Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I been asking alot of question guys but I am somewhat a noob to Hi Points but I do love my gun... But I had a question about my gun, you know how after the last round the gun cocks back and lock or how if you cock the gun back with a empty round it will lock... Well is it ok to let the gun sit that way for periods of time ? I have a better time having my bullets feed when placing the mag in when it is cocked back so for in the home is it ok to leave the gun cocked back that way if anything ever happened in my house( a BG) I can load the mag in and sling the slide back and wallaahhh...

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
When I store my guns away for long periods, I usually empty them and release the firing pins. When I have the guns ready for action, I usually have a round chambered, cocked, and safety on. I don't think it matters, but I just think it's best not to keep the spring under tension when stored away.

·
Registered
816 Posts
*Always* locked back like that will probably decrease the life span of the spring. Leaving it locked back *some* will probably just work the spring in and make the action smoother, like how people leave rounds in a new magazine for a couple weeks to work them in. Makes the spring spongier and easier to work with.... just my 2 cents because I'm a noob too. :) Dude, don't worry about asking too many questions, that's why we're here. If folks don't want to answer them, they don't have to, but I sure appreciate all the help folks here have offered!

·
Premium Member
3,957 Posts
It's a yes and no situation. I do not store firearms cocked for any period of time. Short term should be no problem for guns or mags. Long term will weaken the spring on both. What is the definition of short term vs long term? Your opinion is as good as anyone else's. I have extra mags for all my mag fed firearms and rotate them loaded/unloaded about every 3 months or so. But that is just my preference.

Reactions: Rerun

·
907 Posts
has anyone ever had a problem with a hp mag after leaving it fully loaded pretty much all the time. except when your at the range emptying it:D. i dont have enough mags to switch off which ones i keep loaded so mine are ALWAYS loaded. Is this a bad idea?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Don't worry - be happy! (now that song is in my head!)

I don't honestly know if keeping a spring compressed will harm anything at all. I read a post ahwhile back written by a mechanical engineer who claimed that spring compression and expansion from normal use will wear out a spring faster than keeping it compressed. I say just go with what you're comfortable with. If the manual doesn't specifically state otherwise - you're good to go! ;)

·
Registered
263 Posts
I don't think there's going to be a definitive answer one way or another, but rather mostly personal opinions/preferences. I don't see the point in storing a firearm locked and loaded, but if it's a nightstand gun or something that's a different story. The only gun I keep loaded and ready all the time is my carry/nightstand gun...the rest are empty and locked away. However, the way I see it, even if keeping a gun loaded and cocked all the time shortens the spring life, the springs are cheap and easy enough to replace that I don't really care.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think there's going to be a definitive answer one way or another, but rather mostly personal opinions/preferences. I don't see the point in storing a firearm locked and loaded, but if it's a nightstand gun or something that's a different story. The only gun I keep loaded and ready all the time is my carry/nightstand gun...the rest are empty and locked away. However, the way I see it, even if keeping a gun loaded and cocked all the time shortens the spring life, the springs are cheap and easy enough to replace that I don't really care.
Ur AVATAR is how I like to leave my gun except with the mag inside of course but loaded then all i have to do is release the safety switch then walah its ready

·
Registered
5 Posts
Spring will weaken as time goes on if cocked all the time. I put the gun un-cocked at night going to sleep to let the spring rests. When carry in the day, it will be always cock loaded.

Also rotate the mag spring by empty the bullets at night to let 1 mag rest and the other loaded in the gun. This will prolong the life of the spring 50%.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
And still not willing to listen to the engineers or experts.:rolleyes:
Who have opinions found where?:confused:
I have read about this in a couple of places over the years, but I don't recall (old age creeping up on me maybe?) seeing anything by a metallurgist or other good authority. So I am not sure what's considered "willing to listen", 'cuz I sure am.

·
Administrator
29,772 Posts
Who have opinions found where?:confused:
I have read about this in a couple of places over the years, but I don't recall (old age creeping up on me maybe?) seeing anything by a metallurgist or other good authority. So I am not sure what's considered "willing to listen", 'cuz I sure am.
I spoke to a couple of Engineers. I've also seen real world tests.

Leaving modern springs compressed within the design ranges, will not cause degradation of the spring.

Check out the 11th post for another engineer saying the same thing:
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=996111

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: ichthyo and 345Sire

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
Spring will weaken as time goes on if cocked all the time. I put the gun un-cocked at night going to sleep to let the spring rests. When carry in the day, it will be always cock loaded.

Also rotate the mag spring by empty the bullets at night to let 1 mag rest and the other loaded in the gun. This will prolong the life of the spring 50%.
Wow a actual number on how much spring life is increased. Got any empirical data to back that up.

The reality is if you are loading and unloading the tension on your springs that often, you are the one degrading your springs faster.

(And yes, I am an engineer.... wrong kind though and retired besides.)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
When I am done shooting, cleaning, adjusting, etc. a gun, the spring stays the way it is for a good reason: Once at the range, I had finished shooting a Mosin Nagant. Ejecting the last shell cocks the bolt, so after visiually checking that the gun was empty, I pointed it at the ground and pulled the trigger to uncock the spring. The gun fired a round that I somehow missed. That was the second time that happened as a year earlier the same thing happened with a 22LR rifle. Pretty creepy and pretty stupid but it freaked me out both times. It aint happening again.

·
Premium Member
37,299 Posts
When I am done shooting, cleaning, adjusting, etc. a gun, the spring stays the way it is for a good reason: Once at the range, I had finished shooting a Mosin Nagant. Ejecting the last shell cocks the bolt, so after visiually checking that the gun was empty, I pointed it at the ground and pulled the trigger to uncock the spring. The gun fired a round that I somehow missed. That was the second time that happened as a year earlier the same thing happened with a 22LR rifle. Pretty creepy and pretty stupid but it freaked me out both times. It aint happening again.
Another way to "drop the hammer" so to speak, on most bolt guns...hold the trigger as you close the bolt, it either doesn't catch and cock the gun, or it allows the firing pin to slide forward with less energy.

But that may not be the best answer for clearing the round you missed.

My SIL blew out his rear window and put a hole in the windshield that way. 22 pistol went click, he racked it, THEN dropped the mag, turned back to his tailgate to reload, and pulled the trigger...boy did he hear about that one for a while.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I spoke to a couple of Engineers. I've also seen real world tests.

Leaving modern springs compressed within the design ranges, will not cause degradation of the spring.

Check out the 11th post for another engineer saying the same thing:
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=996111

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I'm convinced. Confused just a little, but convinced. Some of the properties mentioned in that group extend well beyond my comprehension.
Boy, I'm glad residential remodeling engineering tends to be just a bit less complicated. At least in that field I don't feel like such a schlub. :)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.