Wifes recent 995TS target

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Reviews & Range Reports' started by OldOutlaw, Jul 10, 2015.

1. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Wife has her Carbine pretty well Mastered I think. This is a standing, unsupported shooting!
    Range was on the 50 yard lane at the Range. Ammo was 124gr FMJ made in the Ukraine. It has a noticeable Pop to that stuff!
    Pretty darned good for a near 65 year old shooting the first long gun she ever owned. She had just finished 6 days of Chemo and still shot several plates like this. When she gets to feeling like it, she will try for the 100 yard just for the fun of it.
    I gotta tune my 995TS up on the sights a bit to catch up with her. :)

[​IMG]

2. histed

histed Supporting Member

Remind me to never pi$$ off your wife! Nice shooting for any age, but especially this soon after chemo. Open sights? I have a hard time seeing the plate at 50 yards - without glasses.

3. OldOutlaw

Both of our 995TS have just the standard peep sight on them. But we have learned to get the better grouping will primarily depend on the brand of ammo we shoot. We gave up on the real cheap stuff like WWB and some others. Bought a few boxes of a number of different brands over the past year +. Found three brands that both of these Carbines like equally!
    So since we also have a number of 9mm pistols, I bought a few cases of each of these.
    In particular the Ukrainian 124gr before it was gone possibly forever. In order.
    1. Ukrainian 124gr FMJ steel case.
    2. Prvi Partizan 115 FMJ Brass
    3. Sellier & Bellot 115 FMJ Brass, with sealed bullet and primer version.

I do want to one of these days test out the Winchester 9mm Nato 124gr which is supposedly a +P.

Just to blow away a bit of ammo for just plinking at times, we use a Barnaul made round. Any of the Bears or Wolf. I just won't even touch any Tula for any of my different weapons.

At home, we load every thing with Hornady 115 Critical Defense and the Hornady 135gr Critical Duty Flex tip.

4. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Tell her nice shooting from me and Evil.

5. OldOutlaw

I will for certain tell her! Weather permitting next week, we both will try 100 yards just so we can say we tried it. :)

6. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Pretty fine shooting!

7. OldOutlaw

Thanks Bull. I think so too. I may let her try one of the heavy barrel Swedish CG63 target rifles next week weather permitting. I'll let her shoot it from my front rifle rest. I think the diopter sight will work for her just like the carbine. :)

8. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Your wife did a damn fine job on that target. I love taking my own wife to the range and seeing her out shoot most of the men there.

9. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I bet she loves it.... Recoil is pretty mild?

10. OldOutlaw

Really mild with the 6.5x55. But even less with this heavier platform.

11. histed

histed Supporting Member

I've read that these carbines do amazingly well at longer ranges than most would believe. No personal experience here, though. At that distance I'd want some kind of optic - probably at least a 6X scope. If you get there - PICTURES PLEASE???

12. OldOutlaw

We use these for a Home Defense purpose as well as just fun. So, no scopes or optics. If needed in the house, it will just be point and shoot as it is. Especially in the dark.

13. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Laser you need a laser

14. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

75 yards with a 4x on a 4095 to get you started?

[​IMG]

15. OldOutlaw

Possibly on one of the two. Just not sure if mounted to the plastic rail if it will hold zero. I do have an abundance of scopes and rings to choose from though.

16. Rachgier

Mount your rings/optics directly over where the rail screws to the cover. It will hold, mine did. I just didn't see the point of a scope on a PCC after I was satisfied it will do what I need it to do at 75 yards.

17. OldOutlaw

That is why so far I have not done anything yet. These more than do what I need at 50.
    50 yards is more than I need for it. I have all kinds of long range rifles to play with when I wish.
    200 yards is the minimum I shoot with these. I just wish we had a 600 meter range to shoot my Swedes at.

18. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    "tweaked" it for ya ;)

19. Rachgier

Yeah, the longest I can get around here is 300 yards. Not like I'll be making many 300 yard shots around here, but once I get out to CO, there will definitely be a requirement to either find a longer range, or buy the land to make one.

20. PapaMAS

PapaMAS PapaMAS Member

Glad to hear the Prvi Partisan and S&B worked out well. I haven't used them in my 995TS but they shoot very well through my handguns. And, actually, the Winchester NATO round is one of the 2 rounds which shoots the best in my carbine. I don't think it's technically +P because it is based on a different standard, but practically speaking, they're pretty much the same.

Oh, and your wife did very well!