Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
5,186 Posts
This is only my opinion, but with a mag in the pistol and an empty chamber, you can use the pistol as a club, it can be dropped from an airplane, and it is not going to shoot because there is no round in the chamber.

If you have a round in the chamber, and the safety on, that means that the firing pin is cocked back and only two things have to happen for the weapon to fire. The safety has to move to the off position, and the trigger has to be pulled whether on purpose or accidentally.

I do not know if you remember the shotgun hunter that got shot by his own shotgun accidentally by his dog.

He sit the shotgun in the bed of his pickup pointing towards himself, and the dog dancing around in the back of the pickup knocked the safety off and hit the trigger, shooting and killing him.

If he had not had a shell in the tube, he would be alive today.

Stuff happens, and when it comes to firearms, the results can be permanent.

· Premium Member
5,186 Posts
I see no reason to keep the safety on with a weapon that has a loaded mag but nothing in the tube.

Its just another step to go through to make the weapon ready to fire.
Not too often does a slide get pulled back by accident without the person noticing.

· Premium Member
5,186 Posts
I think the whole round chambered think just kinda scares some people.
Here is food for thought, no one has ever been shot by a weapon, whether by accident or on purpose, unless it had a bullet in the barrel.

Not something to be scared of, but definitely something to keep in the back of your mind.

· Premium Member
5,186 Posts
I carry mine in condition 1, MINUS the safety!

My 1st shot is DA, so just being nervous/scared/whatever isn't going to mess me up so bad that i AD or anything. All 7 consecutive shots thereafter are SA.

If you have a split second to unholster,........//BOOM the BG just shot//.........take safety off, rack, aim, and pull trigger; You're dead before you can rack that slide.
The BG can get you at any time, there is no law that says that you will be able to clear leather and get him because you have a round in the tube. He may have already had the drop on you. Every scenario will be different.

I agree that if it is your job, carrying SAFELY as close as possible to ready to shoot is good, but there is no law in nature that says that the one second it takes to rack the slide is going to cost you your life.

Any condition carried is better than asking the guy to hold on a sec while you run back to the office and get your mag ;)

· Premium Member
5,186 Posts
Another thought might be, worst case scenario, that should the BG get hold of your weapon, he, or she would "think" there were a round chambered, allowing you an additional second or two to get out of Dodge, or secure the weapon from said BG, and bring him/her from being tried by a jury of his peers, to being carried by a group of his peers.
Just my thoughts.

Doc
Another good point to consider

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.