Wife just bought a bow

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by moona11, Oct 4, 2014.

1. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

She has always had an interest in shooting bow. One of my friends from Guana is a avid bow hunter. So we took her to Shields and got her all set up. She is a great pistol shoot so hopefully she will kick a**. This year she got 3rd in couples shoot and 3rd in overall team pistol at NDPOA. Missed it this year but hopefully next year I can watch her.

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Definitely cool.... Bows are definitely a good shtf/preparedness weapon.

3. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

I just recently got a 'new to me' bow. It's an older Jennings Acclaim that I can't seem to find any data on, but it is in like new condition. Right now my arms and shoulders are so sore from cutting and hand splitting firewood, that I can hardly draw it back. I also just got a 1/2 doz new Victory custom built carbon arrows from HuntersFriend.com. Lots of great information on that site!

Attached Files:

4. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

What type of bow did she get? Pics or it didn't happen. :D

5. moona11

Its a Mission something. Will take a pic in a while.

6. Hermitt

7. moona11

Ya the bow cost $299 alone. The dealer said it was a decent bow. I was looking at more expensive ones and he said that it will work great for her. I do not know anything about them.

8. Hermitt

9. Bull

And DO NOT shoot more than one broadhead at the same target...... Carbon arrows cut nicely.... ...... Trust me.

10. moona11

She had the arrows sized. I don't know if I'll ever get into it. Never really cared for a bow. Might try a cross bow though.

11. Bull

had a bow and liked it, but im with you....I'm getting some kinda crossbow if I get back into archery

12. Hermitt

Shooting a pointed stick from a rifle stock with a scope is not archery..... :rolleyes:

13. Bull

Well unless you're shooting a English longbow, or Tanto's buffalo sinew string bow, I'm callin shenanigans also!

14. VinnieD

VinnieD Member

I started archery last year, and it's been fun learning. At first I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, but after making some adjustments, and plenty of practice, I'm not half bad now. There's a lot of strength training involved since you use muscles you're not used to using to draw a bow. I just got a cheap old Bear Whitetail Hunter myself, but it works for what I need. I'm thinking of getting a recurve and trying traditional archery next.

15. moona11

I will have to see if the wife sticks with it.

16. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

I have been wanting a bow for a long time but don't want to pay a lot for it. I want something easy to shoot (I was pretty good in High School - ALWAYS signed up for archery) but because I'm likely only to use it in a SHTF situation need something inexpensive. Maybe as my boy ages we can make it a together activity when he gets old enough.

17. Hermitt

Lots of good bows around here on craigslist as many archery hunters buy the latest and greatest and have to sell their last years models.

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    My head coach bought a crossbow for his dad, due to arthritis, he gets to shoot crossbow in archery hunts, or something like that.

Anyway, it has a red dot, so he asked me to come help sight it in.

Here's my assessment. The thing is HEAVY! It has sling studs, I'd use them.
    It's hard to keep up on target long, as it's front HEAVY!

It cocks using a pulley and cord system. Efficient, but not fast.

But the best thing...it's accurate, easy to shoot well.

When you cock it, there's two safeties. One is defeated by placing a bolt into the channel and sliding it back against the string.

The other is a safety you flip off to pull the trigger. You can't do that without placing the bolt in first, so no dry firing by accident.

The red dot is a 3 dot unit, 20, 40 and 60 yard sights. We were hitting 60 yard shots at will. Pushed to about 320 fps, they'll do the job on deer and such.

I'm not sure it would be a great stalking hunt tool, but in a blind it would be great.

19. Bull

That'd be my main use for it.... MO isn't a huge stalk and shoot deer state.... Lots of woods and corn fields.

20. Hermitt

In Idaho, you can't use a crossbow during "Archery Only" season (unless you have a disability exception), but you can use them in the regular "Any Weapon" season.