Wood stove chimney pipe help.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lcback, Dec 13, 2014.

1. I am getting a wood stove free. A jotul 3tdic-2 to be exact.
    This is a huge help as propane for my furnace just keeps getting more expensive.

But I went to get a quote on a chimney today, and was given an estimate of $2178 and that's with me doing the install. And that is way way out my budget. I was thinking $600 and that was comeing out of my savings.

My problem Is I don't know anything about chimneys. Does anyone know where I could look up the prices online of all the pieces? I have an itemized quote so I onow all the pieces i should need.

Also does anyone have experience with using an existing chimney? We have a fireplace in the living room upstairs but my wife is insisting the stove go in the basement where we have 0 heat right now. Is there a way to put it below the fireplace chimney and pipe it into it?

I don't expect many replies here I know wood stoves tend to be a dieing thing as the price of wood goes up. But any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

Best place to start is with your local building department for the building codes for what is required. Such as where you can run single wall and where double wall and/or triple wall is necessary. Then check places like Lowes or Home Depot for the parts.

3. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Triple insulated pipe is best and safest against chimney fires. Also most expensive. Not knowing how tall you need to go etc hard to add more... follow instructions that come with the chimney pipe for clearances, use of pass through boxes etc.

4. DEDUBE

DEDUBE Si vis pacem para bellum Member

I burnt wood for 21 years in a basement wood furnace. Before they made insulated stove pipe all they had was triple wall pipe that was cooled with air. I fought crescote and chimmney fires all the time. The furnace design was part of the problem that I corrected the rest was due to the chimmney pipe over cooling and causing cresote build up. Any time you chimmney temp is less that 250 degrees you cause cresote to build up. It is amazing how much of a chimmney fire a 1/8 inch coating of cresote will cause. I don't see how you could pipe your basement stove into the fireplace because you need the chimmney pipe to draw the air out which means it needs to be a sealed chimmney pipe. Lots of do and don't to installing a wood stove so follow the professionals advise and your stove will be safe and useable for many years.

5. Thanks for your insight guys. I beleive the building code here only requires a double wall pipe on the outside of the house. Single wall inside. The quote I got yesterday was a fully insulated double wall pipe. I have a feeling they were more expensive than need be. As they were advertising as "premium all fuel system chimneys" as much as I hate going international it looks like this is a Chinese steel project

6. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

How much that stove run for normally?
    You got that free, wouldn't skimp on installation.
    Free stove is not going to do you any good if the house burns down.
    But I feel your financial pain :(

7. While you are right. This isn't just a couple hundred more. I would have to drain my savings and still use $600 credit to go that route. Then I won't have money to buy more propane for the furnace. My only other heat source. this stove will definitely help heat and cut down on propane usage but it won't heat the whole house by itself on these 10 degree windy days

8. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Good thing I know nothing about wood stoves apart from seeing them in a store once.
    Only wood I use is for the BBQ...
    You have any friends that can come help you out with some free labor in exchange for a beer?

9. Labor won't be a problem my dad has put in a few over the years.

10. Check out DuraVent on their web page, or Royal King, Home Depot etc.. I just converted my garage into a family room over the summer. Looked at all the options and DuraVent was the best for safety and cost. Cost me right around $700 with me doing the install!

http://www.duravent.com/Index.aspx

You can either go through the wall or up the attic. Both single story, double story, stick built, modular, or mobile home!

Check it out, might help!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  11. Thanks. I'm thinking going through the concrete wall then up the 16ft. Outside the house.

I will start calling around about duravent.
    My father claims going through the concrete dosnt require any through the wall kits. Just the right size hole/pipe as it isn't combustible.

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Guess where my link in post 3 goes to.
    But you could go here.

http://www.duravent.com/Index.aspx

Duravent says if you use Dura Plus, you need an insulated thimble in the concrete.

13. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

High heat will weaken concrete so you definitely want the insulated thimble thingie.

14. Yes that's where I first saw the duravent brand. Thank you ajole.

Okay insulated wall thimble it is.

15. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Modern triple wall is insulated, heck it was insulated back in 1979 when I helped build dads first new house.

16. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Watch Craigslist for someone disgusted with the work of wood burning. I have seen pipe that was only 1 year old go for 10 cents on the dollar

Guessing your location but here are a few links

$400 http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/for/4765137707.html

http://youngstown.craigslist.org/mat/4740918924.html
    nice price $100 http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/for/4790545595.html

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mat/4796584286.html

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  17. Thanks Mary didnt think about craigs list. I may check out the one in greensburg. The question there is can it go on the outside of my house?

18. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Many run insulated chimney pipe on the outside wall here. Can cause more problems with draft and cleaning though. Friend built an insulated chase around his using rock wool insulation for fireproofing and cement board siding on steel studs. Access panel at the bottom to get to the clean out T. This held in more heat and helped the above issues.