitalism, supply vs. demand, etc, but if retailers have really suffered such steep increases in costs to keep inventory, why is it that I can find small retailers within the same state with one offering primers, for instance, at $70/1000 but I was able to buy 1000 small pistol primers for $50 from another? Both said they "...couldn't keep primers in stock." so I have to assume that the small pistol primers I bought for $50 weren't sitting around from pre-COVID. It's the same with ammo and everything else... you see retailers/wholesalers charging $50/box for plain old 9mm FMJ when I'm seeing prices at other suppliers <$30 for the same box of ammo. The excuse given by the sellers who are $20 higher, "That's the market right now Bud."

Maybe I'm just getting old, but as much as I like to see a robust manufacturing industry, I'm legitimately worried that artificial scarcity caused by hoarders, etc, and artificially inflated prices caused by gougers is causing good members of the firearm community to go find other things to do with their time and money. It's not just some imagined problem, I've seen it happening already and it's frustrating. Rant over.

·
Premium Member
9,327 Posts
"That's what _ is going for these days." is gouger talk that I hear more and more frequently. I fully believe in capitalism, supply vs. demand, etc, but if retailers have really suffered such steep increases in costs to keep inventory, why is it that I can find small retailers within the same state with one offering primers, for instance, at $70/1000 but I was able to buy 1000 small pistol primers for $50 from another? Both said they "...couldn't keep primers in stock." so I have to assume that the small pistol primers I bought for $50 weren't sitting around from pre-COVID. It's the same with ammo and everything else... you see retailers/wholesalers charging $50/box for plain old 9mm FMJ when I'm seeing prices at other suppliers <$30 for the same box of ammo. The excuse given by the sellers who are $20 higher, "That's the market right now Bud."

Maybe I'm just getting old, but as much as I like to see a robust manufacturing industry, I'm legitimately worried that artificial scarcity caused by hoarders, etc, and artificially inflated prices caused by gougers is causing good members of the firearm community to go find other things to do with their time and money. It's not just some imagined problem, I've seen it happening already and it's frustrating. Rant over.
For legitimate retailers prices up to .075 per primer are normal right now as demand has outstripped supply. Prices are falling as supply is improving, but I seriously doubt that prices will ever be where they were pre-pandemic.

Same with ammunition. Prices are dropping. I have bought 223 and 308 during the pandemic. Prices are steady at $1 per round. 9mm went to &22 per 50 at the range I belong to. It’s down to $18 past weekend. I doubt we will ever see it below $10 again.

I did buy some 350 LGND last week for $12, up from $9 pre pandemic, and I bought some primers at $39 per 1000 a few months ago. Primers were NOS.

There were more gun sales in 2020 than ever recorded, and 2021 looks to be exceeding 2020 sales. That is what has driven ammunition and reloading supply sales, panic buying and hoarding has caused some of it as well. As long as demand stays high, prices will not drop too much.

·
Registered
101 Posts
For legitimate retailers prices up to .075 per primer are normal right now as demand has outstripped supply. Prices are falling as supply is improving, but I seriously doubt that prices will ever be where they were pre-pandemic.

Same with ammunition. Prices are dropping. I have bought 223 and 308 during the pandemic. Prices are steady at $1 per round. 9mm went to &22 per 50 at the range I belong to. It’s down to $18 past weekend. I doubt we will ever see it below $10 again.

I did buy some 350 LGND last week for $12, up from $9 pre pandemic, and I bought some primers at $39 per 1000 a few months ago. Primers were NOS.

There were more gun sales in 2020 than ever recorded, and 2021 looks to be exceeding 2020 sales. That is what has driven ammunition and reloading supply sales, panic buying and hoarding has caused some of it as well. As long as demand stays high, prices will not drop too much.
Maybe, but this still doesn't explain the inconsistency in pricing between similar sized retailers. I don't expect a near-term return to pre-COVID pricing, but there are fairly extreme differences between many sellers (I'm not even considering the differences between retailers with massive buying power versus small Mom & Pop brick and mortar stores). Rural King, for instance, was often selling equivalent ammo at retail for quite a bit less than J&G Sales was marketing at wholesale. I'll admit, that isn't a good analog for the two smaller local retailers with the same 1000 primers, one for $50 and one for $70, but it's an example for one company artificially driving up prices and raising the barrier to entry into the hobby. I think we're all well aware of Cheaper than Dirt and their history of market manipulation. It happens and it's bad for the industry and the shooting community.

·
Premium Member
6,850 Posts
Maybe, but this still doesn't explain the inconsistency in pricing between similar sized retailers. I don't expect a near-term return to pre-COVID pricing, but there are fairly extreme differences between many sellers (I'm not even considering the differences between retailers with massive buying power versus small Mom & Pop brick and mortar stores). Rural King, for instance, was often selling equivalent ammo at retail for quite a bit less than J&G Sales was marketing at wholesale. I'll admit, that isn't a good analog for the two smaller local retailers with the same 1000 primers, one for $50 and one for $70, but it's an example for one company artificially driving up prices and raising the barrier to entry into the hobby. I think we're all well aware of Cheaper than Dirt and their history of market manipulation. It happens and it's bad for the industry and the shooting community.
Seeing the same with some ammo. Like Remington UMC 95gr fmj 380 acp. Target Sports $.55 per round vs LuckyGunner at $.86 per round. Jeesh!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,327 Posts
but this still doesn't explain the inconsistency in pricing
Of course it does. One is gouging.

But if the 2 shops are close together and both have the product in stock, shame on the purchaser.

·
Super Moderator
28,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
I wonder how much I would have to buy in bulk over the web to justify the HASMAT fees?

I also find it odd (irritating) that primers alone require HASMAT shipping but pre-primed cases do not. <grrr> :mad:

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: OldOutlaw

·
Premium Member
6,850 Posts
I wonder how much I would have to buy in bulk over the web to justify the HASMAT fees?

I also find it odd (irritating) that primers alone require HASMAT shipping but pre-primed cases do not. <grrr> :mad:

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
And a few vendors have been increasing the Hazmat Fee.

·
Premium Member
35,829 Posts
I don’t care what “the market” is right now, I’m not paying those prices. I haven’t seen primers in over 6 months anyway.

·
Registered
101 Posts
This is one of the major issues with a lot of new people entering the market.

One, you have people with more money than common sense. They will spend whatever is being asked instead of pacing the market. Many moons ago I worked in the hobby industry and there dude would openly brag about how much money they could spend on something, even when they drastically overpaid, like being ripped off was a flex. "Look how much I can spend on _!" We had a regular customer who would fork out thousands of dollars on equipment for one radio controlled airplane, then trash everything on it if it didn't perform the way he expected it to. He would tell people, who asked if they could buy these non-performers from him, that he would rather burn it and throw it away than have someone offer even $100 less than he paid for it. Fast forward to the shooting world, I know people who are exactly like that. One former coworker bought 1,000 rounds of 5.56 during the last shortage for like $1200.00 and was bragging to me that he could afford it so he didn't care how much it costs (of course he couldn't, it went on a credit card he kept hidden from his wife). That's the attitude that rewards market manipulators, consumer beware, but there's very little the average consumer can do when you have gougers and people willing to pay gouger prices.

Two, you have people who are so new to the market that they're not familiar with what the market normally looks like. They think $50/box for 9mm is the "new normal" and just accept it. COVID caused similar situations with a lot of commodities, like toilet paper, where people were in such a panic to buy up something they thought wasn't available, that they were willing to pay double digits for a single roll of toilet paper. I saw someone in Sportsman's Warehouse a couple months ago talking about how they had just bought an "AR-15" and they just bought a case at $0.80/round even though they already had plenty of ammo for it, because $0.80/round seemed like a good price to them. I asked why they would pay that much for ammo they didn't need and the answer I got reminded me of someone saying they saved money by overspending on clothes they didn't need at a clothing store. I'll admit that $0.80/round is high to me, but I get someone attending a class, or buying an initial stash might find that to be reasonable... the issue is buying it that high for no other reason than it seemed like a good price is just keeping the market high and this guy (new to the gun world) really thought that was pretty normal ammo pricing... he had a much smaller snapshot of the market than most of us do. We know the prices will come down some once demand is reduced, some of these new people only know high prices and their own ignorance of the market is contributing to keeping the market high.

121 - 139 of 139 Posts