Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago, someone owed me some money and was broke, so he gave me a case of 9X18 ammunition instead. It's the cheap chinese crap. Before someone says it, I was never going to get my money out of the loser anyway... Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
247 Posts
No, but you could use it as an excuse to pick up a Makarov.

·
Gun Fanatic
830 Posts
It would probably shoot it but expect alot of FTF and FTE.

I would not recommend it.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I wouldnt even try.
Right now, you could probably sell that case of ammo at a gun show for a pretty good price.
Ammo is skyrocketing. All calibers.
I'd sell the stuff if I were you.
Or like it was said above, get a makarov. good little guns.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
heck a case of the stuff I would get a pa63 to go with it, there reasonable under $200 and pretty accurate

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
I wouldn't even try shooting it out of a 995. If it chambered, it probably wouldn't get struck by the firing pin, but even if it did I wouldn't want to try it. There's a bit of difference in the diameter of the 9x19mm and the 9x18mm. Generally, it's a bad idea to shoot anything out of your weapon except what it's labeled for. Since you've already got the ammo, go get a PA-63. I love mine!

EDIT: for clarity.

·
514 Posts
Just for clarity (since no one has actually said it yet) 9 x 18mm IS NOT the same as the 9mm Luger (9 x 19mm) ammo intended for the 995. Nor is it the same as 9 x 17mm ammo (.380 ACP). Long story short, shoot the right ammo out of the right weapon.

However, as was already stated, 9 x 18mm can be pretty spendy so you may make your money back if you sell it!

cheers,
Kyu

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
9X18 bullet =~ .363 inch
9X18
Most others =~ .355 inch

bad, bad idea...

List the ammo for sale. The last Norinco I saw for sale was retailed at $10 / box.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I definitely would not attempt it. The 9x18 rounds won't headspace right in a rifle designed for 9x19. The presence of too much headspacing would cause gas pressure problems which could truly wreak havoc in a blowback operated firearm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A few years ago, someone owed me some money and was broke, so he gave me a case of 9X18 ammunition instead. It's the cheap chinese crap. Before someone says it, I was never going to get my money out of the loser anyway... Thanks in advance for any replies.
Absolutely DO NOT try to chamber 9X18 Makarov rounds in a weapon chamber for 9x19mm Parabellum/Luger!!
9 mm Parabellum is 9.017 mm .355" in diameter
9X18 Makarov is not 9mm or.355" in diameter, it is larger. Large enough to destroy your hi-point, or any other 9mm Parabellum weapon, if you can actually get it to chamber and fire.

The 9X18 Makarov round measures 9.22 mm or .363" in diameter

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
If you decide you want to sell the ammo, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!

It's a better alternative then "testing" HP's Lifetime warranty!!

·
Registered
708 Posts
It's a better alternative then "testing" HP's Lifetime warranty!!
Amen to that.

·
Registered
92 Posts
there is a video on you tube of a guy shooting a 9x19 out of a 9x18 pistol the problem i saw was it wouldn't battery fully.

not sure i would do this myself but it can be done apparently.

Terry

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys. I was at a gun shop today and looked at a Makarov. I low balled the guy and passed, but he told me to come back. We'll see.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
there is a video on you tube of a guy shooting a 9x19 out of a 9x18 pistol the problem i saw was it wouldn't battery fully.

not sure i would do this myself but it can be done apparently.

Terry
Sticking your junk in a toaster to dry it off, but that does not make it a good idea.

G

·
If you are interested in selling the case of ammo, please let me know. Those Norinco 9x18 rounds work great in my PA-63.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts