Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CF380 for carry, and I also have a JCP 40 for the nightstand. My favorite gun shop has a NIB 45 ACP for $169 which comes to $185 with tax and call-in. I have the money but was wondering if I am just buying to be buying or at this point in time, would I be wise to "stock up" so to speak? I know this means buying 45 ACP ammo for the first time, so add another 20 bucks to the deal and now the total is over $200. Yes, money is an object but what, if any, are the advantages of a 45 over a 40? Both are way too heavy and bulky for CC (my 40 is 3.2 lbs loaded); so anyone out there who has both guns, please comment. I shoot a lot of SASS matches, but there I am loading for 45 Long Colt for my Gaucho's and 1873 Carbine, so I would have to buy additional dies, indexing plate, powder drop, etc., and brass for a JHP 45. Since I do not do much shooting of semi-autos, even on my own range, does this sound silly? Well, sillier that owning so many guns in the first place. Oh well, let's hear some comments from 40/45 owners.

Thanks,
BC :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
The .40sw is likely to be easier to get than .45 ACP now and the short term future with 9mm being easier still, relatively of course not to mention cheaper. Dont feel bad about owning a lot of guns they are tools and no good mechanic has only one tool. Right now Ive limited myself to only .45 , 9mm, and .22LR in pistols strictly due to cost of ammo and availability. Consider also if some really bad law is passed you may want something to shoot anything you can get your hands on. Heh guess I need a .40 soon also...damn now see what you did :-[

BTW when it comes to guarding life and limb there is no pistol round better than a .45, just my opinion I know but its a strong one. I carry a Springfield XD45 Tactical so with the right holster it can be done. I just feel better with that pistol for some reason as silly as it may seem but if I ever have to draw I damn sure want the perp to have that moment of doubt pass though his mind looking down that barrel. Try http://www.smartcarry.com/ the same holster will take either of the pistols you mention and its very comfortable even with a XD.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
To the OP:

To the OP, you already have the rig. Just get a set of dies ($35) and a turret die holder ($10) and go at it. I don't know how you are dropping powder now. Seems like you could start reloading for less than the cost of two boxes of .45ACP. Start collecting your brass now. For reloading, the .40 and .45acp take about the same amount of powder. If you shoot lead, .45 has lower velocities and lower pressures, and is likely to cause less leading than the higher velocity/higher pressure .40S&W.

I think, of the three calibers (9mm, .40s&w, .45 acp), the .45 is ideal for cast bullets, and lead bullets are cheaper (too).

To the previous poster:

Right now Ive limited myself to only .45 , 9mm, and .22LR in pistols strictly due to cost of ammo and availability.
Start reloading! Shooting 9mm, .40s&w, .45acp require about the same amount of powder per load. primers cost the same. Brass is free if you collect everything you shoot and a lot of stuff that others shoot. If you stock up on primers and carry a couple extra pounds of powder, and keep a thousand bullets of each size around, then you will be shooting at half price and will not be limited by availability.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
To the OP:

To the OP, you already have the rig. Just get a set of dies ($35) and a turret die holder ($10) and go at it. I don't know how you are dropping powder now. Seems like you could start reloading for less than the cost of two boxes of .45ACP. Start collecting your brass now. For reloading, the .40 and .45acp take about the same amount of powder. If you shoot lead, .45 has lower velocities and lower pressures, and is likely to cause less leading than the higher velocity/higher pressure .40S&W.

I think, of the three calibers (9mm, .40s&w, .45 acp), the .45 is ideal for cast bullets, and lead bullets are cheaper (too).

To the previous poster:

Right now Ive limited myself to only .45 , 9mm, and .22LR in pistols strictly due to cost of ammo and availability.
Start reloading! Shooting 9mm, .40s&w, .45acp require about the same amount of powder per load. primers cost the same. Brass is free if you collect everything you shoot and a lot of stuff that others shoot. If you stock up on primers and carry a couple extra pounds of powder, and keep a thousand bullets of each size around, then you will be shooting at half price and will not be limited by availability.
The problem is getting reloading equipment is difficult to the extreme right now and primers are just invisible last time I checked. Yes I recover all my brass so when I can get setup I will at least have the brass. Money has become an issue though so I was looking at LEE since every round I use even the rifles can be done on their turret press, 7.62x39 AK and 9mm carbine possibly adding a .45 carbine later. Just love carbines for some reason fun factor and utility most likely.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My wife and I both shoot two CAS matches a month, so I reload 32's, 38's, 45 LC and 12 GA. I cast all the bullets as well for these calibers. I have no access to brass for 40's and 45 ACP, so that would be a new venture plus dies, die plates, powder drops, etc., ... I am not sure this would be economical as the SA are only for self-defense, (380,40, 45) not for any competition. I rarely shoot more than 100 rounds of SD ammo a year, so buying factory is not a problem. I plan to buy 500 rounds of 9mm tomorrow at ChinaMart if it comes in at 10 bucks for 50 rounds....just to feed my old/new 995 I am building up with an ATI stock.

Just wanted to know if the 45 added any real advantage over the 40. Guess it doesn't....Thanks guys.

BC

·
Registered
452 Posts
Im having this same problem right now. Only thing is Hi-point has that .45 carbine coming out that will use the the same mag, so Im pushing that way. However everytime I go buy ammo .40 is never sold out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.