Why I hate Cadillac and their brake lights

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lklawson, Oct 27, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

A few years back Cadillac switched their tail lights / brake lights to LED. I assume that this gives them greater longevity between changes (nearly "lifetime" I suspect), is more energy efficient, etc.

But Cadillac did something which makes their LED tail lights, in specific, different from other manufactures using LED tail lights. Cadillac (as I understand it) set the oscillating frequency to some wonky high frequency that makes their lights appear to "trail" as I look at them, and particularly when I "glace past" them at night. But even if I'm not "glancing past" and am just driving behind a Cadillac, the frequency just kinda starts working into my eyes like a small steel worm slowly burrowing into my brain. Literally gives me a headache. It's maddening!

Some other LED tail lights can do this to some degree, but never even close to as bad as whatever the heck Cadillac did to their circuit.

It makes me want to dig up the Engineer who made the decision and smash his nose! <grrrr>

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

That can trigger migraine in people that have them. Nighttime driving can be rough.

3. RobbK

RobbK Member

That can also trigger a epileptec episode you might want to get checked out.

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Never had a seizure yet. But trying to drive at night with those tail lights on the road does give me a headache. It feels like one of those "tired eyes" headaches you get when you've been staring at your computer monitor for 12 hours trying to figure out why your code isn't compiling.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    And this is why we have a passing gear....:p

6. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

or more nooky.....one of the two solutions to any problem in the world.

7. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I hate those white head lights. Blind you a mile away on low beam.

8. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

I tend to stay from cadillacs. Their drivers are either going half the speed limit or total freakin road hogs. Can't stand either. They are the ones you see in the acceleration lane coming on to the hiway going 30 mph when everyone on the hiway is going 70. They dive in to traffic and it's the domino effect for a mile back. Totally sucks! Don't get me started! :mad:

9. moona11

Thats cause they are all over 70 years old :rofl::rofl:

10. I drive 300-400 miles 5 days a week,starting at 6:00 am.2 hours more or less of darkness,depending on time of year and weather.There's always the clueless who leave their brights on and then there's those who drive nice new cars with flashy tail lights.Just never concentrate on lights.Look at other things that are in your view,momentarily.Not cellphones either.
    You can't do anything about it and sometimes a nice sunrise or a clouded moon brings vision back into perspective.Depends on your direction.

11. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Even worse here are the pickup truck owners that think they need to replace their OEM lights with the cheapo "blue" lights from Autozone...:mad:

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Even worse are those same guys that then add a 4 inch lift, but don't adjust the lights to compensate.:mad:

About the Caddy....

Cadillac
    > Avg. age of buyer: 59.5 years

On the other hand..there are two high school senior girls in my building that drive an Escalade to school every day.:p

13. moona11

My son has those on his truck. they are so stupid

14. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    They's different. Caddys are owned by elderly Floridians and New Yorkers. Escalades are owned by rich housewives, spoiled kids, rappers and pro jocks.

15. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Cadillac Escalade
    You just paid 90 grand for a Chevy Suburban

16. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Nope, you just are getting a glimpse into the matrix! :foilhat:

17. moona11

Take the blue pill.

18. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

You left out pimps and drug dealers!

19. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

What I hate are the morons who add driving lights that can light up a tree 10 miles down the road and they don't connect them to the high beam circuit so they are always on!