why.380? A different perspective

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by greg_r, Nov 26, 2015.

1. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

From a reloaders perspective.
    1. it's about the smallest cartridge anybody wants to load for.
    2. it's a low pressure cartridge. doesn't come with all the safety warnings that some like the 9mm and 40 s&w do.
    3. returns are good. I can load 50 rounds for $5 to $8 depending upon which bullets I use
    If I just reloaded 9mm and 223, I doubt I would. The savings just are not there, and while the case can be made that you are loading for ultimate performance in your particular firearm, in truth, off the shelf ammo usually performs just fine.

It's the 380's, 25acp's and 45/70's that will pay for your equipment faster, if that is one of your requirements.

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    It's OK, Greggy, you just have to convince yourself, not all of us :p

I KNOW! See the avatar... :D

[​IMG]

Good Points, however.

3. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

I'm currently reloading 9mm @ $6 per 50, .45 @ $8.50 per 50, and .223 @ $10 per 50. My reloading equipment has already paid for itself.

4. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

On a side note. IMO,The only good reason for .380 is the smaller platform offerings. Just seems like any larger cal pistols are equally larger, bulkier, less capacity, etc. As I said; IMO. Save your arguments for another time. I don't care. Just sayin :rolleyes:

5. greg_r

$10 for 50 223? :eek::eek: That's high! What bullets you using?

6. greg_r

I was actually just responding to the Why .380? Thread. Probably should have posted this as a reply there. I was just talking about the suitability and savings of reloading 380.

7. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

I'm using Hornady right now. They're $90/1000.

Bullet = .09
    Powder = .08
    Primer = .03
    Total = .20 each

What cost do you load them at?

8. greg_r

Use surplus bullets, blems or pulled bullets. You will cut your cost by 1/3 to 1/2.

9. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

Can you link to a source?

10. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Have you looked at rmr or extreme

11. greg_r

I buy them from a LGS in King NC. He sets up a booth at the flea market every weekend. There is another that caters to reloaders. The Gun Store in Lexington NC. They both buy in bulk and repackage in 100, 500, and 1000 round bags.

I would check any store in your area that caters to reloaders.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  12. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

Xtreme's .223 bullets are $50.16/500 + $5.00 shipping. RMR does have 55gr seconds on sale for $65/1000 with free shipping. I got ahold of some seconds once and hated them. Trying to hold the oal of the cartridge sucked.

13. greg_r

RMR bullets can be had for as little as $35 per 1000. I have been wondering about them, but don't know much about them except they are frangible and non lead. Have you ever tried them? Can they be pushed to 2800 fps plus? Where is load data found?

14. moona11

Rmr sells a lot of pulled bullets to you have to frequent the site to see what they have. I've used their 2nds for pistols and they worked fine. Never used 2nd rifle bullets from them yet. Extreme has sales daily if you sigh up also.

15. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

I use Xtreme for my 9mm, .45acp, .38/.357, and have ordered their .223 when they're on sale or I can't find good bullets any where cheaper.

16. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I bought a few thousand plated 180gr .400 projectiles from RMR. I believe the rec was to use cast load data for them, but I run them with a hot FMJ load with no problems.

17. moona11

I run them midway no issues either. I also got a few thousand hydro shok pulled 40 from them last year they are good to go to :-D

18. greg_r

I actually went to their sight and read about their sinterfire bullets. Answered all my guestions...go figure! :eek: $32 for 1000, wow! So I clicked the link to order and the price chanced to $93??? :mad: guess I'll stay with the pulls and seconds from the local shops.

19. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

That's a bit of an up charge. Shipping?

20. greg_r

I didn't get that far. I clicked on the product that said 1000 bullets and it opened up a page that said 250 bullets.