Winchester 1890

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Zone' started by moona11, Dec 5, 2014.

1. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

A friend just gave me his grand pas 1890 to refinish. So he canise it to teach his kids to shoot. He wants it redone. It shoots 22 short which are a pain to find. I have 50 to give him.

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Nice. He's going to convert a $1000 gun into a $400 gun. Perfect!:rolleyes:

On the other hand, if it needs refinished to protect it, then maybe it's ok. Just don't go overboard on it.

3. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Pictures before you do anything... don't ruin the value it might have as is!

4. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Before I ruined the value of a collectable rifle, I would buy the kid a cheap single shot .22 to learn on. Do you know what model of 1890 it is? (first,second,third)

If it is a first model solid frame, you could be ruining a $2,000 - $15,000 rifle.

5. moona11

I will post pic of it as I got it. Its missing all the wood. Sights and half of the screws and parts. Bluing is gone. His grand pa lost the parts years ago. I asked him if he was sure about me fixing it and he said he wants it fixed and no flash. He wants his kids shooting it like he did growing up. All I received was the barrel feeding tube and action that was put together wrong. Before I do anything I will post picks for you. I had to order 15 parts not counting stock and pump handle.

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Dude...that's not refinishing, that's rebuilding!

Carry on, pardner.;)

7. moona11

Here is some pic this is all I got from him. It looks Luke it has some old blue left but its faded paint. Its a sad site had one a a kid and lost it at some point. Ser# 100***

Attached Files:

8. moona11

This is what I got for it to day

Attached Files:

9. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Barrel square, 6 sides or crappy lighting? I say have fun. Most likely will improve the value.

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Looks like a hex. They made them in octagonal, some say there is no hexagonal, and I can find NO pics of any actual hexes...but LOTS of people say they have a hex.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  11. moona11

6 sides so what's the verdict fix it or not? He just has a family history with it and wants it done. But your opinion matters to me. Feeling cuddly today :-D

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Six sides? For certain?

That's extremely odd. It does say Winchester on the barrel? Any proof marks or other marks?

Yes, it needs to be rebuilt. You do have the action, bolt, lifter, all that? These are amazing, strong, beautiful guns.

Here's mine. .22WRF take down. You can see the full coverage solid steel lifter in position with the bolt slid back.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  13. moona11

I will check but what's in pic is what he had. Winchester marked on barrel with all the rest of the correct wording and marks.

14. FlashBang

No kidding... it's closer to manufacturing then it is repairing at this point. :D

15. FlashBang

I checked out your pictures of it Moon.... it looks to be an 1890 Third Model, if you can get the serial number off it AJ or I can look it up and give you a DoM and its exact generation.
    And here were no hexagon 1890's made, only octagons according to all information I have on Winchesters.

Unless professionally brought back to original, its only value is going to be sentimental, and that makes it priceless. ;)

16. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Exactly. Nowhere can I find anything official about hex barrels, but TONs of guys say the have a hex. But...every single one I can find that was called on it, and checked, said they were mistaken, it's an octagon.

And nowhere can I find a picture of a hex from Winchester.

The 8 sides is so much easier to make with old time tools and tech, as its two squares.

But man, that picture....:confused:

And a huge big plus one to values.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014