Working up some loads

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by jwburke, Apr 6, 2015.

1. jwburke

jwburke Member

I am trying to work up some hand loads for a couple of pistols and I tried some in the C9. It looks like I just need some elevation adjustment. Both of these were from 10' one was RN FMJ and the other was a cast RN. The cast all keyholed but hit in basically the same place the others did. Just gotta get the cast bullets working. They are cheap because I cast them out of free scrap lead!

JOE
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2kl3lgosa0o0tv/20150406_155659.jpg?dl=0
    ]https://www.dropbox.com/s/uyl3r1fjsepsbqt/20150406_155638.jpg?dl=0

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Thread moved to appropriate forum and double post deleted.

3. Leading is a problem with bullet fit. Please keep in mind Fit is King and Hardness matters when it matters.

Here is what you need to do:

Slug your bore.

Cast your bullets so they are 1 to 2 thousands over grove size.

For the best site on cast bullets follow this link: http://castboolits.gunloads.com

4. Heavier bullet or hotter load will raise your point of impact. Heavier bullet=slower acceleration=more time for muzzle rise etc

5. I didn't think muzzle rise happened until the bullet left the barrel.

6. histed

histed Supporting Member

If you don't mind me being nebby, what mold did you used? All of my 9s seem to like the Lee 356-125 2R. Type of lead (WW, range scrap...whatever) doesn't seem to matter. I size mine at 358 and tumble lube with 50/50. No Problems. Agree with previous post - Cast Boolits is the best place for information.

7. That is only true for what we can see. The muzzle both raises above 0 and drops below 0 very soon after the powder is ignited.

The real key to accuracy and it's repeatability is in timing the peak pressure to the bullet leaving the barrel at the barrel's 0 point(ideally). All the things we do to make a 'good load' is to do this.

PS. Maybe I'm talking about something different than what you are. You might be talking about what comes from recoil.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  8. noylj

noylj Member

Keyholing is almost always due to a bullet too small for the groove diameter of the barrel (there are other causes, but that is by far the most common reason).
    0.357" lead bullets tend to work best in common 9x19 barrels.
    Did you cast them and tumble lube in LLA or did you size them without slugging your barrel or what exactly did you do?

9. 'm no guru just my observations. And yes recoil that pushes the gun back and moves the barrel up.

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Actually...some say hotter loads in pistols shoot lower, as they exit before the muzzle moves as much.

An extremely small amount...;)

11. Muzzle rise starts as soon as the recoil does. The moment of ignition.
    Rise/recoil also depends much on powder burn rate. Slower powder/heavier
    bullet also gives more push and less muzzle flip.

Bottom line, Heavier charge gives more muzzle rise.