Which Carbine and Why?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by TNTRAILERTRASH, Jul 23, 2014.

1. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I am considering the HP carbines. Which would you buy, and why? The calibers don't matter to me as I own something in all three.

I am talking SHTF.

What's the differences in the range between the calibers.

How do the Promags do? I have some in 9mm for my Glock. They work great since I replaced the wimpy Promag Spring with some 5%+ Wolff brand springs.
    BTW will the 15rd Promag fit my JHP45? :p

LET THE FRAY BEGIN! :eek:

2. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

A dream would be a HP in 5.56 that took AR15 mags!

3. geekandwife

geekandwife Good ole Boy Member

If SHTF I would want 9mm as my round of choice. More rounds for the weight.

4. cktvt

cktvt Member

As we all know, one of the major advantages of a carbine is being able to have it chambered in a pistol caliber, permitting you to operate a long gun and a sidearm on one type of ammo. For most people, I'd say 9mm or 45 acp would make sense for SHTF. In rifle-caliber carbines the spread gets bigger but I'd opine that 556, 762x39, and 308 would be the best choices, based on both capability and likely availability.

5. slade601

slade601 Member

Last 3 aren't given choices..
    9mm has the promags IF you can get them to work properly. Lighter weight and bit more distance than a 45. Or whichever one you can go down to wal Mart or the lgs and buy the most ammo for given price and availability.

6. Geezer

Geezer Junior Member Member

I have the 9mm and the .45. I'd have a hard time deciding between the two.

7. Back2School

Back2School Member

I have the 45. I think I would prefer the 9. $11 per 50 vs $18 per 50 rounds.

8. cktvt

cktvt Member

Sorry for coloring outside the lines. :rolleyes:

9. colthrash

colthrash Member

45 has interchangeable magazines, not sure if the 9mm will

10. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I'm going to vote for the 40. Around here 40 s&w could be had when nothing else was available.

11. RobbK

RobbK Member

I prefer the 4095TS

12. If I was building a SHTF carbine it would be the 45 acp. I like 9mm better but with the 45 you can use 1911 drum mags. Also this is a personal thing but I would either reamer the chamber for 460 or just load 45 super brass to 460 specs. The upside to reaming would be if you find some but vary unlikely. 460 Rowland ammo also has the most power in case u need to kill a beer or whatever

13. geekandwife

geekandwife Good ole Boy Member

But with it being a SHTF gun, it doesn't matter what stores had in stock, it will matter what you can scavenge or trade for...

14. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I will stick with the 45 for several reasons. One, with ball ammo it is a bit more effective than 9 mm or 40 short and wimpy. Two, I already own the 4595 and a 45 pistol so I have ammo. Three, it's a 45 nuff said.

15. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I guess since I have more 9mm HP Carbines than the others, I vote 9mm.
    If I would need more power than that, I''ll have to step up to a rifle!

16. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Lucky for us though, the gubment letter agencies loaded up on .40........... Should be lots of it around in a true shtf.

17. I say go with the 9mm if that is what your pistols are in. If you have .40 pistols, get a .40. The .40 would be the better round.

Either way, get the simplest reloading kit you can for it & 8# of powder.

18. cktvt

cktvt Member

The "S&W" in the tem 40 S&W, as everyone knows planosteve, stands for strong & wicked. :cool:

19. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

TNTRAILERTRASH,

Everyone recommends a different model.

Are you confused yet?:D

20. TeaSipper

TeaSipper Member

Yep. :p

40sw out of a carbine spells serious trouble for baddies.