Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Premium Member
5,186 Posts
I carry mine in condition 1, MINUS the safety!

My 1st shot is DA, so just being nervous/scared/whatever isn't going to mess me up so bad that i AD or anything. All 7 consecutive shots thereafter are SA.

If you have a split second to unholster,........//BOOM the BG just shot//.........take safety off, rack, aim, and pull trigger; You're dead before you can rack that slide.
The BG can get you at any time, there is no law that says that you will be able to clear leather and get him because you have a round in the tube. He may have already had the drop on you. Every scenario will be different.

I agree that if it is your job, carrying SAFELY as close as possible to ready to shoot is good, but there is no law in nature that says that the one second it takes to rack the slide is going to cost you your life.

Any condition carried is better than asking the guy to hold on a sec while you run back to the office and get your mag ;)

G

·
i'd agree with that, speed is effected by so many things racking the slide may or may not get tyou killed.. probably wont matter in the end.

chances are they BG has the drop on you like you said because if you could see it coming you'd already have the gun pointed at them or not be there at all.

G

·
I see no reason to keep the safety on with a weapon that has a loaded mag but nothing in the tube.

Its just another step to go through to make the weapon ready to fire.
Not too often does a slide get pulled back by accident without the person noticing.
Not sure where I read it, or whether I heard it when I took my cwp (more likely)
Under SHTF stress mode, in general, for the average person, fine motor skills become more difficult to perform, small muscle groups are not needed as much in "flight or fight mode" ie the body is more likely to be able to pull the slide back, rather than dropping the safety, of course, if practiced enough, theoretically it would become second nature. I am not totally convinced that I could "remember" the safety easier than bringing the weapon into battery by pulling the slide back, and having the first round ready to go. For my personal protection weapons I leave the magazine loaded, in place, but nothing chambered.
Another thought might be, worst case scenario, that should the BG get hold of your weapon, he, or she would "think" there were a round chambered, allowing you an additional second or two to get out of Dodge, or secure the weapon from said BG, and bring him/her from being tried by a jury of his peers, to being carried by a group of his peers.
Just my thoughts.

Doc

· Premium Member
5,186 Posts
Another thought might be, worst case scenario, that should the BG get hold of your weapon, he, or she would "think" there were a round chambered, allowing you an additional second or two to get out of Dodge, or secure the weapon from said BG, and bring him/her from being tried by a jury of his peers, to being carried by a group of his peers.
Just my thoughts.

Doc
Another good point to consider

· Registered
47 Posts
As a member of the law enforcement community, let me tell you guys how we carry our sidearms on duty.

We carry Glock 40 cal. empty chamber set on a dead trigger ! sounds crazy huh?
Let me reaasure you we do so many drawing the weapons drills that we can draw chamber and gain sight alignment with incredible speed and it has become second nature. IMHO it is much safer safer than carrying one "in the pipe". If my weapon is ever taken from me and the BG tries to fire it, he will be in for a rude awakening as I crush his forearm with my baton while he stares at the gun !! :wink:

The only real draw back is that our department has added an additional thumb safety on the Glock... totally ridiculous !

G

·
As a member of the law enforcement community, let me tell you guys how we carry our sidearms on duty.

Let me reaasure you we do so many drawing the weapons drills that we can draw chamber and gain sight alignment with incredible speed and it has become second nature. IMHO it is much safer safer than carrying one "in the pipe". If my weapon is ever taken from me and the BG tries to fire it, he will be in for a rude awakening as I crush his forearm with my baton while he stares at the gun !! :wink:

The only real draw back is that our department has added an additional thumb safety on the Glock... totally ridiculous !
You should show pics, if you could of your Glock.

1,782 Posts
So your "depatment" Spent almost as much as the original cost of the weapon to add a THUMB saftey to a weapon that will not have a round chambered.

I do not want to sound rude but I have a real hard time believing this.

A digital camera is not difficult to bring to work and take a pic.

Also it is not difficult to take clear pics.

like I said I do not want to sound rude.

would you mind mentioning were about this department is???

G

·
Rnd. in the chamber when out of the house. Chamber a round when I leave, and clear when I return. All in the privicy of my garge. Why would u carry conceled any other way? You may not have time to chamber in todays outdoor environment.But if someone breaks into your house you'll likely hear them comming and have the time.

· Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The only Glock I have ever seen in any configuration that had any kind of lever or switch on the side of it, besides the slide stop, was a Glock 18 with a full-auto selector, I used to own a 19 and a 23 and carried one or the other of them daily.

The Glock was NOT designed to have a manual safety and I have trouble believing that you could even get any sort of functional one in there anywhere. Not saying it can't be done, but it would basically take a re-design of the pistol to accommodate. I doubt Glock would go to the expense for one or even a couple of US PD's

Show us pics! MUST HAVE PICS!!

G

·
Biggunz you are the exception to the rule.. most street cops can't tie their shoes without shooting them selves, ok thats an exaggeration but seriously patrol officers are'nt known for great weapon skills.

as for everyone else yes there is a kit to retrofit glocks with a manual safety, this is not a lie, rather his department really did it i dont know.. but i can't say it's impossible either.. however i would think they would go with a different gun then modify one.

here is one such kit: http://www.cominolli.com
there maybe other kits out there but this is the best known.

I think most departments also carry chambered but again.. his may not.
carrying concealed i see no reason not to carry chambered; However open carry such as cops do they use level 2 or 3 security holsters and although i think most still carry chambered the point about a bad guy getting your gun is valid, most criminals are just gonna pull the trigger..

now if you get a smart one who's trained to always cycle the gun you're in deep DO-DO, its' not such a bad practice really since the worse thats gonna happen is you eject a live round.. most semis carry plenty not to worry about 1 lost round.

· Premium Member
879 Posts

Given the number of "accidental discharges" with Glock weapons, it not that surprising.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/upgrade-faq.html
http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/gindex2.html

G

·
The Israelis used to not carry anything in the chamber and they had a training drill they run through so they can practice bringing the gun bear fast. It worked for them for many years and their world is much hotter then mine. The main reason they did this was because they got many firearms from all over the world. There was no standard arm that they could get used to. So they carried everything the same way. This way the drill was the same for any pistol they came across.

I carried that way for most of my life, it is a mater of training. Practice practice practice. In the last few years I have switched to one in the chamber carry. This took a new way of thinking. I had to retrain myself. What ever way you carry practice practice practice

· Registered
945 Posts

If this is true I would leave that PD's employment ASAP! This carry mode for a L/E/O is just so retarded I just cant believe it. I have heard of but have never seen a Glock with a manual safety, most likely a urban myth but would have to see a picture of one to believe it.

1,782 Posts
I see! Finaly some glock owners realized there glocks were inferior to the SPRINGFIELD XD so they attemted to upgrade there pistols to the level of the XD.

However cheezy the upgrade may appear.

:) :p :O

· Registered
47 Posts
4095fanatic,
that is the exact safety I talk of.

For the rest of you non-believers, please be patient, I return to work tomorrow and will get some pics for you.

Just to clear things up, I am not a road patrol deputy, I work in inmate transport and carry on a daily basis. Anyway you look at it, it is ridiculous to add an additional safety to a gun that already has built in ones. Just my personal opinion.

· Banned
4,082 Posts
I do know of a company in New Hampshire that will install safeties on Glocks. I cannot remember the name of it but it appears it can be done.

When I go to work I carry con 1 and feel perfectly safe [and I use a Hi Point to boot].

G

·
Let me take up for Biggunz for a second, not that the officer needs my help.

I am in favor of safe carry in uniform. Take aways are a bigger problem for cops than guns owned by the bad guy statistically. Other than the thumb safety his dept is totally sound. Even the thumb safety has some merit from an officer survival standpoint, at least it is arguable due to data gathered on how long it takes the BG to fire an officer's gun after take away with and without a safety.

On cops and guns, they are bad but not the worst. Armed Security as a group is the worst. You will find SOs' like shooterz and myself that take carrying and training seriously. We are the minority. Training is the worst in most cases and many only shoot at quals. Qual standards are as low as 70% on the K5 scoring system in some places.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.