Why?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by mr_flintstone, Aug 18, 2015.

1. mr_flintstone

mr_flintstone Supporting Member

While researching .22 revolvers, I just noticed on the Taurus website that it offers a .380 revolver that it calls a "mini revolver". My question is why? There is no extra capacity. It's barrel is only a quarter inch less than a 38, and I'm not sure that .380 is going to perform that well out of a 1.75 inch barrel; plus, who wants to fool with the moon clips?

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

Why what?
    It only claims to be smaller, hence the "mini", and it is. Quarter is is still smaller.
    It doesnt claim to have more capacity. Just a smaller size.
    Up close a .380 is still gonna make someone reconsider, its not intended for long range.

3. histed

histed Supporting Member

Maybe someone who want a revolver to match their HP .380 auto? But even small .380s hold 6+1, so why give up 2 and some muzzle v to boot. I had a .45 ACP revolver many years ago - kinda liked the moon clips. I thought they were faster than speed loaders. Down side is that you gotta shoot ;em "dry" to reload. To each his (or her) own. Talon's right, it won't improve your health.

4. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

It's 6.7oz lighter than my Taurus 905 (9mm) revolver. I don't use the moon clips at the range.

5. colthrash

colthrash Member

i own one as a back up to my bersa plus (15+1) 380. pretty decent trigger, and still not to bad of recoil. a little snappy but in shtf I doubt I will notice. under 15 feet I likes my chances...

6. mr_flintstone

OK. Apparently 380 does a little better job of retaining energy out of short barrels than 38. I did a little calculating, and 95 grain 380 has slightly more energy out of a 2 inch barrel than 130 grain 38 special (although that varies with different brands). So 380 out of a slightly shorter barrel is roughly the same as 38 out of a 2 inch barrel (energy-wise). I guess if you want to avoid buying 2 different kinds of ammo it makes sense.

7. lsi1

lsi1 Member

its taurus throw crap at a wall and if it sticks even if it stinks market it to us americans someone somewhere is peeing in their pants with excitement over it.

when they put a curved grip on that 380 revolver that SOB is mine.

For new members and some old favorites this response is loaded full of sarcasm and should be treated as such.

8. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I can make you that grip for $500.00 :D

9. lsi1

lsi1 Member

that would be super.

10. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

The Taurus mini revolver is pretty nice in my opinion. Due to the way revolver barrels are measured vs a semi auto barrel, the mini revolver barrel is really about the same length as the TCP barrel. The barrel / cylinder gap really does not cost much in velocity loss. The mini revolver heads paces on the case mouth, so you don't need to use moon clips if you don't want too. Might have to poke the cases out of the cylinder if you don't though.

11. colthrash

colthrash Member

I never use the moon clips at the range, just pull the cases out with my fingers...

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    It's 15.5 oz empty, shoots ammo that's cheaper than .38, and probably still recoils less than most .38's.

Except Rippy's of course.:cool:

What's not to like?

13. Rerun

Rerun Member

Not?

Taurus had its beginnings in Brazil where the Citizens are not allowed to own Military cartridged firearms (ie - .38 Special, 9mm, .45 ACP, .30-06, 7.62 x 51mm).

The .380 ACP cartridge is not considered a 'Military' cartridge.

Many semi-automatics required quite a bit of strength to chamber the first round - hence the .380 ACP revolver.

eldar

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Because Taurus thinks enough people will buy it to justify the expense. ;)

That said, it might be that the U.S. is not their primary target market for this revolver. There are a number of Nations which restrict their populace from owning firearms chambered in a "military" cartridge. The .380ACP is popular in those Nations. Further, many of those nations also have a ammunition capacity maximum. I'm assuming that there are just as many, possibly more, wheelgun lovers in those Nations as there are in the U.S. [insert "revolver dependability" argument here].

Makes sense to me, in that context. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. mr_flintstone

You guys have convinced me. Out of comparable sized guns, the .380 will probably have less recoil than the .38, and since both have virtually the same kinetic energy, I can now see the virtues of the .380 snubby even if it isn't really smaller than the .38.