Where do they get 'em?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by histed, Oct 10, 2015.

1. histed

histed Supporting Member

The kids - yes, KIDS - who work in some of these "Sporting Goods" stores? :mad: Been other threads, I know, but I gotta rant. :ranton: I'm looking for a .22 pistol (other thread) and today I saw a 'net flyer for Dunham's for a Walther P22 w/lazer for 239.99. Great buy for my area, so my wife and I stop in. Kids behind the counter is very friendly, his buddy is a smart-a$$.

I asked about said gun and get a "That doesn't start till Sunday" Flyer clearly said 10/8 - 10/23, so no, it already on. Told him I'm looking for a Walther P22 and the kid turns to look at the rifles - I kid you not!. I said - Ah, that's a pistol - and he just stares. His buddy - S-A - bends down to look in the case, picks up a 500 S&W with a LONG barrel and ...... READS THE TAG!!. :bang: Meanwhile, Sonny-boy is back lookin' at semi-auto rifles again. Finally S-A starts a long-winded speech about how not all stores have all items listed and I SHOULD check the store and the date Blah, blah, blah so I show him the flyer with HIS store name highlighted AND the dates. Suggested to the manager that this might be a good location for a sporting goods store - IF he could find some one who know where the bullet exits the weapon. DAYUM, I was jacked. Top it all off, they really didn't have the gun. Already wrote corporate, for what good it'll do. Made me feel better.

Thank's for letting me rant. :rantoff:

2. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

That sucks! That's a good price on that too. There isn't a Dunham's here. I never see the P22 for less than $300 new.

3. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Sounds like the time I went to a local WalMart.. "I need some 22lr, do you have any" kid grabs a box of .223 "this is the same size as 22lr and will work in your gun"

:eek:

4. Dragonbreath

Dragonbreath Member

Alabama
    You are not missing anything. Dunham's is known for never having the stuff that is on sale in stock. And the regular prices at Dunham's are stupid high.

5. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I no longer shop @ Dunhams!
    I used to be a regular Tuesday 9:00 am customer, every week. They received their weekly 22LR supply the night before. So after about 3 months of every week stopping in, the asst. mgr. came out and told about 6 of us standing out side they did not receive any 22lr that day, maybe next week. So we all left. I came back about 3 hours later to try and pick up a few other calibers. And right there kneeling on the floor was the same guy filling the shelf behind the counter loading 22lr. He came up with some story about the store mgr. & corporate told him to come out and tell us THE lie.
    I walk in another day a few months later, walk by about 5 clerks @ the front of the store. I said hello to all of them, they were all standing around telling jokes. They smiled & said hello back. I walked all the way to the back of the store & stood there for 20 minutes & nobody came back to help me. I pulled out my cell phone & called up to the front desk to tell them I was waiting @ the gun counter, they laughed & said they would be right back. I stood another 15 minutes & then I left. I told them as I walked out, THANKS for NOTHING, and have NEVER been back.

6. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I bet they interview the people and put them where they do not want to be
    and in departments they know NOTHING About! Seems About Right... :mad:

7. Kiln

Kiln Member

Age is irrelevant. I'm 26 and know more about firearms both from experience and research than the vast majority of people outside of gun forums, including lots of small gun store owners.

They simply put inexperienced people behind gun counters and it is annoying.

8. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

And the fact they're told to push the hi end models.

9. histed

histed Supporting Member

Totally agree. I'm far side of 60 and been taught plenty by younger guys. Not the age so much as the attitude and inexperience (OOPS, SWAGA beat me to it). Never meant to imply that you guys is stoopid :D

10. Kiln

Kiln Member

To clarify, I'm not saying I know everything there is to know and there's nothing left to learn. Only the most arrogant or ignorant person would believe that. I have been schooled a couple of times by guys here (mechanical fire rate discussion anyone?) that have a couple of decades on me and know their stuff.

11. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Might explain the numbnuts I dealt with at Rural king awhile back when I went to buy a *21. He told me I didn't want that, and went on about how he carried a Sig when he was a cop, blah blah blah. He was going on and on about how good Sigs are, and how I could order a different barrel if I wanted to convert the Sig I bought to another caliber. If they would have had the E2022 in 9mm that night(only had it in .40), I would have bought one, but I bought the *21 instead, after "considering" the guy's "advice". Seriously, the Sig he recommended was twice the price of the *21, fu*K that.
    I almost asked to see the JHP they had in the display case to see how well it worked at a bludgeon, but i kept my mouth shut.

12. undeRGRound

INDY
    I like a Sig over the G series too, but like you said, price does come into play, BSCar!

13. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Not to mention magazine pricing and availability. For overall cost of ownership after purchase, the Glock is certainly a better value than the Sig, and it holds more rounds in the magazine. That, of course, doesn't mean that I won't go get a Sig P220 someday, though--or I might go for one of their feaux 1911s.

14. undeRGRound

INDY
    Hey THINK!

If I wanted to do a caliber change on my G20, (to 45 ACP)
    What all do I need? I'm thinking more LWD equipment...
    It is very excellent stuff! Fill me in, please! :)

15. undeRGRound

INDY
    I want some of those Big Gl*ck Stick 26 rounders :D
    My large frame, non-SF grip G20 with Ballast in the grip void
    will be a double-throw-down,
    "Plastic Fantastic 10mm/45ACP Double-Threat"

16. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    From what I understand, it's just a matter of changing the barrel, recoil spring and magazine to go from .45 to 10mm, so it should be the same going the other way, too. Then again, because the .45 isn't generating as much energy, and the G21 slide is lighter, a lighter recoil spring might be a good idea. I'd start with just the barrel and magazine, first.

I ordered a couple of those 26-rounders, and they are waiting at home. I can't wait to try them out. I also got a couple of the 33-round 9mm mags for the wife. Those should be the most enjoyable magazine tests, ever, if things work out the right way.