Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, .Im passing along my Personal Exp. . Iberta Ohio, Made/ Makes 40 cal HP Pistols. Ive a Old One,. My 1st HP.
JC40cal. Pawn Shop Bought Here in Alabama 2 weeks ago. Pistol an myself Oked by ATF.

So Iberta Says when I talked to them To Get Her to them for Service . Im to pay Shipping.
No worries on that.
However "He said" The HP Guy on phone, Id have to ship thru my FFL Guy. ???
So that would be $30.00 minimum for FFL fees.

Im planning to call HP, At another Location next week.
I do know different physical Factories make different arms.

So Is this a trend for HP across all their firearms? Something new.
Just saying The Guy was older an very knowledgable about my jc40. He seemed confident.
Re FFL thing.
Change may be on the way???,

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
I sent a few of mine back in past years. No outbound FFL requirement at that time. If it sent via FFL doesn't it have to come back via FFL too?

FYI, gun shipping laws allow direct ship to mfgr for repairs. Of course the mfgr can layer on their own rules.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would call Hi-Point and ask about this one. The need to get an FFL involved is usually to deal with the paperwork for the various checks and processes needed for transferring ownership of a firearm, not one that someone already owns. I have no idea of what an FFL would do differently than anyone else on this since I don't know of any form that exists and needs to be filled out and filed for just shipping one.

That being said, there may be some new rule that some government agency decided to make up that I don't know about. I know some of the online sources I use for ammo and reloading supplies have now gone to having to sign for packages for all ammo/reloading related shipments because some areas they ship to have local laws that now require it, and it's easier for them to just do it for everyone than to maintain a database of the scattered zip codes that require it and make changes to the shipping logic of their ordering process.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,402 Posts
I would call Hi-Point and ask about this one. The need to get an FFL involved is usually to deal with the paperwork for the various checks and processes needed for transferring ownership of a firearm, not one that someone already owns. I have no idea of what an FFL would do differently than anyone else on this since I don't know of any form that exists and needs to be filled out and filed for just shipping one.

That being said, there may be some new rule that some government agency decided to make up that I don't know about. I know some of the online sources I use for ammo and reloading supplies have now gone to having to sign for packages for all ammo/reloading related shipments because some areas they ship to have local laws that now require it, and it's easier for them to just do it for everyone than to maintain a database of the scattered zip codes that require it and make changes to the shipping logic of their ordering process.
Usually its cheaper to have your lgs send it in then you doing it. But if they add an additional fee your better off doing it yourself.

As for new laws depends on it you live in a nanny state that enacted some stupid law that doesn't effect federal law. The regular states that do it are well known.
Most companies I deal with have you sigh for powder, primers, etc.. hazmat.. bullets and gun parts depends on the method I choose for shipping. I normally do have it because I either sleeping during the day, or no ones home. They put my packages on the porch or entryway if I leave a note or its a regular delivery guy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Tus,
Yes I agree,. The Ibertia Ohio Phone Answer Person/ Teckie, was very nice, helpful regarding what parts he had an didnt have anymore for the Old JC40, . I really Didnt press the FFL Issue, I did let him know it was a pawnshop purchase, ran past the ATF,, . ILL look into it next week at another location an see if they can have a yea or na . It is what it is I suppose, . Whatever the Liberals can do to hazzle Legit Guntoters, theyll do. Wouldnt suprise me the Gov. Is hazzling manufacturers into overkill, at any rate. Tks for insight

·
Premium Member
36,969 Posts
Holy crap. It’s IBERIA. THERE’S NO “T” in IBERIA.

The ATF has no reason to get involved with this, as long as you follow state and federal laws. And no…pawnshop buys don’t go through the ATF…they go through NICS or some other state database. And no, the ATF didn’t OK your gun.

Quit bringing the ATF up, they have nothing to do with this beyond writing the regs, and enforcing them if broken, you may as well be referring to the IRS.

My state allows me to send it to the factory, and I believe they can send it directly back to me. Again, the ATF is useless, they will be incapable of telling you what your state allows, just check your state laws.

The one caveat here is, if Ohio changed a law. I don’t believe they did. It makes zero sense for a state to require factories to only receive guns from an FFL.

·
Premium Member
26,438 Posts
Holy crap. It’s IBERIA. THERE’S NO “T” in IBERIA.

The ATF has no reason to get involved with this, as long as you follow state and federal laws. And no…pawnshop buys don’t go through the ATF…they go through NICS or some other state database. And no, the ATF didn’t OK your gun.

Quit bringing the ATF up, they have nothing to do with this beyond writing the regs, and enforcing them if broken, you may as well be referring to the IRS.

My state allows me to send it to the factory, and I believe they can send it directly back to me. Again, the ATF is useless, they will be incapable of telling you what your state allows, just check your state laws.

The one caveat here is, if Ohio changed a law. I don’t believe they did. It makes zero sense for a state to require factories to only receive guns from an FFL.
That's what finally got you? Not the fact that he's started out all 31 of his posts telling us he bought an old JH from a pawn shop and how many days it's been since he bought it?

·
Premium Member
36,969 Posts
That's what finally got you? Not the fact that he's started out all 31 of his posts telling us he bought an old JH from a pawn shop and how many days it's been since he bought it?
Hey, it was late, and I was grumpy.😡

·
Registered
19 Posts
A couple of years ago I sent a pistol to an FFL in AZ as part of a trade. The post office said they couldn't send ship firearms from individuals, only FFL's. Had to Fed Ex it for $80. When I picked up the pistol I traded for at my FFL he said he'd have shipped it for me for $25, his cost through the USPS.

Plus, and as mentioned state laws vary, if I send a pistol back to the manufacturer through my FFL, they return it to him and there's no need for NCIS checks because it's not being transferred to someone else.

NOTE: You need to check with your FFL. Two weeks ago my FFL said the Feds are really cracking down on FFL's. No increase in the # of audits/inspections they're doing but since Biden took office but the # of FFL's losing their license has increased 500%. They're looking for any little infraction as an excuse to pull the license.

·
Premium Member
26,438 Posts
It's not a matter of laws. UPS has effectively declared as of August of 2022 that they'll only accept firearms for shipment from valid FFL's with pre-existing contracts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts