Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking online for once fired brass and if I am doing the math right it is going for about a dime/case. At that price, is reloading still cost effective?

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I agree with both SW and SV.

Been told that brass can be reloaded as much 10-12 times for low to medium power loads. If that is the case you'd need to divide the brass cost by more than 1.

But then again I can cipher like a Wall Street banker to justify something I really want to buy in the 1st place.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with both SW and SV.

Been told that brass can be reloaded as much 10-12 times for low to medium power loads. If that is the case you'd need to divide the brass cost by more than 1.

But then again I can cipher like a Wall Street banker to justify something I really want to buy in the 1st place.
Come to think of it, instead of buying once fire brass, I could just buy quality ammo with the knowledge that reloading will get part of my money back. I think I like that idea better!

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
I have never purchased just brass - when I started shooting, I saved all of my brass from the factory loads I purchased - I now have about 500 that I reload with. With current prices, it's cheaper for me to by a box of wwb at wall mart and shoot them for the brass than to buy new brass. (about $19.00 for a box of wwb, the same winchester brass runs $22/100 at the local gun store)

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Or just do like I do. When you're at the range, just start picking up every piece of brass you see, on every range, at every shooting station. That's how you get 5 gallon buckets full of just about every caliber of pistol brass you want to reload.

Yeah, it's kind of against the rules, but the range master looks the other way in my case since I volunteer alot of time out at the range helping out with chores and stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Or just do like I do. When you're at the range, just start picking up every piece of brass you see, on every range, at every shooting station. That's how you get 5 gallon buckets full of just about every caliber of pistol brass you want to reload.

Yeah, it's kind of against the rules, but the range master looks the other way in my case since I volunteer alot of time out at the range helping out with chores and stuff.
I have a hill out back that I can shoot into. I don't plan to spend a lot of time at the range. Plus, as you said, when I do go to the range picking up other peoples brass is against the rules! I do pick my own up though.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I save my brass from bought rounds and will begin reloading as soon as all the necessary items that I have ordered come in. My range is an old logging road in the woods behind my house. I take a king size sheet and use it to catch the brass. Found out that it is much easier that way than sifting through the leaves. I always try and invite someone so I can scrounge their brass also.

Primal, I'm willing to bet all the free work you do at the range more than makes up for a little brass scrounging? The barter system is alive and well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Financially it pays. But that is not as important to me as just shooting ones I loaded/tweak. Improved accuracy is [glow=red,2,300]priceless[/glow]

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Reloading isn't as cost effective as you'd think. Unless you shoot a lot, if you figure in your time it ain't cost effective at all. I've learned a whole lot reloading, spent countless hours with my sons, and generally had a blast. On top of all that it's a damn rewarding feeling rapid firing a couple of magazines of your own ammo. :devilsidesmile:

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Reloading is not only enjoyable but also cost effective especially if you load or shoot enough.

I have cases of ammo stored that I've reloaded but I also have 2 presses and one of them is VERY fast, I can do hundreds of rounds in an hour.

If your going to shoot low amounts and only stock maybe 500 rounds then buy your WWB and reload those as needed, if you're going to lay in some serious amounts of ammo then go with the once fired brass.
As mentioned above the brass can be reloaded numerous times.

Where I do alot of my shooting there is nothing against picking up brass but one should ask first not only the range master but also the person whose brass you are picking up.

I've picked up hundreds of cases at a time from one person just by asking them on the other hand if someone were to just come and start scrounging my brass I'd be upset to say the least. Always ask first.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Reloading isn't as cost effective as you'd think. Unless you shoot a lot, if you figure in your time it ain't cost effective at all. I've learned a whole lot reloading, spent countless hours with my sons, and generally had a blast. On top of all that it's a damn rewarding feeling rapid firing a couple of magazines of your own ammo. :devilsidesmile:
I know that you can't really figure in your time, but if it came to picking up an overtime shift at work so that I have the money for ammo, or spending the evening reloading, I'm pretty sure I would rather spend the evening reloading. Plus they can't tax you on the money you save!

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
I work in Nuclear Medicine at a hospital and all the radiopharmaceuticals we get in come in lead lined containers. We can't trash it because of environmental regs so I save it. No clips to have to get out like wheel weights. Some of it is painted but most is just wrapped in plastic.
LOL, too true Delmar! But be certain that someone out there is scratching their head trying to find a way to work it INTO the Tax Code!! :'(

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Yep, they are probably loosing sleep trying to figure out another way to tax us. I don't think they will ever be able to place a tax on the relaxation reloading gives me. Setting down at the casting and reloading bench really is "my time" and like the commercial says "priceless". That is one of the ways I can recharge my battery. Doing what I want and at my own pace is priceless.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep, they are probably loosing sleep trying to figure out another way to tax us. I don't think they will ever be able to place a tax on the relaxation reloading gives me. Setting down at the casting and reloading bench really is "my time" and like the commercial says "priceless". That is one of the ways I can recharge my battery. Doing what I want and at my own pace is priceless.
There are only two ways that I am aware of that the government can tax you on your own "sweat equity" and both involve real estate. I bought an old run down vacant house for $57K eight years ago and fixed it up with my own hands. Now the state has it valued at $120 K for property tax. Also If I sold it for $120 they would tax me for the "capitol gain" on $63K. Still it was quite gratifying turning a 100 plus year old run down house into a home!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Delmar: Don't know where you live, but being an ex- real estate agent. I believe they can only tax you on the amount you DO NOT reinvest into real estate. Therefore, If you buy something for the $120,000, you pay NO capital gains..... you just have to keep going up everytime you sell........ until you reach retirement, and then you can take the whole ball of wax tax free....... Wisconsin rules anyway.....check with your accountant..............

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Delmar: Don't know where you live, but being an ex- real estate agent. I believe they can only tax you on the amount you DO NOT reinvest into real estate. Therefore, If you buy something for the $120,000, you pay NO capital gains..... you just have to keep going up everytime you sell........ until you reach retirement, and then you can take the whole ball of wax tax free....... Wisconsin rules anyway.....check with your accountant..............
Thanks for the correction. Learning is good!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I load for 9mm and it seems most places are charging what it costs me to get 100 loaded WWB. I buy the WWB and reload the empties.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts