Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 350 Legend is a recent newcomer from Winchester intended for the straight wall hunting states. I have talked at length about the cartridge. It has numerous flaws, Winchester could have done much better in my humble opinion, but i drank the coolaid, built a MSR so chambered, and despite the cartridges shortcomings, I like it.

The cartridge has become a hit, chambered not only in the MSR platform, but in numerous bolt action and single shot rifles.

But not in my state, nor i would wager in other non restricted states.

Just curious on the impact this will have on 350 LGND sales. I bet in Iowa the 358 Winchester and 35 Remington will outsell it.

·
Premium Member
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isn't @OldOutlaw from there with his own 350 legend?
He is. I sent him a PM, then thought it would make for good general discussion.

Around here it’s not too popular. I don’t know anyone other than me who owns one, although I know the LGS has sold a few.

The local Wally World sells the cartridge. Guess they don’t know it will fit in an ar15 mag. They have a limit of 3 boxes pre day. It doesn’t sell well. Several times they have gotten it in and I will buy my 3 boxes, come back later and get 3 more, then so on and so forth. The last 2 boxes I bought the clerk asked me about them, said one other guy and myself are the only ones that buy it. Other center fire ammo come in and is gone the same day or the next. The 350 LGND just sits there until one of us walks in.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
No Longer Here
25,053 Posts
One of my reloading pages has at least 2 conversations about it a month. Seems popular enough with those guys. You can't find it here in Wally's. Have to hit the mom and pop shops and hope...

They're still hooked on .300BO and 6.5CM around here.

Plus it's still competing with the 450...

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
Walmart near me only sells shotgun ammunition. If they sell other ammo it is always gone. If I want ammo the only place I can pretty much find online.

·
Premium Member
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of my reloading pages has at least 2 conversations about it a month. Seems popular enough with those guys. You can't find it here in Wally's. Have to hit the mom and pop shops and hope...

They're still hooked on .300BO and 6.5CM around here.

Plus it's still competing with the 450...
I have both the 350 LGND and the 450 BM. I have pretty much the same gripes with the 450 that I have with the 350. They are both designed around pistol bullets. They both pretty much are proprietary cases. Sure, you can make the BM cases out of 284 Winchester, but try and find some of those on the cheap! The 450 BM does better with its pistol style bullets . Both are good 200 yard rifles. The 350 LGND is cheaper to shoot and easier on the shoulder. It’s main drawback is the bullet weight. I buy a lot of 147 gr FMJ TC bullets, great for plinking, and almost as much 150 grain, not good for deer the SD is too low and it will not perform well. I have not tried them on deer, I know better. Experience with the 150 grain 35 Remington taught me. It is a known poor performer on CPX2 game. I hunt with 180 grain Speer .358 bullets run through a .356 sizer. Lately I have been using the 170 grain Hornady Spire point, but I will never go any lighter than that for deer sized game.

If I had to choose one caliber……..I don’t, so,I will not stress over it. I like both.

·
No Longer Here
25,053 Posts
I do try to keep up with most of your rambling thoughts on calibers, firearms, and reloading stuff even if I rarely post to it. But I don't really know a whole hell of a lot about either of these. I try to stick to my own house rule of "if you don't know, don't speak."

It's going to come out sounding shitty but, sometimes being forced to read every post as a staffer can be a good thing.

·
Super Moderator
28,618 Posts
It seems to have some acceptance here in Ohio, but we're a straight-walled state.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
Anything but GLOCKS
100 Posts
If you've got a few 350's you won't reload, I'd like a few pieces of brass. I'd pay shipping. I'd like to cut them apart to see how thick the walls are and how much reaming it would take to make 9mm Largo.

·
Banned
Urban Grayman
71 Posts
I would get one if its good with cast bullets. I have a 300blk that was a nightmare making brass & a ammo hoard for. I never shoot it. I have PTSD from breaking 2 of those crap RCBS Partner presses forming brass. It has enough recoil to where you know yer shooting a real gun at least. Was'nt 351 self loading cartridge a thing at one time ?

·
Premium Member
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would get one if its good with cast bullets. I have a 300blk that was a nightmare making brass & a ammo hoard for. I never shoot it. I have PTSD from breaking 2 of those crap RCBS Partner presses forming brass. It has enough recoil to where you know yer shooting a real gun at least. Was'nt 351 self loading cartridge a thing at one time ?
Should of been no problem forming 300 BLK from 223 /5.56. I formed a bunch of them using the Lee Reloader "C" press, although most of mine were formed using a Hornady/Pacific MultiPower, which is a tank of a little press.

The .351 Self Loading was a neat littl round and the 1907 rifle that fired it was also a good one. France issued them in WWI, and the only one I have been able to fire was a French surplus.

The 351 SL cartridge is not quite as powerful as the .350 LGND.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
The 350L is alive and well here in Iowa. As well as some other states. Here, when the 350L came out, hunters started selling their 450 Bushmaster uppers really fast. Why? They felt like far too much recoil for what was needed. Plus, the 350L is pretty much equal for Deer. Cheaper ammo and the fact young hunters can shoot the 350L with ease. Not so much the 450.
Today, there are a multitude of Bolt action rifles available as well as AR uppers. Very popular in Iowa, Indiana, lower Michigan, southern parts of Minnesota, and else where. In Missouri also. Basically any where that you hunt in brushy conditions or even some open fields out to 300 Yards easily. These 350L are wide spread across the Central part of this country for sure. Most have little to no use for a 35 or a 358.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts