·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Damn.

Up here in arkansas and OK, Ive yet to see any around here myself but I gas rigger on my property said he saw a couple. Think a 30-30 would drop one pretty well?

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
I've heard a lot of stories about beastly hogs around here. Mean buggers as well. I figure a .30-30 would drop one if you shot it in the head, a chest area shot would probably kill it but not fast enough for me lol. I figure a good 12g slug to the head is the best way to go :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just pop it off with a Mosin for all the naysayers, then invite us for the pig roast!

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Feral hogs were once domesticated and either turned loose when feed prices got high and hog prices were low, or just escaped from feeding pens or pastures. Pigs are very prolific with three litters of 9-15 piglets each litter per year. It doesn't take many years for large herds of pigs to come from just a few. Now these pigs have somehow bread with Wild boars. Mean, nasty LARGE fast multiplying machines of destruction. Crops, lawns and garbage. They well eat almost anything.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Most any deer hunting load will drop a pig. I've shot a bunch on friends farms and ranches here in Texas. I use a 7mm Mauser or 308 mostly. The biggest thing is to shoot them when they have no idea your around, usually the pig will drop within a few yards of where you shot it. While you do see some huge pigs most I've seen are under 200 pounds. My son uses a 7-08 or a 25-06 and has never had one run more than about 75 yards. I made a bad shot on one and had to shoot it 3 more times to anchor it, that pig traveled at least 1/2 a mile. In my 7mm I use a hand load with a 140gr Barnes X and in the 308 I use a 165 or 180gr bullet.

Ron M.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
that is something I have always wanted to do but you don't here much of them in ohio

·
Banned
401 Posts
I have hunted them and taken them with a bow, but any deer rifle will take them down usually with not much of a problem, of course as with any game a bad shot, could make for a bad day!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Our company has a large deer lease in south Texas and every year we have a 'heli-harvest' to control the pigs. Helicopter ~ spotter, shooter and of course the pilot. On the ground are teams. The spotter tells the teams the GPS points of the downed pigs who pick them up. They are then taken to a processor and the meat (except maybe the backstraps :blink:) are then donated. I think this year, actually 2008, we donated 210 pigs.

They are a hard kill so the ground teams all carry, and use frequently, high caliber side arms.

WR2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts