Which barrel shroud?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Mordecai, Dec 11, 2007.

Which barrel shroud should I get?

This poll will close on Feb 7, 2106 at 1:28 AM.
  1. MOERSE LEKKER

100.0%
  2. thekrnel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mordecai

Mordecai Member

hello you all. I recently got a 995 carbine for $16 with the ATI stock, and I have to say its a great weapon. Now, I was wanting to mod it, and the first thought that came to mind was a barrel shround, but only question is, which one?

So, which one do you recommend?

The Moerse Lekker
    [​IMG]

Or

thekrnel
    [​IMG]

I like the krnels because of the fact that I can keep the iron sights on it, and thats always a plus, but I'm worried about the heat not escaping due to it not being drilled.

2. Huggy

Huggy Member

SEPA
    I have a Hartman, so I can't tell which I would recommend from those 2, but it really depends on which you like the look of better. I thought the Lekker shroud could be found in a shorter version for the front sight, but maybe not. I've been looking over my ATI, and I've come up with an idea for a mod that will solve the long shroud/OEM sight combo problem. I'll post pictures after I get it done.

Edited to show mod, and the dog that needed to be on my lap while I took pics. Phantom brake knock off mocked up to show how sweet it would look as a SBR.
    No 995 installed. The brake is mounted to a piece of pipe.
    [​IMG]

3. I put the Lekker on mine........ i like it a bunch

4. I bought the MOERSE LEKKER one a couple weeks ago...too cool.

5. I like thekrnel for looks the best i like the simplicity of it however i havent bought my 995 yet......................sad................

6. Loooove my lekker, but this new one is pretty cool too, has a suppressor look to it. Would be cool if you could get it with some suppressor writing on it to make it look more realistic.

7. I'm old fashoned, I voted for the shroud with the holes. Just more traditional looking to me. If I was going for a supressor look I would go with the other one.

8. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Member

I would hypothesize that the solid shroud (as long as its Alum) would actually cool way better. If the shroud is a snug fit on the barrel, the aluminum would pull the heat away from the barrel far quicker than the overbored shroud that only contacts at 2 points.

I would guess the alum slug would act as a better radiator contacting a larger surface area of the barrel and cooling more evenly than a Moerse which would only have 2 relatively small cooling spots.

9. But the purpose as a shroud, as I've always understood and used as such, is to protect the hand from burning on the hot barrel, hence the purpose of the end staying as cool as possible.

10. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Member

im guessing that the aluminum stock would transfer heat faster but also cool down faster than the drilled shroud which i assume is steel.

from what ive read, the solid alum shroud never gets painful to the touch.

If anyone wants to send me both shrouds an ATI stock and a laser thermometer id be happy to test my hypotheisis. ;)

11. nice..........You gotta ask for a new 995 also cause you need to keep evrthing controlled :wink:

12. Mordecai

Mordecai Member

Talked to my brother in law, he owns a small gun smithing shop, he agreed with you silverado, the solid one actually radiates heat better, so I'm picking it up.

13. Huggy

Huggy Member

SEPA
    Guess you could get some tiny stencils, and put a little something on it.
    "THIS IS JUST A SHROUD
    NO SUPRESSOR HERE
    LOOKS SWEET THOUGH HUH?
    SILLY ATF AGENT
    "

14. Mordecai

Mordecai Member

I like the mod you did, but how functional is it? Your sight is sitting much higher than it was meant to be.

15. Huggy

Huggy Member

SEPA
    I imagine it would be as functional as mounted anywhere else on the barrel, aside from being slightly closer to the rear sight.
    The sight is actually at it's lowest setting. I used a piece of pipe in place of the barrel to mount both the brake and the sight to line everything up nice for the picture. If it looks too high it may be due to the diameter of the brake. Maybe these will show a little better.
    [​IMG]
    I guess I should just put the 995 in it.

16. Mordecai

Mordecai Member

You have it sitting on there differently than before, before it looked like it was mounted on the actual stock.

How much work did it take for the modification? Have you fired it with this mod to see if it has any adverse effects on your accuracy.

17. Huggy

Huggy Member

SEPA
    Only change is I removed the top cover, and slid it back to show the setup (I know it's not as good as toes, but my hand is there to hold the top cover). Not mounted on the stock, but coming up through the top cover.
    Total work, maybe 1/2 hour with a drill, utility knife, and a few files.
    Have not given it the range test yet.

18. Mordecai

Mordecai Member

Tell me how the range test goes, and I might go with the other shroud then, lol.