1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
820 Posts
I have just one word for the Kali wildfires:

SW
A big "whatev" to that.

· Registered
820 Posts
I think he was saying that since they're communists, they are getting theirs... I could be wrong though. There's also the fact that the tree huggers have, for so long, been all up in arms, and not allowed any of the wooded areas to be thinned, or allowed them to burn when they could safely do so. Now it's just a tinderbox waiting to go up. Karma? No. But it is a result of bad decisions over an extended period of time.

We always joke about Kalifornia needing to drift off into the ocean, but I wouldn't ever wish someone to lose their homes... This is no laughing matter.
I think many places should look to the Menomonee Indians of Wisconsin for a great way to run a logging industry. They work their way from West to East, cutting down only the oldest trees in their forest, and leaving the younger ones. Once the reach the end of their reservation, they go back to the western side, and start all over again. By this time, the younger trees have grown older, and there are new younger trees where the old ones once were. They have one of the greenest forests in the world. In fact, you can see the reservation from space. An astronaut said it looked like a "green jewel."

Seems to be a great way to not only generate resources and revenue, but also keep the forest healthy and intact. Not sure if the same would work in Cali, but it still might be something they might want to look into. Now if only I could get somebody there to listen to me :wink:

EDIT: Sorry for the thread hijack. I tend to have an idea jump into my head and need to get it out ASAP, and usually in the process lose track of where it was I was saying it. Anyway, my heart goes out to those people in SD. I hope the weather changes soon so that this fire can finally be brought under control.

· Registered
820 Posts
Apprently alot of people dont understand what karma is. Kali's poor forest mangement is coming back to haunt them. For 30 years the tree huggers have prevented any kind of thinning of forest growth including the low brush and small short term growth that makes wildfires like these possible. You dont see large scale fires like this in states like oregon and washington where sensible forest management has allowed fires to be controlled and limited in size.

SW
As a "tree hugger" I would say I have a hard time believing that people were actually fighting against the underbrush being cleared in the forests. Then again, I don't live in Cali, so maybe they have a very different breed of "tree hugger" there :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.