41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,963 Posts
Reactions: Rerun and histed

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
Half a .45 is .225...so maybe the .223 which is really a .224 could be called a .225?o_O
Yup - sounds like a math teacher answer.

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
36,700 Posts
I have a 45 Colt with a 45 Auto cylinder, so it's only half 45 Auto.
Or, according to the AFT, it's Fully 90 Colt Automatic....
Oh man....that would be more funny, if it weren't probably true.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,773 Posts
Out of curiosity, How would you compare it with the .44 mag? For a woods gun I usually carry my JHP. Used to be a .357, but it went down the road
10mm hot loads (BB, UNDERWOOD) barely overlap the least expensive 44mag low end stuff. Where the 10mm really shines is that it is pretty much a ballistics twin for most 357mag loads, and you get the big capacity (15+) with most handguns. Of course you know I still love the wheelies, got several in 357mag :love:
That's great meme material until you realize that 10mm loses a lot of its perceived advantages the moment you start shooting 45acp in the same weight class.

Ballistics By The Inch in 10mm
Ballistics By the Inch in 11mm

45acp easily pulls to within 100-200fps of 10mm at standard pressures and starts to match it at +P
(acknowledging that, yes, +P is a thing because the case wasn't originally spec'd for those loads)

In terms of rounds on target, even Paul Harrell acknowledges that there isn't much practical difference in the end. Some, not much.
I could dispell other myths like how 45acp is deflected by auto glass because it's slower. tl;dw - It isn't. At all.

If you need that extra round or two, more power to you, but it's not the difference in capacity you'll get from dropping to, say, 9mm. And I'll give you sectional density-- Chubby girls need love, too ^.^ I'm already starting to sound like a fanboy, but just wanted to dispell this myth that 10mm is a nuclear weapon. It's not, and most of those fanboys never bother comparing weight to weight.
I love both, but for affordable nuclear level ammo, ya gotta go 10mm. The best place for the 45acp is the subsonic loads and the extra-extra heavy. Otherwise you need a 460rowland and I got that covered too ;)

Reactions: Rerun

·
Super Moderator
25,929 Posts
If you need more than 10 mm…you should probably carry a rifle.
My line is, "If it takes more than 45 rounds of 10mm to solve the problem, you better hope I made it to the truck."

• Haha
Reactions: ajole

·
Administrator
29,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I'm offended that my joke thread, which started off so well, is slowly turning serious. I mean, this is still HPFF isn't it? This is going backwards! We're supposed to start off with a serious post and then give unserious, puerile, inane replies.

What's the world coming to?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,094 Posts
I've owned both calibers in the past - I currently own a JHP.

Of course if Hi-Point produces a 10mm handgun, then I will own both calibers again.

Rerun

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,773 Posts
I've owned both calibers in the past - I currently own a JHP.

Of course if Hi-Point produces a 10mm handgun, then I will own both calibers again.

Rerun
I've already freely given them the perfect name for a 10mm HP handgun...

JXP
X is roman numeral for 10.
X is also for XTRA (y)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've always described the 45 acp as a short fat case that shoots a dumb heavy fat bullet kinda slow that hits with authority cause it means business when it hits.

Never shot a 10mm so I can't say anything good or bad about it. I'd like to though. I have always thought that a 41 magnum in an automag would be kinda interesting though.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,773 Posts
I've always described the 45 acp as a short fat case that shoots a dumb heavy fat bullet kinda slow that hits with authority cause it means business when it hits.

Never shot a 10mm so I can't say anything good or bad about it. I'd like to though. I have always thought that a 41 magnum in an automag would be kinda interesting though.
10mm is quite a good shooter, in the right platform. A G20 is a good starting point, but the G20C was an answer seeking a question. The G20 beats the G20C handily, in my experience. I have owned both.

The comparison of 10mm and 41mag are misplaced. Very little overlap (or none) between these 2. Now take the 357mag & 10mm and you have TONS of comparisons. The 10mm seems to have the edge in the heavier bullets, but I've seen talk about 180gr 357mag referenced back to Elmer Keith. Above that, it's almost all 10mm.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts