why would someone do this?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by lsi1, May 7, 2014.

1. lsi1

lsi1 Member

I've been working on a mossberg 500 for a while now slowly parting it into good condition after finding it had a cracked barrel. I put an add out looking for 500 parts. what i got was a 500 offered to me for $100. It was the ugliest shotgun i have ever seen. bright yellow/green with a knoxx stock(not recoil reducing) and blackhawk forend. The action was good but the safety did not work(again not a problem not my first 500

It came with an 18 inch security barrel which had a wierd muzzle contraption on the end. This ended up being a flashlight slid over a brass bushing which was soldered to the barrel. After removing this i found what it was hiding. a good ole bubba porting job that had been filled in with solder.

My question is will this barrel explode upon firing? I don't think it will and it fired fine when i test fired it before the initial breakdown of the shotgun but now the ports make me nervous.

I probably will replace the barrel but i don't want to throw any more money at this shotgun right now

Attached Files:

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

if in doubt, dont use it. it may work fine, this time, next time, every time, it might work fine this time, and next time take off your left hand. if you dont feel 110% safe using it, DONT.

3. lsi1

lsi1 Member

I called mossberg new barrel runs around $75 shipped and thats pretty cheap peace of mind. hate to keep adding $$$ to this gun was hoping to keep my budget low on this one but **** happens.

4. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Why would the barrel explode?
    It has no obstructions does it?

5. lsi1

lsi1 Member

i used explode instead of dplitting under preasure

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

6. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Why would it split?
    Why would it not work as any other ported barrel?
    I doubt the placement of the holes is very scientific but I don't see how this could be an issue.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  7. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

The pressure would be dropping like a rock by the time it reaches the muzzle. If he chamfered the edges of the holes I'd think it would be fine. But I'd get another barrel just to get rid of the ugly.

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That is just stupid...both boring the holes, and then filling them in.

But it shouldn't hurt the gun, or make it dangerous.

9. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

anytime a redneck gunsmith takes his 'skills' to a gun, be wary!! the barrels on these are easy to replace so leave the smithing to the pros and let the gun be what it was built to be. changing the barrel is the right idea.

10. lsi1

lsi1 Member

I know someone with a test firing setup so i may try it out but am definately gonna change out that particular creation. Although if it works i'll put it in the back of the closet with my field barrels just in case i ever need it.

11. I can't comment on the workmanship but I think it's cool, although I'd go with a different color.

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Can you just cut it down and put a new bead on it? Or would that make the barrel too short?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    He said it was an 18" barrel, so I assumed too short...:(

14. lsi1

lsi1 Member

would be too short and as much as i would love an sbs it won't be a 500 when and if i go collecting stamps.

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

You're right. My bad.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Sorry. In my haste, I apparently glossed over the 18" bbl. My bad.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

17. lsi1

lsi1 Member

didnt mean to double up ajole responded while i was thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I double up people all the time...:cool:

19. Rerun

Rerun Member

That's called a 'double-tap' in pistolese!

eldar

20. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Happens all the time. No big.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk