Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone is familiar enough with the laws here in AZ as to where I can keep my pistol in the car legally.
1. Glovebox?
2. Under my seat?
3. Console compartment?
4. Map holder?
5. In my lap?

Also, what is the penalty for carrying a concealed firearm without a CCW?
Just curious on this one, I am not actually planning on doing it.

·
U.S.S.
2,267 Posts
Here are the relevant sections of A.R.S.

13-3102. Misconduct involving weapons; defenses; classification; definitions

A. A person commits misconduct involving weapons by knowingly:

1. Carrying a deadly weapon without a permit pursuant to section 13-3112 except a pocket knife concealed on his person; or

2. Carrying a deadly weapon without a permit pursuant to section 13-3112 concealed within immediate control of any person in or on a means of transportation; or
F. Subsection A, paragraph 1 of this section shall not apply to a weapon or weapons carried in a belt holster that is wholly or partially visible, or carried in a scabbard or case designed for carrying weapons that is wholly or partially visible or carried in luggage. Subsection A, paragraph 2 of this section shall not apply to a weapon or weapons carried in a case, holster, scabbard, pack or luggage that is carried within a means of transportation or within a storage compartment, map pocket, trunk or glove compartment of a means of transportation.
http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/13/03102.htm

So basically, if it is a holster, you can put it anywhere in the vehicle, otherwise, it needs to be in a storage compartment.

·
Registered
927 Posts
ok so i carry mine in a holster i tend to not put it on my belt but in my back pocket. i know not really a smart thing but due to my size and the size of my vehicle things dont work out right. so from what i understand is if it is in a holster then i can put it under the seat . i thought it had to be in plain sight and holstered or cased and if not holstered or cased then in glove box or map compartment. someone correct me if im wrong.

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
Wow makes me feel good I'm in New Mexico for a change, here your car is an extension of your house you can have it sittin' at the ready on your dash and be fine.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
When in the car consider what that pistol may do to you in a crash, its a serious hunk of metal. I place mine in a cheap holster I keep in the truck for that purpose. Besides it is a lot easier to get to when seated behind the wheel. USCCA just sent out information on Road Rage and tactics to avoid/deal with some of these issues. Any way good info and good site.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone is familiar enough with the laws here in AZ as to where I can keep my pistol in the car legally.
1. Glovebox?
2. Under my seat?
3. Console compartment?
4. Map holder?
5. In my lap?

Also, what is the penalty for carrying a concealed firearm without a CCW?
Just curious on this one, I am not actually planning on doing it.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=arizona+gun+laws

·
Registered
34 Posts
In AZ, if it is 'readily accessible' and concealed and you don't have a CCW you could be in trouble. just open carry on the seat if that is the case.

The book "Arizona Gun Owners Guide" is a must have.

·
U.S.S.
2,267 Posts
In AZ, if it is 'readily accessible' and concealed and you don't have a CCW you could be in trouble. just open carry on the seat if that is the case.

The book "Arizona Gun Owners Guide" is a must have.
If the gun is on your person, then yes. If it is in your car and it is in a holster, then no.

Subsection A, paragraph 2 of this section shall not apply to a weapon or weapons carried in a case, holster, scabbard, pack or luggage that is carried within a means of transportation or within a storage compartment, map pocket, trunk or glove compartment of a means of transportation.

·
Registered
238 Posts
here is washington states RCW for this exact question . this is only in washington state that im showing.

here is our law as it reads in the RCW (washington state.)

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

(4) Nothing in this section permits the possession of firearms illegal to possess under state or federal law.

·
Registered
238 Posts
which means we can carry our firearm open in the car on the seat next to me with my mag in my pocket. but only way i can have a loaded pistol in my car at ANYTIME is if i have a CPL.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
When in the car consider what that pistol may do to you in a crash, its a serious hunk of metal. I place mine in a cheap holster I keep in the truck for that purpose. Besides it is a lot easier to get to when seated behind the wheel. USCCA just sent out information on Road Rage and tactics to avoid/deal with some of these issues. Any way good info and good site.
i know its old, but do you have a link for this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.