Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,

"This Forum is for Stuff that just doesn't fit everywhere else." And the lounge doesn't allow gun questions, so this MUST be the place.

So here's the question: (and I'll relate MY answer in this topic later... it's a good story):

What SPECIFIC event, mood, emotion, etc. gave you a reason to purchase a HANDGUN specifically for Home Defense (no rifles, shotguns, slingshots, trebuchets, or baseball bats) ?

The reason I specify handgun is that most rifle or shotgun owners use them for other purposes like hunting... and they could easily serve a dual purpose. (I don't want to argue here... I know that handguns can be used for sport, too... But I am trying to determine why we specifically decide why we want/need a HANDGUN to fill the role of Home Defense.)

And if anybody decided they needed a trebuchet for home defense.... well I guess I'd like to hear THAT story too!

Let's hear 'em guys...

Charlie

·
Registered
671 Posts
I don't know if this applies as it's more of personal defence, but I bought my first so I could stick it in the truck or boat.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why?
I need/want to buy a handgun for personal defense to stick in my truck or boat... because....

A friend of mine was attacked in his car/boat...
I don't feel safe from flamingos in my boat without a gun to hand.
So many carjackings lately... I didn't want to be another victim...

(I'm not picking on you I just am looking for more than one line answers... What's the story behind getting the gun?)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Because my (at the time) 4 year old daughter was nearly abducted from our fenced in back yard 6 years back.

Figured if they were stupid enough to come back for a 2nd try, then I needed to put a little Clorox in the gene pool.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Becaise I have reasons to live for, my wife, my son and my dogs and a shotgun is too big to carry everywhere.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Why?
I need/want to buy a handgun for personal defense to stick in my truck or boat... because....

A friend of mine was attacked in his car/boat...
I don't feel safe from flamingos in my boat without a gun to hand.
So many carjackings lately... I didn't want to be another victim...

(I'm not picking on you I just am looking for more than one line answers... What's the story behind getting the gun?)
I don't see the need of having a story. I own shot-guns, and rifles, but decided that a handgun would be a good ad. It can be used in tighter spaces... it usually holds more rounds than a shotty, I wanted one. No story what so ever. I wanted one so I got one. I'd rather have the gun before the 'story'. Guns can be tools. If a guy wants to take one in his car or boat for self defense what is the big deal? Just because odds are that nothing will happen doesn't mean he shouldn't be prepared. There doesn't need to be a because.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Javelina,

I don't disagree... but there are stories out there... I just thought they'd be interesting...

I do agree with your point about having the gun before the story... Sometimes those stories end with no reason to get a gun... because they didn't have one to defend themselves in the first place (and the story ends with a victim who maybe should have had a gun).

I want(ed) one I got one... I got the right... that's fine.

Guns can be tools. Yep... I bought a hammer cause I wanted to build/fix something or hang a picture. I didn't buy a hammer because I might someday build something.

I'm not trying to be disagreeable... or start arguments... so let me rephrase...

If you have or had a specific reason to purchase a handgun for HD and there's a story behind it... relate the story.

If you had no particular reason to buy a handgun but you wanted one... sure, list that too.

I know that things that get posted on the net can hang around forever... so I can understand some caution...

But, I'm not personally aggregating facts/stories to defend or rebut reasons for buing any weapon. I just think the stories and attitudes of people buying them would be a topic of interest for the folks that frequent this forum...

If need be... I'll go first... sheesh it aint that big a deal.

Charlie

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let me start with this... this is a REALLY GOOD story... I read it back in 1981 when it was first printed... and that was about 6 years after I bought my first handgun for Home Defense... and about 3 years after I had my professional CC permit... and about 1 year after I had my personal CC permit.

This letter to the Editor of Esquire magazine is a classic... and should be a part of the dialogue FOR CC permits every day...

Here's the link: http://www.keepandbeararms.com/Information/XcIBViewItem.asp?ID=3499

Tuesday of next week, I will post MY story...

Promise!

Charlie

G

·
I purchased my first hand gun when I moved to Texas in the early 80's. In New York it was almost impossible to get a hand fun. I have always been fascinated with them and once I bought my first single six 22 I was hooked. Since then I have a Hungarian 380 and Hi Point 40. I bought the 40 for IDPA type shooting that I saw on Wednesday night on the range. I bought the 380 for ccw and protection everywhere. I sometimes carry the 40 just to see if I can. It is a little heavy but with time it doesn't bother me.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
i know i will probably catch some flack for this, but i don't care.

i consider myself a pacifist. i have really come to understand the true meaning of that word over the last few years. i owned guns before i decided that this was the path for me, and i kept them because i do enjoy blowing the sh#t out of a watermelon here or there. but i kept the guns locked and unloaded in the garage.

due to a deep religious belief in the sancitity of human life, i could not forsee a circumstance where i was justified in taking a life. if someone wanted to kill me, i still did not feel justified to take a life.....its hard to explain but it meant something to me.......until

someone, in the middle of a sunday morning, tried to break into my house while my wife and kids were home. suddenly, all that changed. now, not only do i keep my mossy close by my bed, i am also seriously considering getting my CCL.

i wont go into philosophical details other than to say, my mind has been changed.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My first handgun.
Why?
Just turned 21, Young Marine, Just married, First kid on the way, and a close female friend was "date" raped.
And this was all in Hawaii "State was/is very Anti-Gun"

·
Registered
476 Posts
My father in-law told me and my brother in-law if we got our carry permit he would buy us our first gun ( no more than $400 each) .. We both applied the next day and within a month we had our first handguns . The first handgun I purchased was at a gun show .. I saw the price of $135 for a new in box hp c9 and could not resist .

·
Registered
249 Posts
My first handgun was a Taurus .44 magnum.. wasn't looking for a gun at the time, but the price was too good to pass up, so I bought it and kept it beside the bed. Still sits there today, and sees regular target practice.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
My wife saw some show on TV. When I got home she told me "You are buying a gun!!"
Before this event, she was against me having a gun in the house & I don't know what show she watched.
I did have my .410 single shot but it isn't much of a home defense gun.
My wife also has a Police Scanner that we love to listen to. We noticed a big increase in crime & then an increase in our own neighborhood.
I bought a 995 first but I told my wife I wanted to get my CCW so I later bought a C9.
I figured it was a good idea considering the kid next door was mugged at the park, twice, & it was only 3 blocks away.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Mine wasn't really for HD. I already had a scattergun & levergun for that. I wanted to try an auto since I had no experience with them. Have had several revolvers over the years but always wanted to try an auto. Got the JHP and as everyone here knows you can't have just 1 Hi-Point so I went back and got the C9. Besides you can't hold a revolver sideways at head height :cantlook: and look like a thug. :cool2: :embarrassed2:

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Because my kids were grown and gone, and I wanted to get back to shooting. It was enjoyable while I was in the Marines, I had time, and it sounded like fun. And it is.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i got my first hand gun a .22 auto because there's not much left of a grouse after a 6mm rem got done with it, i got my second hand gun a 44 mag because when i stumbled on a small heard of elk they where gone by the time i shouldered, loaded, and could find the scope, i got my 3rd hand a chrome c9 because it looked cool and i just wanted it, i got my 4th hand gun a 357 snuby because i drove my work truck past columbine HS on 4-20-1999 between 11:00 and 11:05 less then 20 min before 2 punks changed the world as i knew it. i had to get serious about protecting my self, and my loved ones and my 12ga just couldn't sit close enough to my bed with out being a trip hazard.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.