Which one? C9 or JHP45?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by GKC, Aug 19, 2014.

1. GKC

GKC Lifetime Supporter

Is there any difference in general reliability between the C9 and the JHP45 pistols? I am considering buying a Hi-Point (range use, home defense, carry in car, etc, but not concealed carry on body) so size isn't a real issue. Is there any other practical difference (other than the obvious: caliber) such as, does one have a better trigger pull than the other?

I'm not hung up on caliber...I'd also consider a .40, and ammo for the .40 is readily available and cheaper than 9mm and .45ACP in the shops I frequent. I don't own a .40 at the moment, so I'd rather stay with the two calibers I currently have, unless there is a real advantage to buying a Hi-Point chambered in .40 S&W.

I appreciate your input and advice. I'm not new to handguns, but I've never owned a Hi-Point.

2. In my own personal opinion, there isn't much difference between the bunch.

But if you're going for car carry / home defense, the .45 is always a great option, and the weight behind it makes recoil very manageable

3. bluharley

bluharley Member

I like the .40 for the ammo availability, and it's got a big bang!

4. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Night stand / Car glove box, I would go with the 45. As far as cost of practice / plinking the 9mm is less expensive.

5. Back2School

Back2School Member

I prefer my C9 over my JHP. My JHP just feels "funky" when I shoot it. not bad, just weird in a way I cant say.

Due to the cost of ammo, I would go 9mm as well.

I added a S&W in .40 and like it. I also found reloads for the same price as 9mm so if that continues, I think I will stick with the .40.

The .45 is a nice round (I have a 4595 too), but I cant get over the costs to shoot it vs the other 2...

6. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

If size does not matter to you, I would go with the 45. I have only been a Hi Point owner for a short while and have the 380, so I can not really give you first hand experience, but I know of 2 that own the JHP, and they are very happy with them. I do own a 40, not a Hi Point, and I do like The handgun, but not so much the caliber. I bought it because like you said the 40 S&W was available when nothing else was.

7. GKC

GKC Lifetime Supporter

I've owned three handguns chambered in .40 S&W: a SD40VE, a M&P 40, and a Glock 23. I liked the guns but not the caliber, so I don't own them anymore. I got rid of them several years ago, before the 9mm madness began, and I've often thought about getting another handgun chambered in .40 because ammo was so much more available...but I'd rather stay with .45ACP or 9mm.

8. bluharley

bluharley Member

I'm thinking about buying a 9mm. Yesterday I stopped by the LGS and they had 9mm and .40 on the shelf. The difference was less than $4. Wally World always has .40, more .45 than 9mm, and I haven't seen 9mm on the shelf in ages. I'm going to be combing the pawn shops looking for budget pistols. I'd rather get another .40, but a 9mm will work if I find a great deal.

9. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

I have the C9 and have had it for 2 plus years. Bought the .40 a few months ago.

All things considered, personally, I like the .40 more. I like the way it fits my hand better. I like the extra weight.

Like it has been said, ammo is easier to find (although it isn't usually too hard to find 9 now).

10. GKC

GKC Lifetime Supporter

We live in a rural area, and there aren't too many gun shops close by. The nearest one (and the one I go to most often) is about 20 miles away. They usually have a fair supply of 9mm ammo, but mostly it's JHP like Hornady CD, at about $22 for a box of 25. They rarely seem to have any FMJ or the cheaper ammo.

We finally got a Wal-Mart in our small town, and on occasion it has some Tula in 9mm, but even that sells very fast. I saw some WWB in 9mm on the shelf the other day, and while I was trying to find someone who worked the gun counter, another person found them first and bought the ammo. (I think they should have one of those red lights you can turn on when you need someone to come to the gun counter.) The only thing left in the counter was one 250 round box of .40 and a fairly good selection of various loads of .45ACP. (In handgun calibers...they had lots of shotgun and rifle ammo.)

I like the size of the C9, but I like the .45ACP for the caliber and for ammo availability, even though it's more expensive. I won't be (since I can't afford to) shooting at the range a lot, even if I buy a 9mm. Too bad Hi-Point doesn't make a "compact" .45!

11. bluharley

bluharley Member

A compact anything would be nice.

12. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Without even reading your whole post , get the .45
    It's bigger, better and badder in all aspects.

13. MachoMelvin

I started with the C9, and then moved on to the JS-45, and then to a JC-40, and then onto a ????

Attached Files:

14. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

The great thing about Hi-Point is that you can buy one caliber first and get the other later without financial hardship. I really like the .45 ACP pistol.

15. GKC

GKC Lifetime Supporter

OK, I am convinced. I'm going to get the 45. The shop here locally that carries them sells the standard model for $135 (plus tax) and the green model for $199 (plus tax) so I'm just going to get the standard black model. They also carry the 10-round magazines for $18, so I'll get a couple of those (I like to have 3 mags at a minimum.)

My next question is: ammo. I've always used Remington, Winchester, Federal, PMC, and Hornady. I'm just planning on using 230 gr FMJ in this gun. Any other recommendations?

16. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

A lot of the Federal stuff has small primers. A consideration if you do or plan to reload. Other than that any of those should do fine.

17. MachoMelvin

OK, remember I told you so!
    MoM only made a small number (maybe a 1000 each) of the OD Camo colored 40's & 45's in May. Before that it was several years since they last mfg'd the Camo models. I know it's $60 difference between the black & camo models. But if your anything like me, you'll be kicking yourself for not buying the Camo 45JCP? IMHO

18. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I shoot the cheapest ammo but just avoid the Winchester white box stuff.
    It's bottom of the barrel ammo.
    I shoot Tula anytime I can find it.

19. Back2School

Back2School Member

My C9 loves the Tula as well and until recently has been all I purchased (I seem to be able to find it easily).

My .45 loves my reloads :)

20. colthrash

colthrash Member

Load your magazines a week before you go shooting, and leave them loaded. a couple of drops of oil is not a bad thing on the slide either. stick with full metal jackets the first couple of hundred rounds until all the parts get to know each other. I have the JHP and the 45ts carbine. in 1500 rounds I have had one fail to fire. the primer fell out. I buy factory reloads at a local source. you will enjoy the JHP, shoot it at dusk once if you can, the most amazing fireball...