Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the gun panic is over, I've noticed prices have dropped on already made AR's. Some are now $450.oo

I know the REAL MEN build their own AR's but I'm willing to simply buy one already made. I already have a gun that is not working too well :eek:

So what make of AR do you recommend, the caliber and what is the most important feature you would want. ?

Types I see are:

1. Anderson
  2. Bear Creek
  3. Radical Firearms
  4. DPMS
  5. S&W
  6. ATI Tatical
  7. Del-Ton
  8. I.O.
  9. Eagle Arms
  10. Armalite
  11. Savage Arms
  12. Ruger
  13. Adams Arms

·
Premium Member
10,285 Posts
Now that the gun panic is over, I've noticed prices have dropped on already made AR's. Some are now $450.oo

I know the REAL MEN build their own AR's but I'm willing to simply buy one already made. I already have a gun that is not working too well :eek:

So what make of AR do you recommend, the caliber and what is the most important feature you would want. ?

Types I see are:

1. Anderson
  2. Bear Creek
  3. Radical Firearms
  4. DPMS
  5. S&W
  6. ATI Tatical
  7. Del-Ton
  8. I.O.
  9. Eagle Arms
  10. Armalite
  11. Savage Arms
  12. Ruger
  13. Adams Arms
I have seen the Del- tons as low as $399 this week. And don't forget PSA!

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
Make is not particularly important. Caliber is your choice from.17" HMR to .50" BMG, including .410" shotgun. Money is made in ARs on the bbl & the trigger. Buy a cheap AR, save up for a decent trigger - $70 or so & up - and you'll be surprised @ how accurate it is w/ decent ammo. When you shoot out the factory bbl, drop in a White Oak, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
Make is not particularly important. Caliber is your choice from.17" HMR to .50" BMG, including .410" shotgun. Money is made in ARs on the bbl & the trigger. Buy a cheap AR, save up for a decent trigger - $70 or so & up - and you'll be surprised @ how accurate it is w/ decent ammo. When you shoot out the factory bbl, drop in a White Oak, etc.
Just how many rounds does it take to "shoot out" a typical AR barrel??

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
This thread poses a very good question. I am still wondering the same. At these prices and my age I simply am not going to screw around with building one. Not worth it to me.
I just want a good one with metal receiver and a hand guard. I am leaning Ruger at the moment because of their warranties. Am I wrong? Which is an all around better one?

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,957 Posts

Types I see are:

1. Anderson
  2. Bear Creek
  3. Radical Firearms
  4. DPMS
  5. S&W
  6. ATI Tatical
  7. Del-Ton
  8. I.O.
  9. Eagle Arms
  10. Armalite
  11. Savage Arms
  12. Ruger
  13. Adams Arms
Any of those are good with the exception of IO... If they are anything like their AKs stay far away!!

With the prices the way they are now a days, steer clear of the polymers ones, you can get aluminum just as cheap.

Like Ajole said, don't forget PSA. Anderson are decent too.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
And depending on where you are... stripped lowers can be as low as $50 OTD.
Granted... you might be better off getting complete assembled upper and just add a complete lower locally which may run from $125 to 350ish depending on the rollmarks and style and furniture...

There are indeed some good basic complete ARs for under 500 nowadays; so thats the threshold... however you might be able to save some coin and pick and choose components of complete lowers and uppers to make yourself an AR just for you.

·
Premium Member
35,819 Posts
Like Ajole said, don't forget PSA. Anderson are decent too.
That was Dane.;) I have an Anderson lower, Daytona Tactical upper, a pre-Remington Bushmaster, and a DPMS .308. I've also had a DelTon, it was a solid gun, better trigger than the Bushmaster, I just didn't like the 16" barrel and basic 6 position buttstock, and before I could get around to upgrading, I made a deal for a trade with it.

Personally, I'd buy whatever was on sale cheapest, with the best bits. I totally agree with back_bencher, regarding the add-on trigger when you feel the need, and a barrel if/when you get to that point.

Most people will never get to that point.;)

When you read reviews, ignore the "you get what you pay for" idiots, and ignore the "it's better than my buddies xyz that cost xxxx bucks" guys and read between the lines. With the Internet, there simply aren't any names left to stay away from, as long as you stay with known names, and not some brand new thing.

Also...having built a lower with various name brand parts, I'm going to say that, if you aren't doing any upgraded parts, you would be better off buying a complete gun. Everything will match, you'll have a warranty, and you won't have to stress over every little thing.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Psa has some kits right now that just need a stripped lower for $350 shipped
You can also buy the upper with the barrel and handguards you want, and an assembled lower with the buttstock and stuff you want, and then just pin them together.

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,957 Posts
That was Dane.;)
How the hell did I screw that one up... its not even close to looking the same... sorry Dane!!

I bought some parts from Daytona tactical for the 300 upper build that landed me that Marlin 336, very quick shipping and the quality looked decent, finish was "OK" but not horrible by any means.

FYI, if it wasn't for the guy making me use a Wilson Combat match barrel, I would have just bought a complete upper from Daytona Tactical, they're prices are hard to beat at the moment.

·
Premium Member
9,318 Posts
Just how many rounds does it take to "shoot out" a typical AR barrel??
Depends on how you shoot it and take care of it. Plus the material its made of. Chrome lined?Mag dumps, your barrels life will be considerably shorter.

A typical barrel firing a bullet at 3000 fps can start losing target accuracy at about 3 seconds. It's typically gone by 6 seconds. For sporting purposes, they can last uo to 10 seconds, maybe 15. Like I noted above, there are a lot of variables in play. Just to make life easier (and math too!) The bullet mentioned above at 3000 fps, assuming a 24 inch barrel, takes approximately .002 of a second to exit the barrel.

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,957 Posts
A typical barrel firing a bullet at 3000 fps can start losing target accuracy at about 3 seconds. It's typically gone by 6 seconds.
That's only 3k rounds... I can't see it totally being gone by then, but yes accuracy will start to change.

For sporting purposes, they can last up to 10 seconds, maybe 15. Like I noted above, there are a lot of variables in play. Just to make life easier (and math too!) The bullet mentioned above at 3000 fps, assuming a 24 inch barrel, takes approximately .002 of a second to exit the barrel.
I agree with the 10 seconds, typical "commercial" barrel is about 5k rounds, YMMV.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
Depends on how you shoot it and take care of it. Plus the material its made of. Chrome lined?Mag dumps, your barrels life will be considerably shorter.

A typical barrel firing a bullet at 3000 fps can start losing target accuracy at about 3 seconds. It's typically gone by 6 seconds. For sporting purposes, they can last uo to 10 seconds, maybe 15. Like I noted above, there are a lot of variables in play. Just to make life easier (and math too!) The bullet mentioned above at 3000 fps, assuming a 24 inch barrel, takes approximately .002 of a second to exit the barrel.
So.... best to buy new instead of used for ARs unless parts?
Edit; by that I mean there are some used ARs on the market for less than current retail; but at the current prices its best to get brand new ARs unless theres a parts group or specific parts one wants? Assume new barrels are required anyways?

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
I seem to recall the OP asked about a New Gun. And stated not building one. I posted the same question.

Why is everyone talking about building again? Need info on complete guns and calibers.

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,957 Posts
Edit; by that I mean there are some used ARs on the market for less than current retail; but at the current prices its best to get brand new ARs unless theres a parts group or specific parts one wants? Assume new barrels are required anyways?
New is always better!! :D But AR barrels are fairly inexpensive and easy to install without any major tools, unlike swapping out the barrel on an AK.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
Unless they're bragging about their bumpfire stock, if you can get a good used deal on an AR configured how you want it, take it. But the AR market has been such a roller-coaster ride, there's a lot of folks who are underwater on their ARs, and don't want to take what they're worth.

Most folks won't spend enough to burn out a bbl on an AR. Buy used w/ confidence. ARs are pretty easy to sort out, even if they've been ridden hard & put away wet. .308" ARs on the other hand are not.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
I seem to recall the OP asked about a New Gun. And stated not building one. I posted the same question.

Why is everyone talking about building again? Need info on complete guns and calibers.
Possibly because putting two halves together makes a fun shooter ? ;) two pins and done. Could MAYBE get better bang for buck using complete upper of whatever format one wants and a complete lower, again of whatever format one wants compared to the exact same format in a gun shop.. say 18" 5.56 stainless steel mid length with keymod handguard on magpul moe furnished lower.... that right there would run 750-850 locally but could be put together for about 650-700 depending on sales and shipping...
For basic 16" carbine with m4 6 position stock... theres plenty of competition in the low-dollar world that its practically a wash between build or buy nowadays. But for mid lengths and shorter barrels or longer barrels and differing calibers.. thats where build/assemble gets better sometimes.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts