Win streak extended to 48-0

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ajole, Aug 22, 2014.

1. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I coach HS Football. We are a little school, about 60 per grade, but this year we have 45 kids out, first time we had over 38 in decades. We have the fourth longest win streak in the nation going now, at 48 straight, we played the first game of the season (and in the state) yesterday. It was ugly, and not our usual explosive type of ball, but we got it done, 20-10.

We have an experienced line, but a new QB, secondary, and two running backs is going to make it tough to get 49. We play the #2 ranked team in the next bigger division next week, so we need to step up. We have beat them for 4 years in a row, but they are always tough and physical.

So, how is your favorite local team shaping up?

2. rgallini

rgallini Member

That's a very impressive record. My son played HS football, safety his freshman year and receiver his last three. Last year was somewhat disappointing since the team only made it past division. Some schools would call that god, but our school won state three years in the past 6 or so. Its amazing the expectations when your team is expected to win all the time.

3. rgallini

rgallini Member

My son is playing college now, freshman year at D3 school near Chicago.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That's the gospel truth, expectations get high. And congrats on the boy, that's got to be pretty neat!

5. My HS was Wayne Warriors in Huber Heights. We always have a great football team, and send many guys to college and still have guys playing NFL ball from Wayne today.

6. Same here. We've had a rough couple years and this year looks no better so far, but we've won 11 state championships and a USA Today national championship over the years and anything less than deep in the playoffs is a bit of a disappointment. My son was a defensive lineman and a tight end and wanted to play in college, but he's studying music education and practicing music 2-3 hours a day doesn't leave much time for football. Ah well, I guess he's got his priorities straight. :) We've put a few guys into the pros including Wesley Woodyard. Good luck this year Ajole!

7. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

When I can I like to drive out to the small town HS football games. In the big city it just isn't as enjoyable as going out to a small town. I also like the looks on people faces when they hear you drove out to podunk just to watch a single A school because you like the atmosphere at the games. Most of the 3A and higher schools make it too much of a production.

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I hear that. We go to the larger schools, they have trainers, a doctor, and who knows what. The announcer sounds like some radio DJ, and the parents look like they watched some NFL primer on how to dress up for a football game.

One of their kids goes down, it's like a major emergency trauma center, and the poor kid has to be evaluated before he can come back. Our kids, you get one or two coaches to help you off, we'll tape you up and send you in again next play.

We have an understanding. If you are injured, let us know, we'll take care of things so you don't do any more damage. If you are hurt...suck it up and deal with it. We have been known to yell "Stop limping" to a kid who got up slow. We have a culture of being tough, and it works for us.

Now, don't get the wrong idea. We do not want kids hurting themselves, or getting beat up. But sometimes, you don't know what you can really do, until you try. So, we make it easy...almost imperative...for the kid to try, to find his limits, to overcome things they didn't think they could. As soon as we know it's not just that initial shock, and there really is something wrong, we take great care of them.

Our parents come wearing steel toed boots or sweaty cowboy hats, and when it's cold, they bring out the dirty old insulated coveralls that are in their truck.
    Half of them don't even have kids playing, it's just where you go on a Friday evening in the fall. And when they see you at the grocery store, they all call you coach.

9. I don't think there's any better entertainment value to be found in the U.S. of A. than a high school football game on a crisp Friday night in the fall. Agreed, it doesn't even matter if it's "your" team. You just can't beat it!

10. papataylor

papataylor Member

My family has taken in a foster child whose playing football for my alma mater.

I was a D1 prospect, my brother a nationally ranks junior golfer, my adopted brother (recently graduated the marines) was a D3 prospect.

And now Patrick (my foster brother) is starting both ways on JV and is on the depth chart for varsity is freshman year. If he sticks with it and listens to Hugh and i, he'll be alright.

Sadly we've got a new coach who fired all the old coaching staff and the program is awful that and our little league programs have gone south fast.

Kids are scared to hit, tackling hasn't been taught, plays aren't ran correctly. We've gone from division champions to bottom of the barrel in 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Thats a sad thing, papataylor.

We just this year started using the Seahawks tackling videos. A little less "face on the ball" and head in front, and more "eyes through the thighs", with no emphasis on head in front. It's easier to wrap up if you go lower, less chance of head contact, less impact overall. Not sure how it will work out in the end, it looks like it allows a yard or two extra gain in momentum on most tackles, but it also looks like it should prevent some injuries, so, we're going that way.

The one thing I always have to emphasize with our young guys is not turning the shoulders. For some reason, it's natural for kids to turn sideways and try to use the shoulder and arm, with very little padding, instead of squaring up and using the top of the shoulder pad. The other big thing is, bend your knees to get low, not just your waist. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to see the running backs try to throw a block by simply ducking their head.:rolleyes:

12. congrats Ajole, quite the accomplishment.

I don't follow local HS sports here. I am still loyal to where I grew up. Follow it religiously.
    Go Elder!