Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 3 of 13 Posts

· Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been quietly wondering something for QUIT a while now. I want to see what others have to say, so I'm going after it on the Hi-Point Firearms Forum. (This is actually the only online firearms forum I interact with even close-to-frequently.)

The point - Why don't almost any* modern (last 40+ years) bolt action rifles come with a manual "cocking knob/piece"?
Think: the little plunger on the back of the Keystone Cricket*, Mosin Nagant, 1879 Lee, Schmidt Rubin Swiss K31 (loop) and the Old Sears 30-30 I used in the 1980's. Plus a few others, that I can't name.

As I recall, there was a safety benefit from not having the mechanism cocked while walking/standing with a round in the chamber. As I recall, with the plunger back, you could still cycle the bolt. All I had to do was use my index and middle fingers to quickly & quietly pull the knob back then sight the target. It didn't take long. It seems to me to be a safer design than just relying on a trigger safety. Like a hammer-fired single/double action pistol. Redundant, maybe. But I liked it.

Wood Line Fireworks Recreation Gun accessory

Wood Metal Fashion accessory Titanium Composite material

Wood Rectangle Musical instrument Metal Font

Musical instrument Wood Gas Cylinder Metal

· Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Crossbolt and thumb safeties are just as effective as a safety and don't require dismounting the rifle from the shoulder or releasing the trigger hand in order to disengage the safety. It's just a matter of practicality.

Piece favor your sword (mobile)
I didn't have to pull it from my shoulder to pull the knob. That being said, the pulling typically happened as the gun was coming up.

· Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Simple reason : Better ammo....the "cocking-piece" gave the rifle an EZ way to effect a re-strike.
Ammo wuz not always as reliable as it is now...brass wu not hi-quality and primer technology wuz young.

By & large re-strikes aren't needed any more...and besides that, the lack of the "cocking-piece" improves
lock-time and streamlines production.

REDD
I can actually accept that.
I still want it on my b/a rifle though. Personnel thing.
Simple reason : Better ammo....the "cocking-piece" gave the rifle an EZ way to effect a re-strike.
Ammo wuz not always as reliable as it is now...brass wu not hi-quality and primer technology wuz young.

By & large re-strikes aren't needed any more...and besides that, the lack of the "cocking-piece" improves
lock-time and streamlines production.

REDD
That works.
Which would explain why we still see it on the Cricket. Rimfire ammo. Plus, it may be a good safety training aid for the target audience - young beginning shooters.

1 - 3 of 13 Posts