Why do different alcohols mess you up differently?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by SWAGA, Jul 16, 2015.

1. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

We've been talking about poison of choice in several threads.
    Here's my question: how come certain alcohols ef you up more then others.
    I swear I have not had one night with Tequila that didn't end in tears lol

What is the scientific reason, if there is any, why certain distilled alcohols mess you up more then others?

Exploring the old interwebz hasn't really provided a satisfactory answer.

2. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I have seen alcohol RUIN many a GOOD man!
    I almost let it take me to places, I didn't want to go, haven't had a drink since June 23rd, 1988!

3. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Wine and liquor make me sleepy, but beer--That's a whole 'nother story. It makes me fart like an old tractor.

Different kinds of alcohol certainly do have different kinds of effects.

4. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Mel that helped a lot. :rolleyes:
    Good for you i mean that.

5. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

must be the body chemistry. wild ass Guess

6. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Has a lot to do with the source. Sugar based (vodka) seems to be the easiest on ya. Then it's fruit based (brandies), molasses/brown sugar (rum), grains (whiskey/rye/etc) with Agave Cactus (Tequila) and rice (sake) being the worst. The addition of coloring and flavoring (sugars, caramel, wood aging, etc) factor in as well. All these factor into hangovers as well. Best chance for a hangover free morning is Vodka with water chasers (to keep hydrated).

Also there's ABV/Proof. ABV is Alcohol by Volume. Proof is double. So 100 proof = 50% alcohol. The higher ABV, the more messed up you get. BTW 50% or higher is flammable.

Sorry I can't help with scientific proof. I only have my completely uninformed opinion.

7. EvilE424

EvilE424 Death to Dishonor Lifetime Supporter

Piggybacking off Cicpup's post is the following info.

The body will automatically process sugar faster then other products (hence fruit drinks or those mixed with soda are consumed faster then those that are mixed with water). Its because the body recognizes the sugar and therefore processes it at a higher rate. Now if you're straight shooting the stuff, I have no idea!!!!

8. Rerun

Rerun Member

It means Your eyesight is excellent!

eldar

9. EvilE424

EvilE424 Death to Dishonor Lifetime Supporter

LOL Eldar - only with corrective lenses

10. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

I MUCH prefer Vodka. Liquid Potato...yum

11. mr_flintstone

mr_flintstone Supporting Member

Tequila sneaks up on you and mugs you. You'll be walking and talking just fine, and then you'll feel something cold on your shoulder... the floor.

12. SWAGA

Mmm....makes me think the additives or the way of manufacturing or aging nah have something to do with the level of intoxication and the level of aggression.

13. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

Ever have anyone tell you alcohol will "pickle your brain"? It's true.

Aldehydes are commonly generated by alcohol oxidation, including formaldehyde. (The stuff your frog came in for dissection in high school biology.) While the creation of formaldehyde is normally from the oxidation of methanol, some formaldehyde is formed when ethanol (drinking alcohol) is oxidized.

Along with the formaldehyde, there are many other aldehydes and ketones produced when your body burns up the alcohol.

Morning after breath? That's the ketones from the breakdown of alcohol.

Headache? That's mainly the aldehydes.

This information is brought to you from a quasi professional, currently practicing "cork dork". :D

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  14. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I'm thinking the co-factors are the additives, sugar content and the impurities. Basically
    everything Cic said, I have heard from good friends and some experience. I do not drink much
    at all, maybe a beer or 2 each fiscal quarter ;)

15. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Take 1 bottle of Bones Farm, drink 1/4 of it. Top it back up to full with everclear... I suggest wearing a diaper if it has the same effect on you as it did a friend of mine. He went to the outhouse and forgot to pull his pants down... then he passed out in there. We found him in the morning... He has yet to live that one down either! Made him shower outside with the garden hose :D that woke him up!

As everyone mentioned it is the way it was made, the ingredients, amount of sugars... and how your body processes it. When I was drinking I could down a 12 pack of beer and walk away with no real effects, add in a whiskey coke and I got super drunk.

16. SWAGA

But why does certain stuff make a fighter out of you and some a blubbering romantic?
    Last time I had Tequila shots I called a 300+lbs bartender an UFF and really, I'm usually not like that.

I used to have a drinking buddy who was 5'2 and maybe 130lbs.
    Bad drunk. Fun to hang out with but oh boy, if he started drinking liquor he'd pick fights with random people.

17. Fracman

Fracman Member

I drank a beer once. Many times

18. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I saw some bacon infused vodka that the liquor store last week. I don't drink vodka.

19. colthrash

colthrash Member

I normally drink Guinness, but for liquor I prefer coconut rum, over ice. whiskey makes me crazy (last time I drank it I tried to eat a pine tree with onion dip). I stick to rum now (pine needles are kinda poisonous) who knew??? I haven't drank tequila since the 80's, just the smell sends me in the other direction...

20. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    So is alcohol, so that idea isn't fully valid.:D

BTW...not all pines are poisonous. According to the interwebz, these are. But according to me as trained by my Forest Service dad...these aren't all "pines", so who knows if this list is right?:rolleyes:

Ponderosa Pine; also known as Blackjack, Western Yellow, Yellow, and Bull Pine. This pine contains isocupressic acid, which is known to cause abortions in cattle. It is feared the same could happen in humans, so pregnant women and those who might be pregnant are often advised not to consume pine needle tea, even though not all species have this acid. Others that do contain it are:

Lodgepole Pine, or Shore Pine; isocupressic acid

Common Juniper; isocupressic acid

Monterey Cypress, or Macrocarpa; isocupressic acid

Common Yew; another evergreen, all parts of this tree contain aniline and taxane, both toxic substances that can cause abdominal cramps, dizziness, rashes, skin discoloration, and in extreme cases death. Taxane is used in chemotherapy. That doesn’t sound fun, does it?

Norfolk Pine, or Australian Pine; known to be poisonous to house pets.