Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

Wood on an AR

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  47_MasoN_47 
#1 ·
#5 ·
I have to agree its good for safe queens and wall hangers.

Wood is pretty but it has a couple of issues. First its heavy, second it can catch fire under very heavy fire rates. But then that can be cool also. Stick with composites they may not be the most attractive but they are very functional.

#6 ·
The quilted maple one is beautiful...

I think that using the proper wood would solve pretty much all the "problems" with wood stocks. I come from a background in Guitar/Bass building and one of the main things I've learned is if one wood won't work, there's always another wood that will.

#10 ·
ironwood desgns has been around a while. they garnered a lot of bad rep by screwing a couple guys on arfcom after their original wood stocks split after less than one full magazine of use. yes it looks neat for a wall hanger but in real world use it wouldnt last.

SW
Bingo-- I think their stuff "looks" great-- but would not put it on a gun I intended to shoot-- heard the same thing you did. No proof from me actually seeng it, but think that at least the hanguards would be fragile...

#12 ·
thats just wrong.
It's funny... there are 2 types of people. Plastic gun guys, and wood gun guys. I have a few AR's, and hate them. They shoot where I point them, but I would pick up my Garand, or a K31 first. The plastic is too "impersonal" to me. I think the walnut makes it look, and feel like a FAL, and what the original M16 should have been if molded plastic wasn't to damn cheap.

Weight wasn't the reason they used plastic, that becomes obvious when you pick up any rifle with out the light weight barrel. The plastic gives you a front heavy rifle, and thats why they sell 4 lp weights for your butt stock. They used plastic instead of wood because it was faster, and cheaper to produce. This becomes more obvious with the AR-18. They nix'd anything forged, and went with a sheet metal design, and later a plastic lower. Cost was the deciding factor there, there is no argument there.

Think about it, as mentioned a post or 2 up, how much do you think your evil black rifle would have cost if it was an evil walnut rifle?

Wood > Plastic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.