Why did you choose a pistol caliber carbine?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by Ric_in_OR, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Ric_in_OR

Ric_in_OR Guest

I guess this could be a poll question, I just don't think I could list all the reasons people might have.

2. Dreamthief

Dreamthief Senior Member Member

because it's cheap round wise, effective, compact and reliable...

3. stremph

stremph Guest

I originally wanted a 9mm upper for my AR-15 for cheaper plinking with the AR platform. I had shot a Hi-Point 995 before and I liked it, so when I realized that the cost of a 9mm upper/bolt/magwell set-up was in the $700-$900 range, I decided to go with the 995. Being that it's a plinker, mag capacity was never a factor in this decision.

4. To have a happy medium between the pistols and hi power rifles

5. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

becuase it was different and nobody else around here has one.

SW

6. I went for the fact that 9mm is cheap to shoot!!!!!

7. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member Member

240 bucks for a 4095 that works, Couldnt pass that up.

8. blkhwkfxr

blkhwkfxr Guest

Not to sound too cheesey, but it was this forum that got me interested in the idea. I was in the market for a new firearm and checked out alot of forums on the whole spectrum of guns and thier owners. I already owned the pistols that I planned on having and after reading the posts on here, decided to go with a hi-point carbine.
    Personally I thought all the other forum members from high end rifle and carbine sites were kinda stuck on themselves and how much thier weapons cost. Not my scene. But everyone here seems to be down to earth, good natured folk... so I bought my Hipoint carbine. I have to say, I am very glad in my choice. Cost effective and a whole lot of fun at the range.

9. Oneofsix

Oneofsix Member

NC
    My two main carry guns are a .357 and the Star M40. I already have a Rossi Puma, so when the 4095 showed up on a local board, I hemmed and hawed, the seller didn't sell at a gun show, so I jumped on it. Seemed natural for Monk-like guy like me(keeping it even an all)
    Still working on the collection so when the C&R shows up I'll be looking at some MN's and a few other old milsurps :D

10. I got it because it was something different and I decieded it was worth trying out. I had already picked up the C9 and liked it. Now 3 HP pistols and a carbine later I'm looking forward to the 4095 and possibly the 4595 if it ever actually makes it to market.

11. neothespian

neothespian Member

There's alot of reasons to choose a pistol caliber carbine over a standard rifle these days.

-Cost. Pure and simple. 9mm is currently at a great price in comparison to some other rounds such as .223 and 7.62 (of any variants).

-Application. These days, if you (god forbid) have to use it, most urban environments are BAD for rounds that have a high velocity and can get going past the thing you're trying to hit. A pistol caliber carbine, while multiplying your standard velocity over a pistol firing, still keeps the velocity low in comparison to, say, a .223 or the like, but give you the accuracy of a long gun.

-Versatility. You can use the same ammo for your pistol that you use for your carbine. This can never be a bad thing, since it makes keeping track of stocks easier and makes bulk purchasing easier.

-Size. Carbines, on average, are lighter and a bit shorter than their rifle counterparts. They're great for limited space such as on board boats or vehicles, and can be easily fired by those of different body types without much training.

12. GlockMan

GlockMan Member

Seen the 995 carbine when it first was introduced by Hi-point some years ago and I wanted something in a pistol caliber carbine for 100yd and under Coyote shooting in Maine. My 995 is one of the oldest still in use from what Hi-Point has told me and she has never given me a lick of problem. I might trade or sell other guns I own but would never consider giving up my Hi-Point 995 9mm Carbine. I also own the 4095 and have since they were released by Hi-Point a few years back and that little lady has also been perfect.

13. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

It was in my price range for a first gun purchase, and I liked the fact 9mm is cheap.

14. 9mm is pretty cheap to shoot. It also makes a fun round for plinking.

15. GrOuNd_ZeRo

GrOuNd_ZeRo Gun Fanatic Member

back in 2003 I was already sold on the 995 for many reasons, I will start off with something.

I originally wanted a WASR-10, only 10 round versions were still cheap (much cheaper than they are now) but I couldn't afford a firearm.

Later on I wanted a Remington 597 but decided a .22LR is not a good defensive firearm, I came acrossed the 995 when finding a WASR-10, I was sold right there, it had a pistol grip, had the cheap but effective 9mm round and looks good to boot.

it wasn't until 2007 till I bought my first 995 but have been happy with it for the most part, it still needs to be sent in for maintenence though, the magazine is not in good condition (broken spring but still works) and I had some stovepipes which may be due to the magazine. but I don't know yet.

16. I had got the 995 for Angel to use as a house and yard gun because it was a pistol cal. carbine and she liked the ( feel ) of it . After seing how good and reliable it is I got a 4095 for myself and have not regretted my purchase of either one . BTW we have both a 9mm and a 40 cal handgun.
    Spot

17. cheap and fun to shoot and more effective than a pistol.

18. Cheap to plink with yet good for home defense.

19. We picked up the 995 because it shot cheap ammo that carried over to my PT92... essentially ammo commonality....

Now that I have a C9 and "too many" mags for the 995, I have ammo and mag continuity.... as long as both continue to perform as they are supposed to, it is a win/win situation for us....

20. condition1

condition1 Member

I wanted something with the same caliber as my pistol that was reasonably priced and reliable. I got all that with something that is highly accurate and recommend them to everyone I know.