Why did you decide to CC

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by mr_flintstone, Dec 17, 2014.

1. mr_flintstone

mr_flintstone Supporting Member

I got my CCDW because the crappy economy and high unemployment in my area has lead to an increase in crime. I have lived here over 40 years, and for most of that time the biggest problem has been shoplifting and petty theft. In the past five years, though, we have had several murders and a dramatic increase in home break-ins and armed robberies.

Some of you are police or retired law enforcement, so it's obvious. For the rest, what has lead to your decision to get a CCW and/or open carry?

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    "Why did you decide to CC"

Because it fits my lifestyle better than OC.

3. bluharley

bluharley Member

You guys talked me into it:)

4. Old and poor health. I can't beat the crap out of them anymore.

5. rickm

rickm Member

I have thought about it for many years (30) but have just now got to the point i was financially able to get back into firearms like i wanted to and seemed like a good thing to do before things got any worse.

6. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Because I'm fat, slow, short of breath, lazy, did I say I was fat?
    Oh, because now I watch the news & DON'T want to be in the news!

I REFUSE TO BE A VICTIM!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  7. bluharley

bluharley Member

What he said!:D

8. lsi1

lsi1 Member

my wife talked me into it. she had her carry permit before i had mine. I was 6'3 and about 240 then and had no doubts that i'd be able to take care of myself she convinced me that maybe i couldn't. since then i've gotten fat and lazy.

9. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

Now being 59 years old.
    Having a several compressed vertebrae if twisted the wrong way could put me on the disability rolls.
    Plus having broken my left tibia which the docs have warned me to never run on. Which means I cannot run away from a fight.
    So, fighting to the finish or dying in place is my only option any more.

10. menhir

menhir Member

Many years ago I worked as an estimator.
    I was once given a lead to an address and a meeting time well after dark.
    I found myself in a very bad neighborhood at night standing on the porch of what turned out to be an unoccupied house.
    The thought crossed my mind...Am I being set up? And if I was, I was totally on my own with my ass hanging out in the wind.
    In any case, me and my ass didn't hang around long enough to find out.
    I wasn't new to firearms...I come from a family of police and hunters, but it was only at that point that I decided to get my CC permit and put it to use.

11. colthrash

colthrash Member

my county is approx. 6000 sq. miles, and we average 4 LEO on duty at any given time. This is split between city police and county sheriffs. there are highway patrol but you never know where they are at any given time. They call this rural/frontier area so I plan accordingly, when seconds count help is minutes away. having a ccw is just another tool in the box.

12. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

My Dad is a retired LEO and my younger brother is a deputy sheriff. My wife is retired from the AG's office. I have been told many times how LEO train many more hours to collect evidence than to stop crime.
    COPS are NOT superman!!!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  13. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Its part of the job. And feel naked without one

14. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Member

In Arizona, in 1997, I was threatened with a 38 revolver in a WalMart parking lot by a little old man in a beat up old pickup truck. Sounds funny now but wasnt funny at the time. I got his license number off the truck and reported it to the local police who did nothing because he was from another town. I took the CCW class a few weeks later and have carried ever since.

15. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Because I have a right to........

16. Plain and simple.

I am responsible for my own safety, the police are not.

17. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Because I can.;)

18. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Because if something happens, seconds are precious and you don't have time to look up the phone number for 911. ;)

19. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Because my wife finally let me ;)

But, yeah, crime starting getting significantly worse in my town. My little pocket of a neighborhood is relatively decent, but the surrounding area is less than ideal.

Plus, with the shootings in Aurora and the mall in Oregon, you just never know when and where.

20. bigfrank330

bigfrank330 Member