Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has probably been asked before but why is we can't just upload pictures straight from our computers? This is the first website I have ever seen that does it this way. It'd be easier to do direct uploads. It is weird having to go to another site just to get pictures here. Thanks guys :)

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
you can. you use the attachment system to attach the pic to a post and it uploads it here. however photobucket etc are easier to use as they generate the needed code to insert the pic right into your post instead of adding below.

SW

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
Dunno if it applies to this site or not, but another reason a lot of boards don't allow or limit direct uploads of photos is storage space. Most boards are hosted on rented servers, and storage space costs money. Once you start storing hundreds or thousands of picture files on there the gigabytes start to add up. Board owners also pay for bandwidth, if they are simply linking to a Photobucket file to download into the post, Photobucket is the one paying for that bandwidth. If they host the photo file, they pay for the bandwidth.

·
Banned
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh OK thanks, I am just used to myspace and craigslist and other sites where I just open the file from my computer and it takes 2 seconds, which to me anyway was a lot easier than going to photobucket and then putting the image here.

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
Yeah and pictures eat bandwidth quickly. I hosted pictures on my personal website for a long time (higher resolution than PhotoBucket) but had to abandon it because I was hitting my bandwidth limit every month. Even a picture that is just a couple of hundred KB can eat lots of bandwidth when it's loaded by 100 different people.

·
Banned
5,286 Posts
you can use your myspace/facebook and just use their location and put it in here, so you don't have to upload photos to myspace AND photobucket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts