Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
USA MADE RIFLES. RUGER REVOLVERS. EURO PISTOLS.
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's what I'd like to know. I stress SAFELY? Or is it a case of YES, but don't do it! Is it a case of more wear on parts, the cartridge not seating EXACTLY as it should and blowback or just a case of "don't be stupid, stupid. NEVER fire the wrong CALIBER in any GUN what so ever? I'm a 40s&w guy. For the same $$$ as a 4095TS I can have 1095TS, What would you do? Especially if 40s&w is ok to use for fun and 10mm is for the NEW super zombies when they come. If WEAR is the issue I'll let HI-POINT deal with it. If round does not seat EXACTLY and/or blowback I'll think about it. If not SAFE well that's that. Please give me a reasoned reply. Yes/No is a great answer but give me some details please. And if you don't know just say so. I do it all the time. Thanx for reading it all folks. I'm BRAND SPANKING NEW around here and can't wait to hear from at least say, three of you. LATE

·
Super Moderator
5,283 Posts
I'm guessing here, but I'm guessing no for these reasons. The 40 is sometimes called the 10mm short. Since pistol round usually headspace on the case mouth AND the .40 is shorter, I'm thinking the .40 will seat too deep to fire reliably. Second, the 10 will have stronger recoil springs. Again, .40 may not have the recoil energy to work the slide reliably.My guesses are based on shooting many rounds of both .22 LR and,22 Long in the same guns. The long works fine in revolvers, bolt, pumps... but have the problems I listed above in semi rifles or pistols. So, .40 in a 10 SHOULDN'T be dangerous, but it'll likely be a PITA

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,999 Posts
I'm guessing here, but I'm guessing no for these reasons. The 40 is sometimes called the 10mm short. Since pistol round usually headspace on the case mouth AND the .40 is shorter, I'm thinking the .40 will seat too deep to fire reliably. Second, the 10 will have stronger recoil springs. Again, .40 may not have the recoil energy to work the slide reliably.My guesses are based on shooting many rounds of both .22 LR and,22 Long in the same guns. The long works fine in revolvers, bolt, pumps... but have the problems I listed above in semi rifles or pistols. So, .40 in a 10 SHOULDN'T be dangerous, but it'll likely be a PITA
Good reasoning but it does work in most handguns... and should not be dangerous to try. Most if not all manufacturers don't recommend it.

The only exception I know is Rowland. 460rowland says you can fire 45acp and 45super in their barrels. Which has a .060" deeper chamber.

It's because the cases are held by the extractor.

The only thing I'd say is ream the chamber on occasion if you shoot a lot of 40 in there. This is achieved simply, just make a 10mm case into a reamer by cutting a notch or 2 in the mouth. Then spin it around in the chamber by installing a small metal screw (preferably hex head) in the primer pocket. Reaper taught me this ;)

WELCOME, OP!

·
Super Moderator
5,283 Posts
@undeRGRound - I did that with my .357 after shooting a lot of 38 Special. Works very well

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,999 Posts
...If round does not seat EXACTLY and/or blowback I'll think about it...
The only caution Here is that some think maybe the 1095's chamber is slightly oversized (not verified, just a rumor) so the extractor claw might not hold the shorty-forty perfectly parallel... you can check this yourself with a 40 case, IMO.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
20,330 Posts
The only caution Here is that some think maybe the 1095's chamber is slightly oversized (not verified, just a rumor) so the extractor claw might not hold the shorty-forty perfectly parallel... you can check this yourself with a 40 case, IMO.
For the occasional range trip it would be okay
But I wouldn't do it with a real life situation. The extractor holding it is not an ideal situation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts