Winchester youth 370

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by travis9mm, Jan 30, 2016.

1. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

Got a rough winchester 370 im going to restore. Its rough but in decent shape. Needs the furniture restored and the barrel and hardware cleaned. In great shape i see them listed for $125 ish. So this is for me. Not resale. My question is, being thay its not worth much can i go after the rust with some steel wool and oil? Here's some pics.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  2. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

[​IMG]

Whats the best way to remove this surface rust?
    [​IMG]

3. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I would probably start with naval jelly.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yep. Naval jelly or some other chemical rust treatments. Then you get to mess with the resulting pits and such.:p

5. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Yep what they said. Then blue the thing. Its cheap to do just a lot of hand work. Looky you now have a new hobby.

6. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    .410, right? I looked it up and they also came in 20g.

Scotch-Brite is good for surface rust, but that looks deeper.
    Neat Project!

7. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

Thanks all. Pretty excited. Im contemplating cutting the barrel down to 18" and making my own front forearm. Couple videos I've seen they used a copper wire wheel then rustoleum high temp paint. Or leave it all factory and have the trigger guard, trigger, and break lever dipped gold.

8. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

Yes 410. Im also going to order a .22 sleve to make it a combo gun

9. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Why cut off the barrel? You will lose the choke by doing that. Be lucky to hit any thing after that. A 410 has little shot to begin with. Length it is at will give more velocity also.

10. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

It wont be used for hunting. Thinkin bout a house gun/campin gun. Chances are itll stay full length. I cant see the chamber size. 2 something through 3". Anyone know if its 2 1/2-3"?

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    It's 2 1/2 to 3 inches. .410 came in a 2 inch length a long, long time ago, but that's rare, usually in old walking sticks or other odd guns.

12. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

Hey thanks! Pretty pumped to get this done. Thinkin bout getting the .22 sleeve and 9mm sleeve. Think itd be cool to have a 22 and 9mm long gun