Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, time for a hypothetical. My wife is about to take a 14-hour drive to visit a relative for a week, by herself. She's VERY small. The only guns she's shot are .22s, but she has a Rough Rider that can shoot 22 mag and while I would frankly prefer her to have it on the seat next to her, loaded, for the whole drive, that's just not possible (legally) because she will have to drive through some anti-gun places and certainly none of the places she will go through are OC-friendly, esp in a car with no CHL.

So, purely hypothetically, and without recommending any law-breaking, what would you do for YOUR wife/girlfriend/mother/daughter in this situation? Given my wife's physical build, I believe she'd be SOL without a gun, taser or spray of some kind in a fight of any kind.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Tasers are not legal in all states to be privately owned or used, read up on laws. Strong mace or pepper spray will be your best bet. Maybe have her carry a pocket knife in her purse. A blunt object within reach,...those wooden tire checkers are like billy clubs.

·
Si vis pacem para bellum
548 Posts
Wasp and hornet spray. Blasts 20+ feet and the chump would need to go ER and have his eyes flushed out.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wasp and hornet spray. Blasts 20+ feet and the chump would need to go ER and have his eyes flushed out.
That's a pretty interesting suggestion... I'm looking into it, but reports are mixed about effectiveness, and some people have pointed out that one could catch more legal flack for using wasp spray... stupid laws, but they have a point even if it makes no sense.

I don't want to break the law, but I know that if something did happen to my wife (God forbid), I'd not only be devastated, I'd probably take matters into my own hands. I'd be more comfortable knowing she had some way of protecting herself, even though I know she probably won't need it.

To those who suggested a blunt object or pocket knife, unfortunately I really don't think she's strong enough to use those against the average male. She really is a tiny thing. I did consider a folding baton sort of thing, but I believe there are legal issues with those as well, as well as the possibility of them being wrestled away and used against her.

The annoying thing is, she would have no problem taking a gun with her and I feel confident that she could handle the RR just fine if it was necessary - but the states don't want her to be protected.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Something about judged by 12 rather than carried by 6 comes to mind here.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Well lets just say hypothetically if I can't be there to protect my wife I'd want her to have something that could. I believe that chance taken is much preferable to the alternative.

·
Banned
5,315 Posts
I use Contact Brake Cleaner instead of Carb cleaner.. works alot better. (slightly off topic)

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Pepper Spray and a Louisville Slugger. The old I'm heading for a softball tourney excuse if questioned.

Ron M.

·
Registered
773 Posts
One of those big cans of Bear Defense pepper spray (http://www.sabrered.com/servlet/the-template/AnimalAttackDeterrentsBearPepperSpray/Page) from the local sporting goods/gun shop along with a softball bat. Also carry a softball glove and softball in the trunk or back seat. That way, she's going to be playing softball at the relatives house.

Otherwise, a Taurus 605 in .357 Mag loaded with .38 Spl +P in a holster on the console between the seats. In plain view, it's not concealed nor is it on her person. As long as the vehicle is mechanically sound, all the lights work etc., and she is keeping up with the flow of the traffic around her, the LEOs should just ignore her as another motorist.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I definitely would go on line and see exactly wat laws are for Wat states . if its a 14 hr trip it could be in 1 state or 2 . if it was me im gonna search wat them laws are and try to get her a gun.
if no way possible then i would suggest getting her a cpl or cwp for the next trip . EVERYONE that is eligIble should get their concealed permits. its our right everywhere(almost) so use it. then next time you get that gun in her hands like she should have now . gl with her trip and hope all stays safe.

·
Registered
43 Posts
if carrying a weapon isnt legally possible dont.
pepper spray isnt legal in all states, tasers also aren't legal everywhere so check first.
some of these other suggestions will get you locked up for aggraveted assault, even though the were used "defensivley"

Well lets just say hypothetically if I can't be there to protect my wife I'd want her to have something that could. I believe that chance taken is much preferable to the alternative.
you could visit her in jail, pay the legal fees, fun. ok now for the its better than visiting her in the morgue, c'mon say it. i'm sure someone will....
how would you explain to the judge why she was knowingly illegaly carrying a weapon when she "defended" herself. its not goin to fly..

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
how would you explain to the judge why she was knowingly illegaly carrying a weapon when she "defended" herself. its not goin to fly..
Yeah, live wife > dead wife.

Anyway the trip was across 6 different states all with different and conflicting laws, so she didn't take anything and she was fine.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
if carrying a weapon isnt legally possible dont.
pepper spray isnt legal in all states, tasers also aren't legal everywhere so check first.
some of these other suggestions will get you locked up for aggraveted assault, even though the were used "defensivley"

you could visit her in jail, pay the legal fees, fun. ok now for the its better than visiting her in the morgue, c'mon say it. i'm sure someone will....
Whatever dude the jail is as hypothetical as my answer, no biggie. Everyone does what they do because it's their life. Let's say hypothetically the little woman was attacked by a 2 time loser and defended herself, hypothetically she may get a very sympathetic jury, and yeah given the choice if it came down to a hypothetical life and death deal I would rather take hypothetical flowers to my wife on prison visit day then take them to her hypothetical grave.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts