Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm settling into my new Gov't job and the increased paycheck is giving me ideas. Actually, I've wanted to get a suppressor for quite some time and now seems the best time to do it considering the storm clouds on the horizon.

I know little about silencers beyond the homemade ones I put on my airguns back in the day.

I do know I'll be suppressing my 9mms first; hopefully I'll have enough this summer to build and suppress a long-range rifle.

So, if any of you has any experience on this topic, I'd certainly appreciate whatever knowledge you can spare. I know there are suppressor forums out there but you guys are family so I prefer to talk to you first.

Thanks in advance,

-'bridge

·
Registered
222 Posts
stonebridge- If you are looking for suppressors there are several options. Yankee Hill Machine Company makes some nice ones and there are several other US manufacturers on-line. Just google sound suppressors and you will be able to find the manufacturers. Just remember that there is a huge deal of transfers and paperwork. There is a $200 tax stamp for a suppressor, plus the FFL transfer fees, and then the cost of the suppressor at usually $400 or more. All sound suppression devices have to be serial numbered and registered but are legal in most states, maybe all I can't remember. However, it is illegal to make homemade suppressors, though it can be done(youtube). Hope that helps.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Advanced Armament Corp. is having a little challenge right now...get a tattoo of their logo somewhere on your body, and if they approve, you get a free supressor (+$200 transfer fee)...

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
I've always heard Gemtech is the best. I've looked into making some myself, but generally for the trouble it's not really worth it for anything other than .22. If I was going to buy one, I'd probably go with a Gemtech.

I don't know about suppressing a high powered rifle though. Most of what I've seen, even in pistols, it's recommended that you use subsonic ammo or low pressure ammo because the gasses that the suppressor has to deal with can be too great in normal or high powered loads.

I'm no suppressor aficionado, I've just read a LOT of books about them, but mostly for pistols.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Advanced Armament Corp. is having a little challenge right now...get a tattoo of their logo somewhere on your body, and if they approve, you get a free supressor (+$200 transfer fee)...
What if you get the tattoo on your arse? ;)

·
Registered
222 Posts
SW- I hadn't heard that before about a liscense. How would one get a liscense to do so? I actually know how its done, that would be pretty cool. Could also make me a lot of money.

·
Registered
996 Posts
You have to get a tax stamp from the ATF...you can either go the trust route, or do it in your name, get fingerprints, get the local sherriff to sign off on it, etc, then mail it in with a $200 check and after about 12 weeks (current wait time) if you pass the snuff test, you get to have your NFA device...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks for the info. That would seen a logical route to go, especially if you want to suppress more than one weapon. Now to find a lathe........

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
if you build it yourself you have to go with the sherriff signature form. you cannot do a trust on a suppresor you build yourself, only one purchased from a mfg.

oh and on longevity, there a two suppresor styles. permanent baffle and wipe. Wipe style uses thin plastic disks that the first shot punctures. they degrade quickly and only last half a dozen shots at most. most modern suppresors are permanent baffle. they use steel baffles, wire mesh and other designs to redirect and absorb the firing gasses. most wipe style suppresors are sold as "retro" for vietnam era weapons while the more modern permanent baffle type are sold for oeprational use.

SW

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been trying to find the infamous Walther P22 "pop-bottle adapter" that used to be sold on ebay. It allowed you to thread an empty soda bottle onto your .22 for a one shot silencer. BATFE made the rounds on those who purchased. Would've been worth the $200 tax stamp for a $40 suppressor.

I think I'm going to go with an advanced armament suppressor for the Beretta 92. My class III guy told me there was a brand of suppressor with a removable "booster" that allowed you to transition the can from a pistol to a carbine without over-driving the carbine's mechanism. I haven't given up on threading the Cx4 Storm yet.

As of now it'd cost $75 to thread the 92F, $100 to thread the Cx4 plus a $200 tax stamp to register the Storm as an SBR, plus the cost of the suppressor and its $200 tax stamp. I might be able to write the suppressor off as a business expense if I use it during my classes. I know some of the ladies would appreciate learning on a gun without the "BANG."

Weigh in SW; you seem to have the most experience on this topic.

-'bridge

1 - 18 of 18 Posts