Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

Where can I find Real Wood Grips for my C-9?

Tags
c9 grips
9K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  backbencher 
#1 ·
Hi there! I'm a new Hi-Point C9 owner. It's used, but in great shape. I could provide its S/N if anyone can estimate its date of manufacture.

I had purchased Strassel's Hydro-Dipped Wood Grips and they look quite lovely, in the wood grain clock radio sense.

Considering the torque necessary to insert and remove the grips, I can see why the original grips are made out of solid plastic. However, I suppose that there would be room in the market for laminate to provide the look of real wood, and plastic underneath to keep that spring in the grip in place.

Do you know of anyone that sells real wood or laminate grips online for the C9? I'm looking for more of a solid colored, classic look, similar to the hydro dipped ones but made out of the real thing. At least on the outside.

If anyone has real wood grips for your C9, how are they holding up to wear and tear? would you recommend them?

#16 ·
#18 ·
It's a comedy show.................... the "trigger spring" will be next.

Reactions: moona11
#20 · (Edited)
Well, I was chuffed:

Then I discovered the safety is not as positive as it was, b/c there isn't a tab at the top of the wood left grip pressing on the safety like the original plastic ones do. Well, worst case scenario, I'll OC it right grip out to show off Thingmeister's handywork.

Well, let's dry fire it a bit. WTH, trigger's dead. Re rack. Ok, worked that time. Re rack. Dead. Re rack. Dead. Re rack - ok, that time it worked. Dead, dead, click, dead, dead, dead, click, click, WTF is going on? Pull the right grip off. Trigger bow is slipping off the sear. Ok, let's carefully tighten down the wood right grip. Dead, dead, click. Ok, put the right grip back on, rack click, rack click, rack click, problem is solved. 🥴

I'm gonna write him, see if he has any solutions, but for the moment I can't CAN recommend these in the JCP or JHP frames.

ETA: Update, he sanded some under the grip and the trigger works perfectly now. I'll post pics on the next page later.

#22 ·
Had not yet sent them back, Thingmeister called me this evening. He had me lightly sand the top pad on the right grip w/ 320 grit sandpaper, and that appears to allow the trigger to slide smoothly into the sear & trip it reliably. Lots of dry firing over the next few days. I also filed a very small semi-circle out of the top rear of the left grip, roughly opposite the safety disc, and then applied hot glue to that area to replace the tab on the factory grips that directly bears on the safety arm. That gives me a more positive safety, albeit it's the standard HiPoint mush rather than smartly clicking detents. We'll see how long the hot glue holds up, might eventually go to sawdust & superglue or summat.

Cheers to Thingmeister for fast & excellent customer service.

#25 ·
He got it, and miracle of miracles, the problem persists for the troubleshooter. If I shoot gangsta w/ my right hand, the trigger bow is pulled down by gravity, hits the sear bar, & everything works fine.

If I shoot gangsta w/ my LEFT hand, the trigger bow drops just PAST the sear bar, & dead trigger - and sad dead sinister gangsta. He's able to reproduce the issue.

I told him I was fine if he'd just install some gangsta sights on the right of the slide.

#29 ·
Just got the JHP back today, it looks great and he installed one of his red triggers for my trouble. The difficulties w/ the trigger have gone away, so I can wholeheartedly recommend these grips. Full disclosure: I will be selling his triggers at gun shows and now have some in stock, so we do have a shared financial interest.

I'll post up pics later, and will pull the right grip off and get pics of that so we can see the modifications made to the grip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.