Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I'm a new Hi-Point C9 owner. It's used, but in great shape. I could provide its S/N if anyone can estimate its date of manufacture.

I had purchased Strassel's Hydro-Dipped Wood Grips and they look quite lovely, in the wood grain clock radio sense.

Considering the torque necessary to insert and remove the grips, I can see why the original grips are made out of solid plastic. However, I suppose that there would be room in the market for laminate to provide the look of real wood, and plastic underneath to keep that spring in the grip in place.

Do you know of anyone that sells real wood or laminate grips online for the C9? I'm looking for more of a solid colored, classic look, similar to the hydro dipped ones but made out of the real thing. At least on the outside.

If anyone has real wood grips for your C9, how are they holding up to wear and tear? would you recommend them?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thingmeister. Not sure if he's still making them though. You might need to email him and find out.

https://thing-meister-fabrication.myshopify.com/
Looks like what's left are just that neat looking 1911 mag conversion kit for carbines and some triggers.

I can see why a wooden grip for a Hi-Point would be a unique challenge to tackle.

Anyways, here's mine with the Hydro "Wood" Grips.

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
Looks like what's left are just that neat looking 1911 mag conversion kit for carbines and some triggers.

I can see why a wooden grip for a Hi-Point would be a unique challenge to tackle.

Like I said. Email him and ask. He was the go to for making wood grips for the HP's and may have some left or be willing to make a run. He took over the trigger market when Joey retired and partnered with Mahan Sights for a minute making metal rear sights for the pistols.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like I said. Email him and ask. He was the go to for making wood grips for the HP's and may have some left or be willing to make a run. He took over the trigger market when Joey retired and partnered with Mahan Sights for a minute making metal rear sights for the pistols.
I checked with him and he doesn't have the tooling handy. I'm honestly OK with that. I just wanted to ask around.

·
Registered
76 Posts

I made a set of grips out of a laminate that I made myself. Challenging is an understatement! The grips are a functional part of the pistol and there is a lot going on on the back side of those grips that keeps the pistol working.
I also have a couple of sets of Thingmeisters wood grips and while they look spectacular the wood has just enough flex to it that it causes a glitch in operation now and then.
If you are hell bent on real wood you'll eventually find a set for sale however the more sturdy hydro dipped factory grips are a better call if functionality is key.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I made a set of grips out of a laminate that I made myself. Challenging is an understatement! The grips are a functional part of the pistol and there is a lot going on on the back side of those grips that keeps the pistol working.
I also have a couple of sets of Thingmeisters wood grips and while they look spectacular the wood has just enough flex to it that it causes a glitch in operation now and then.
If you are hell bent on real wood you'll eventually find a set for sale however the more sturdy hydro dipped factory grips are a better call if functionality is key.
I think I'd rather be satisfied by the Woodie plastic grips. Perhaps It would be smart to just leave the wood in the speculative sense.

·
Super Moderator
28,363 Posts
I think I'd rather be satisfied by the Woodie plastic grips. Perhaps It would be smart to just leave the wood in the speculative sense.
Wood grain hydro-dipped plastic grips are available on ebay.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
Wood grain hydro-dipped plastic grips are available on ebay.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
You should read more posts. He already bought them. Covered it in his first post...

·
Super Moderator
28,363 Posts
You should read more posts. He already bought them. Covered it in his first post...
I thought the ones on ebay were a different brand. Maybe not.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
I thought the ones on ebay were a different brand. Maybe not.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The few times I've checked them out, helping locals who are closet HP owners, they were just factory grips dipped by someone other than Joe Strassel's company.

·
Super Moderator
28,363 Posts
The few times I've checked them out, helping locals who are closet HP owners, they were just factory grips dipped by someone other than Joe Strassel's company.
I suppose that would make the most sense.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts