Winchester Ranger SXT 127-grain +P+ JHP

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by rrjenn, Jan 19, 2008.

1. rrjenn

rrjenn Guest

Hi, I recently purchased 2 of the 9mm compact pistols, and I'm looking for a good defensive round for them. I'd heard that the Winchester Ranger SXT 127-grain +P+ JHP round was the same as the Black Talon and that it was the best. I was wondering if anyone has fired this ultra high pressure round through their C9 and was there any problems. I already ordered two boxes of them and a case of 9mm Luger (9x19mm) 115gr FMJ Remington UMC to use for target practice. Anyone see a problem with this ammo? Any advice would be much appreciated as I'm more of a revolver kinda guy and this is my first semi-auto.

2. perley03

perley03 Guest

Last night I fired 10rds of CorBond +P 127gr through my wife's C9 and didn't have any malfunctions. They are a snappy round, but I have not taken the C9 apart yet to check for any signs of overpressuring the barrel.

3. I use the Winchester Supreme SXT those are exactly the black talon just renamed but I use 147gr +p I like the heaver bullet and these rounds are battle tested by me and they work very well.

4. rrjenn

rrjenn Guest

Really? NIC Law Enforcement Supply seems to say the ranger shells are the new black talons. That's where I bought them
    www.nles.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=1616

I'm no expert but read some guys report online to stay away from the heavier grain jhp 9mm that they were weak, worthless and malfunction-prone rounds.
    www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

Of course different ammo works different from one gun to another and I value your experience with the C9.
    Thanks

5. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

I have 155 gr Ranger for my 40S&W carbine [4095] later I will be getting some for use with my C9 [ I had actually ordered some but was never able to pick it up] Right now I use 147 Gr silver tips for work.

6. Kevin84

Kevin84 Guest

+P's will shoot all day in a C9. From my experience, they're also more accurate than a standard round at 25 yards. I wouldn't feed one a steady diet of +P+ though. Remember that this is indeed a cheaper pistol and many $5-600+ 9mm's discourage the use of +P+'s.

7. rrjenn

rrjenn Guest

They say to practice with what you will be using for defense, and that is sage advice, but I can't afford to plink with that expensive of a round. I'll keep it loaded for bear but practice with regular fmj rounds. Actually, my S&W .357 mag 6 shooter Model 686 is my weapon of choice. A true workhorse. It is by far the best handgun for defense. IMHO. :lol:

8. Well I can tell you from experience that the 147 gr SXT are extremely good and having proved that in battle they work and didn't cause any problems I have no problem firing a heaver bullet. When I went to the range the +p heaver bullets gave me better results than the 115gr WWB I shoot for target practice

9. rrjenn

rrjenn Guest

Well I reckon I'll have to give the heavier rounds a try. My brother out in Mesa has a few boxes of the 147gr he uses in his commie 9mm I'll give them a try when I get out there this coming spring.

10. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

I want some Supreme SXT's in .380... bad. They are hard to find here.