Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got one, nothing down range yet, maybe tomorrow. Who has an experienced based opinion?

·
Banned
6,069 Posts
That is going to be on my short list! I have been checking them out for a month. Found one 100 miles away for $249 nib, OD green. I just keep running into some good deals, and stray away?

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a good price on GunBroker. Sold a Glock that never did much for me, had cash leftover for the incoming baby. Carries easy enough, haven't shot it yet though. I've been eyeballin' them for a while.I honestly wanted the tan version, no real reason, got the black one. I put the Hogue HandAll Jr on it, many of my guns have their grips, and it's worth $7.00. Now I need another holster. Blarg!

·
Good ole Boy
1,482 Posts
I use one as my EDC. Grey grip with Hard chrome finish. I carry with a MIC style trigger guard and the clip on the side of the gun. Its not a gun I will take out and shoot 100 rounds though at a time, but for a EDC its a nice gun. I will second the Handall Jr on it. Makes it a lot better to shoot, but I will once again stress, don't expect to take it to the range and put 100's of rounds through it. 45-50 is where mine maxes out before it wants to be broken down and cleaned. Also do not dry fire it, Snap caps are a must with it due to the frankenbolt and the way it will be damaged from dry firing.

Also a couple of tips, Do not get the trigger shoe, it is dangerous to use as it sticks out of the trigger guard. Also will recomend getting a good grease instead of just oil. I use only Rem oil on my c9, but find my pf-9 runs a lot smoother with a decent grease.

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
Got one.. been my carry gun for the last few months... about 70 rounds down range...
#1. 3 dot sights work well for me... in good light.. low light situation not so good,, Not the guns fault, its my tired old eyes.
#2. You will HATE the trigger pull.. Hitting anything smaller than a barn door will be impossible until you get used to it
#3. Mine.. like most I have read about.. shoots low..
#4. Dont know the size of your hands.. But picking up a LONG aftermarket grip extension will help significantly with accuracy.. see the pic below
#5 Recoil is SNAPPY... even with the little 9mm...
#6 The grip sleeve is a great purchase..
#7 If you can find one.. Replace the recoil guide rod with a steel one.. The plastic one is fine.. But Steel is better.
#8 I stripped and cleaned mine prior to the first range trip... Its a good idea...
#9 Though I like the 3 dot sights I will be adding a Laser... I like Laser Lytes side mount system.. Saw some on E-Bay for about $80... about 1/2 the cost of Crimson Trace..
#10 Finish on the slide is not the best.. Keep an oiled rag to wipe it down in the evening after carrying it all day.. surface rust develops rather quickly.
#11 DO NOT DRY FIRE THE GUN WITHOUT A SNAP CAP... You can damage the screw holding the extractor to the point that it will break then it has to go back to KT to get fixed.

It took a while, but I can hit a 6x6 piece of steel 5 times out of a full mag of 7 rounds all the way out to 25 yards... 7 to 10 yards I go 7 for 7 most of the time. KelTec says limited use of +P ammo is fine.. I dont see the point.. With such a short barrel you really are not gaining anything. It's just added wear and tear for no real pay off. I also keep mine loaded with FMJ ammo. I see not point in buying much more expensive HP ammo because at the velocities the PF9's barrel is capable of its doubtful you will get any significant bullet expansion. So far I have not had a failure of any kind that can be traced to the gun's operation... the 3 that I have had where shooter error.. After my 1st range trip I came home fully intending on getting rid of mine.. I then decided that was not a fair test of the gun.. Each range trip I have gotten better.. The PF9 is a great little gun... I think it says alot when a long established gun company..(Ruger)... copies your design.. (LCP is Rugers version of KT's P3AT and Ruger's LC9 is their version of KT's PF9.) If you have not found it yet.. Check out Twisted Industries.. (http://www.twistedindustries.net/products/ ) .... They make 22lr conversion's for the PF9.. Great to be able to practice with the same gun you carry for 1/3rd the cost in ammo...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
up--------> what he said, its a hand blaster, wear gloves or a band aid on trigger finger. everytime i fire mine it suprises me, and i flinch. dumped it for a G 26 for a carry peice.

·
Premium Member
36,650 Posts
I have shot one, wasn't all that fun, but wasn't that bad either.
They are nice enough to sell a rear sight adjustment pack, only $13 from Keltec.

I have a P11, same issue of shooting VERY low. The P11 sight kit includes both front and rear sight parts.

But the point is, these aren't target guns, they are point and shoot guns, for close range social interaction. They are supremely easy to carry, they are reliable, and they are relatively inexpensive, so in the end, they make great carry guns.

·
Premium Member
3,082 Posts
I'm a Kel Tec fan, although I only have one KT firearm. My P40 has been great, with just over 2,500 rounds through it the gun has been very reliable, with probably three failures in that time.

Basically if somebody asks me about budget guns I ask them what their price range is. If they've got less than $200 to spend I tell them Hi Point, if they've got less than $300 to spend I tell them Kel Tec.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I carry the P11 and the wife carries the P3AT we are happy with them

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have both a PF9 and a P11.Love them both,as posted before,theses are not target guns.More they are tools for serious social intercourse.
My P11 has a Armalaser and my PF9 carries a Crimson Trace .I put at least two mags a week out of each pistol. Doug

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dumped it for a G 26 for a carry piece.
I dumped my G27 to get this one, with $$ leftover. It never did much for me, and my Taurus is the exact same size, holds more rounds and is a .45acp. This will be a carry piece along with PT145. I like the idea of the frame mounted laser and belt clip, but I'm a south paw. I've seen recommendations for using grease before, I take it this would be for the slide rails? Anyone try the NorthWood trigger?
Thanks for the responses guys.

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
You might try The KelTec owners forum... http://www.thektog.org/forum/ ... I am sure any specific questions you have can be answered in a more through way... I have looked into the Northwood tigger mod... Might eventually go that route... But it will have to wait until I get the laser I want... The side clip they sell is nice... But since you are a south paw it would not work too well.. They only make them for the right side of the gun.. Additionally, thats the same side the side mount laser mounts on... And as well all know.. Two pieces of matter can not occupy the same space at the same time..

·
Good ole Boy
1,482 Posts
Do not get the steel guide rod unless you are looking to send the gun back every couple of years due to wear. It is a cosmetic upgrade only and causes more wear.

As far as the Northwood trigger, I do not use it but instead reshaped the trigger with a heat gun. Will post a link about that later.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've seen KTOG from google searches, I don't want to join another forum just to search on their site. Plus I like you guys here, your are a known quantity.
How about holsters? Not many are going to be specific for this model, but it will fit in some other model's holster. I've heard the 1911 holster, that seems a little on the large side.

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
I've seen KTOG from google searches, I don't want to join another forum just to search on their site. Plus I like you guys here, your are a known quantity.
How about holsters? Not many are going to be specific for this model, but it will fit in some other model's holster. I've heard the 1911 holster, that seems a little on the large side.
I use one that was custom made for me by a member here.. Duster... It actually is for my 2 inch 357mag but it works well for the PF9...

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
I owned two. Just sold the first one for $233. I bought is for 240+tax. Bought the second one to see if it could get a reliable one.

First one does fine through about 16 rounds then starts to jam,.

Second one does fine except it light strikes jhp or other shorter rounds.

I just bought a beretta nano and LOVE it. It is a wee bit thicker but is so much nicer to shoot.

Keeping the second pf9 for a car gun.

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
Just got one, nothing down range yet, maybe tomorrow. Who has an experienced based opinion?
I had one, but traded it off on the P-11. Nothing wrong with the PF-9, but my large hands just took a beating from that narrow grip. I have a much better shooting experience with my P-11.

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
....Second one does fine except it light strikes jhp or other shorter rounds.....
HUH....9mm headspaces on the case mouth... All factory loaded ammo is pretty much the same no matter what kind of bullet is loaded in the case... A 115gr FMJ round will be the same OAL as a 115gr HP round... + or - a few thousandths... Certainly not enough to cause light strikes...

·
Premium Member
36,650 Posts
Second one does fine except it light strikes jhp or other shorter rounds.
HUH....9mm headspaces on the case mouth... All factory loaded ammo is pretty much the same no matter what kind of bullet is loaded in the case... A 115gr FMJ round will be the same OAL as a 115gr HP round... + or - a few thousandths... Certainly not enough to cause light strikes...
What he said. That would be odd.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.