Without a paddle(s)...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by papataylor, Jan 1, 2015.

1. papataylor

papataylor Member

As many of you may know I'm an avid hunter, especially love duck/goose hunting.

This past Saturday I had the adventure of a lifetime. Hilarious and scary, I've got to share it with you guys!

Having finally got a free day to hit the river my brother and I loaded up the dekes, guns, and our canoe.

We typically hunt from kayaks. Floating down stream and "pinning" the game or taking them on the fly, with great success.

This trip we decided to use the canoe so we could load the dekes and lay out blinds and stop on islands to call in and take ducks/geese as they "decoy".

30 degrees Fahrenheit, river was up 10ish feet, and moving rapidly with ice in the water.

Down stream we go, heading for our first island. We approach, miss the peak and make for the shore.

Disaster strikes. The class 1 Rapids pick up considerable speed breaking around the island, bringing the rear of the canoe around and flipping us instantly.

Cold like I've never felt before.

Brother was in his waders and jacket, relatively water proof. I on the other hand had under armour camo. Soaked and freezing we immediately gain our footing after battling the current and make for the canoe, grabbing it and our gear along the way.

We recover everything but the guns and paddles. Brother misses the paddles, I high step downstream after them. As they pull away I decided to dive for them, and nearly drown as a result of the cold causing my body to draw up. Unable to breath.

I force myself above the water and regain myself, having missed the paddles. We search for the guns and find brothers.

By this point I'm shivering uncontrollably so I remove my clothes and try to warm my body moving around. We manage to find my shotgun after an hour.

Luckily we saw another hunter out who owns a kayak/guided hunt shop nearby. We call his business (thank GOD for waterproof cases!!!!!!) and get ahold of his cell.

I clothe myself, we load the canoe and load it on the back of his boat. All the while they stare at us like we shouldn't be alive! They bring us to shore, we change into dry clothes and head home.

The river reminded us that it demands respect and should never be taken lightly.

But we'll be back!

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

2. bluharley

bluharley Member

Wow! Glad your phones worked, you might not have made it out in time. Wow...

3. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Amazing how quick water sucks the heat outta you!.... Glad you came out mostly unscathed Papa!..... How's many hours did it take to get your testicles to crawl outta your belly?....

4. papataylor

papataylor Member

We're beat up and sore but thankful to be here!

I'm still searching for the twins.

5. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

A story for the campfire! Glad you are OK.

6. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Good story Papa....... Lotsa people without much cold weather experience need to hear just how quick, wet will smoke you out.

7. papataylor

papataylor Member

It's incredible. Really does feel like your being stabbed all over. The second time I went under I remember thinking "fight it. If you don't make yourself move and get up you're going to die."

Nothing motivates like impending doom lol

8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    If the water is cold enough, I have read that 30 seconds can be fatal, due to incapacitation... You go under and cannot move.

9. papataylor

papataylor Member

You really can't. My arms drew up I had to concentrate entirely on moving them

10. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I did the New Years polar plunge for years. Saw a 30 foot lane in the ice on the lake. Jump in and swim for the other end. Get out and head for the sauna! Yes it makes you want to curl in a ball and not move as your muscles seize up. We always had EMT's and an ambulance on standby, it can cause heart attacks if you have a weak heart. Raised a lot of money for charity though!

11. EvilE424

EvilE424 Death to Dishonor Lifetime Supporter

Polar plunged also but what papa went through sounds miserable. Glad you guys are safe

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Been there, but mine was summer time, wading chest deep across the top of a beaver pond. Never even got my head under, but just couldn't make my body breathe. Has to consciously tell myself to keep walking, all my head wanted to do was stop and figure out what was wrong. Really weird.

Glad you made it!:)

13. undeRGRound

INDY
    Was the water really cold?
    It does not have to be freezing water to give one hypothermia... :eek:

14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Dude....it's December! Or January, depending on how you count...

But it's winter! Of course it's cold water!

15. Johnny_B_Goode

Johnny_B_Goode Member

I hunt from small boats that can be turned over. I super glue the top on a milk jug. After the glue dries I tie a short piece of rope and a metal snap on the jug. Now if my gun goes in the drink I can find it. The jug floats with my gun tied on it. You can buy floats at Bass Pro but it is so seldom I hunt from the canoe I probably couldn't find the float when I am ready to hunt.

Most of the time I do my duck hunting in my fields. At some point during the season ducks and geese will fly over my fields like clockwork. Pass shooting is much easier and I probably get more limits than people who get in the water and act like a duck.

16. topper

topper Member

glad the both of you are fine. most people don't know when one goes under water, in the winter, the air seems forced out of the lungs. in a canoe, seeing the water coming in, the water looks black. lost the rods/ tackle. tracked deer to an island once, same lake. the deer broke the ice to the island. put waders on, walking stick, rifle slung, got about 1/2 way to the island, just a bunch of unseen bolders, went under the ice and water. by the time i got back to the van, clothes froze stiff, my hands were frozen closed. took everything to unsling the rifle & make my fingers open enough to get the keys to open the door. was 150 mi. from home, only had to drive 30 miles to a friends house. lucky i knew where she put the xtra house key. the deer related story, 39 yrs. ago, as then and now carry xtra clothes, on my back or the veh.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  17. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Real important information for folks that go boating in cold waters. Read

How to make a hypothermia kit by Steve Isaac

http://www.watertribe.com/Magazine/Y2002/M12/SteveIsaacMakeAHypothermiaKit.aspx

You'll also want to read the "How to Modify Your Space Blanket" article found in the column to the left.

Great articles that may just save Your life.

Lots of articles in the same Magazine.

eldar

18. GLUGLUG

GLUGLUG Supporting Member

NC
    So you CAN lose all your guns in a boating accident....that's where all mine went officer.

19. undeRGRound

INDY

You have summer in December? Is Utah in the southern hemisphere? ;) I was referring to your post Mr. Doof :p

Answered right after you! Didn't think a "quote" was needed, but I was wrong :D

20. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    papataylor - very glad you guys came through. Cold water can remove body heat real fast. That was one of those bad luck, good luck scenarios.